Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Idea of a National Divorce/Splitting Up the Country

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cflgator83, Mar 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    This goes on for 7 pages?!? That's scary

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    @Orange_and_Bluke You hit the disagree button but you know it's true. Women in Saudi Arabia can now drive cars. That would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

In the US it is acceptable for a wife to make more than their husband. The GOP has women in leadership positions These are just small examples

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Sadly, it is true that some people predicate their relationships on political affiliation. However, this is only some people, and even those people have exceptions. It seems to me that you are suggesting that you aren’t like this, as you refusing to let the political affiliation of your coworkers stop you from being friendly with them. Maybe they are more like you than you think.

I would recommend the book, I Never Thought of it Way by Monica Guzman. It’s all about this issue of political differences cause interpersonal divides, but it offers some real insights into how we can overcome this. And it also highlights one of (but not the only) American organizations that is devoted to this cause, Braver Angels. I am a member of that group, and I think you might also benefit from experiencing the way that they enable humanity among people of different political persuasions. It also might ease your mind a bit to even know that such organizations exist.

People don’t necessarily want to hate the outgroup, cfl. They mostly just want to be in high esteem among their ingroup, and owning the other side is one easy path toward this end. However, I believe most of us would prefer a different path.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I see the patriot crowd wants to break up the country. lol

Fortunately the extremists, while annoyingly loud, are just the fringe. The majority of us adults can get along just fine no matter who we vote for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    At some point “progress” is questionable. What more is there to do. The problem is politicians push for crap that doesn’t improve anything, they just need to come up with something to appear they are doing their job. In some ways, we need less progress. It seems our left enjoys playing SJW too much. You guys are inventing problems to give yourself a cause to fight for.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    None of that sounds like a place where Christians who actually act like Christians would want to live

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    All of that is besides the point. It's not a matter of what is or isn't needed. The fact is the world is changing and will continue to change. There is nothing that you can do about it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Women can vote. Black people have the same rights as white people. That’s in stark contrast to what conservatives believed 150 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    I would say I'm friendly with them because I have to be. Otherwise they'll make sure I'm fired. Women have all the control in the workplace and can get any man fired with just two words, sexual harassment.

A lot of them seem nice and yes most are friendly with me. Some of them are actually pretty good looking and I wonder if a relationship would be possible. Then I find out that of course they are Democrat. It's usually pretty easy, just check facebook, instagram, snapchat or tiktok. Once they post their liberal talking points I immediately shut down. I know it would never work. Even if I wanted it to work my family would lose their minds of me dating a liberal. I would have to make a choice between that woman and my family.

And again it's hard knowing they really hate me, they just don't know it. They would hate me if they really knew how I aligned myself politically. One of the best things of being a libertarian, you are hated by both sides, lol.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    Luckily this discussion is probably mute and we're probably going to be nuked back into the stone age eventually. Some days I say bring on the nukes, lol.

Then all of humanity will reset and begin again. That's when liberalism will be defeated.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The new zen use of “discourse” in light of screaming ideological talking points has one logical ending. True believers do not reason. Who supports this? Pocket liners, mentally ill, watchers of ancient aliens, the bachelor and finding Bigfoot. And of course, China and Russia.

12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I just skipped here to the end to see what we decided. I wonder if we are splitting it up and who gets the better national parks?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Democrats can have Jellystone.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Woke or not woke.

dumb stuff is dumb.

15. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

16. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Dec 31, 2016
    From my point of view a civil war is not in the making nor is splitting up the nation into individual sovereign countries. To this point no one has identified any one issue or culmination of issues that would mobilize Americans to take up arms against one another.

So what exactly would happen if such a scenario could be implemented. I emphasize could.
    • On a country level - would we implement the same scenario as the EU? A conglomeration of nations that rules over the entire economic stratosphere of Europe? I think not.
    • Trade is inevitable as not one nation can be solely independent. What would treaties look like and what would they include? The US cannot provide for itself and must trade with foreign nations to supply our needs. This includes China, Russia, India, Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, Canada, Europe etc....
    • Security of a sovereign nation becomes inevitable. How do you stop your neighbor let alone a neighbor with foreign alliances from impeding on your own sovereignty?
    • Then there is the matter of US forces spread across the globe. How would one begin to divide that group up into their selective individual nations? Are they to become a mixture of the members of UN forces?
    • The individual governments gets even messier with treaties, alliances, trade, sanctions, mobility and the list goes on.
    In the end the realization will be that we are better off working towards resolving our differences under a blanket of security that protects the independence we currently enjoy.

Where we are headed is in the direction of multipolarity on an economic scale. This means the globe and the US will have to adjust in the way we conduct business with each other. If anyone believes that humans will choose political differences over economic prosperity as the deciding factor in their daily lives then I might suggest you buy an island and hope you become self sufficient.

Five Reasons for the Trend to Multipolarity

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, you are the one saying they hate you. Not them. There are definitely people who are just fine being close with someone of a different political persuasion. I know many myself, and I’d like to think I am one. Are you? If so, is that what you want to be?

I am sort of libertarian myself, and i think your missing an upside to that school of thought: it shares some tenets with both sides, so you have a natural way to bridge to both groups. (The book I recommended above has strategies for this). Now, I do think that some of your views social on women are likely to be problematic with potential partners, but I understand that you are open to modifying those views. Give these people a chance, you might be surprised.

In the end, strong relationships aren’t built on sharing a belief, but sharing a life. Be loyal and generous with your care and concern. Do nice things for people. Be curious about what they care about. If someone is like this with me, I sure as heck don’t care who they vote for.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Our federal system has really turned out to be a miracle, hasn’t it?

And indeed, I don’t think any two of us agree about all our beliefs, so there really is no option but to have a representative that differs from their voters. And this brings up another American miracle, our constitutional checks on tyranny. Admittedly, a few of these have been breached, but all politicians agendas are frustrated, and just so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You really need to expand your media diet.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This only happens if both countries also secede from the internet and the world community.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.