Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Idea of a National Divorce/Splitting Up the Country

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cflgator83, Mar 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So when somebody else tells you that you should be governed differently because their opinion is that your form of governance is the "wrong way to govern," they are trying to dominate you, while when you do exactly the same thing, you just "have an opinion?" Yeah, nothing at all hypocritical there at all.

So would Austin be able to break off from the rest of Texas and go to some other country/form a city state in your little fantasy? Or would you seek to "dominate" them?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    But I don’t want any of this. Life isn’t totally about politics. There are other quality of life factors. I suspect most Floridians want to be and FL and most Californians want to be in CA. But now you’ve made life miserable for between 40-48% of the current residents.

Also I’m not sure how you get mountain west is socially liberal. Other than Denver, it’s pretty conservative and by adding all the surrounding states you’ve made it socially conservative.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So from a practical perspective, how is the south currently “bothered” by the NE? How is CA bothered by flyover?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The other major problem with the approach as stated is that you would eventually see the exact same problems within some of these regions. Illinois and iOS are both Midwest and neighboring states, but are miles apart politically. Same with Colorado and Wyoming, Virginia and West Virginia, and increasingly Georgia and Alabama, and NC and SC.
    So the same divisive politics in deciding policies would arise again. And once a region became semi homogenous, then smaller issues would be made bigger and used to divide people, because that’s what politicians do, they use issues to divide. And in 100 years we will have the exact same conversation.
    Or we could just re-learn the value of compromise and actually listen to those we disagree with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    Verbalizing a true belief is not domination. Saying words to someone else is not domination. If a man walks up to a woman and expresses his belief she should date him, has the man dominated her? No, he has not. If he tells her she is wrong for rejecting him has he dominated her? No, he has not. Domination goes a step further than that. Domination implies imposing your will over and against someone else's will. In the case of people in Austin have I done that? No, I have not. You redefined the word "domination" to suit your argument, and then you tried to smear me with your new definition of the word. That is deceitful.

The people who are willing to part ways and let each one have their own country...that is not domination. The 51% who want to rule over the 49% and keep them prisoners under a government they don't want to be ruled by...that is domination.

If Austin could make their little city/state work as their own country, then I would be fine with that.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    What would happen is people in Colorado would have to go back to the West Coast. The people in Virginia are very similar to those in West Virginia outside of NOVA/DC Beltway. The NOVA/DC Beltway people would have to go into Maryland and the Northeast. Those in Atlanta would have to go back to Northeast. It would essentially get people back where they belong.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    After #MeToo many women would consider that type of conversation domination.

Heck after #MeToo if you're an average or below averaging looking man and try to talk to a very attractive women you're likely to get threatened with a harassment charge just for trying to talk to her. Just saying.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    FWIW, I would not tell a woman she is wrong for rejecting me. I am not like that, but I included that to emphasize that domination is more than just disagreeing with someone and saying they are wrong. Domination is the imposition of one's will over and against someone else's will.

9. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    Agreed. Conservatives in general just want to be left alone. Is it liberals who are trying to impose domination over Conservatives. That's why they want a national popular vote. Because once they get that the Coastal Elites can then truly dominate over Middle America.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    By and large conservatives are left alone. But they watch Fox News and see crazy stories of what is going on in CA or Chicago and they become outraged. Rearranging the map doesn’t change anything. These will still be crazy stories in CA and Chicago.

What some of you don’t get is you are seeing what you want to see. You are choosing to watch crazy stories from CA and Chicago. If that bothers you, then stop watching it. It doesn’t concern you if you don’t live in CA or Chicago. It’s like the Dilbert guy who was seeing videos of blacks beating up whites everyday, and is seemingly oblivious to the fact that social media is serving him up exactly what he wants to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You advocated pulling away their choice to govern how they saw fit by saying how great it was that Florida had done exactly that to local cities. So your framing is deceitful and just about making you feel better about yourself.

Sure you would. That is why you stated you were happy that the Florida government pulled away the ability of local areas to govern themselves on police matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So the people that live there would get no say in what the new government looks like, they would just have to leave?
    That’s my point, even within these regions, there won’t be unanimity on what their government would look like. And even among relatively similar groups there are wide divisions - libertarian conservatives vs. religious conservatives for example. So would the libertarians get booted from the south too or have no concessions made in the new govt?
    And as far as VA I live here, Richmond is purple or even blue, as is the tidewater. It’s a majority blue state now. Charlotte is blue as is the research triangle, as is Asheville. So kiss Duke and UNC goodbye. in fact in any of the red states they would lose the majority of their professors and the majority of their college educated populations.. Blue states would lose their farmers and white working class.
    Atlanta is blue, if everyone there leaves the entire new country falls apart. Many whites moving in would have to take a large pay cut to fill the jobs blacks and Hispanics left on their way out. Or the lower rung jobs they disproportionately fill jobs just wouldn’t get done.
    And all that’s before the idea that many many people can’t afford to move. And even if they did, there’s no guarantee there’s work waiting for them when they go. It would be a disaster.
    Or again we could just listen to opposing viewpoints and solve some of our issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. cflgator83

cflgator83 All American

Jun 26, 2022
    At the end of the day, whether you agree with me or MTF or not, it's going to happen.

And yes some blue cities will be stuck in red states. Some red towns will be stuck in blue states. The people who are liberal in red states will have to move or accept their new government. The people who are conservative in blue states will have to move or accept their new government. Every dissolution in the history of the world has left people on the wrong side of a new nation. There have been plenty of split ups in human history and it's not out of the ordinary. It will be hard but it will happen.

I'll say it again, it's time to negotiate a peaceful National Divorce otherwise we will deal with a very bloody and non peaceful National Divorce down the road. Whether any of us like it or not, a split it coming. I'd bet my entire life savings on it. It is inevitable.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Your knowledge of Colorado politics, and the political leanings of other areas, is lacking. The Western Slope is decidedly conservative, to the extreme as the electorate keeps sending Colorado native Lauren Boebert back to Washington. She would not like being told she had to "go back to the West Coast."

Your Walter Mitty like dystopian scenarios for the changes you envision are likely connected to the incel violence you predicted on the other thread. Yeah, though you denied it, I think you previously posted on this forum with a different username.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    1. fantasizing about violence is unhealthy and you should stop. There isn’t going to be a civil war.

2. the media you consume has a powerful influence on you. You should think carefully about what you are consuming and how it is influencing the way you think.

3. your idea of where people belong is frankly childish. I’m liberal but have lived in Florida most of my life. For better or worse it’s my home, and probably will be even after China Ron makes himself emperor lol. I don’t consider Florida not to be my home just because republicans are in control. Life is far more nuanced than that - and I guess you should reflect some more on why that nuance bothers you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Orlandogator, he wanted to hire a hooker because he couldn't get laid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You’re right about Lauren Boebert. She wouldn’t want to move to the west coast but as long as she continues to challenges the liberals of CO, I’m happy she’s been elected.

18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Isn’t this exactly what has happened repeatedly throughout our history? America is dramatically more progressive now than it was 200 years ago. You might not consider yourself any less conservative than a conservative from 200 years ago but you absolutely are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Conservatives fantasizing about carrying out Putin's gameplan.

Rinse, repeat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    That's what they don't seem to realize. They can try and fight it with talks of national divorce, right wing judges and speech bans, but the world will continue to move further to the left whether they like it or not. It's like a game of tug of war where you appear to be winning but ultimately you are going to tire out and are going to lose

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.