Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The evidence is more mixed as to whether cell phones increase teen depression, especially girls

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, May 25, 2024.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    All I'm seeing is a screen shot showing a portion of an article. It seems to indicate very exclusive sampling.

"But in one place where it has been studied systematically, New Jersey, where 90 % of children had health coverage even before the A.C.A. . . ."

Also, the notion that cell phones cause depression is flawed. Cell phones are the catalyst; it's all the crap available on them, as well as the extent of involvement one has with that crap, that causes widespread anxiety, depression, etc. If the reception of a text or SM post, etc. causes release of dopamine in the brain (it does), there might be a problem.

Although not as intense as hit of cocaine, positive social stimuli will similarly result in a release of dopamine, reinforcing whatever behavior preceded it. Cognitive neuroscientists have shown that rewarding social stimuli—laughing faces, positive recognition by our peers, messages from loved ones—activate the same dopaminergic reward pathways. Smartphones have provided us with a virtually unlimited supply of social stimuli, both positive and negative. Every notification, whether it’s a text message, a “like” on Instagram, or a Facebook notification, has the potential to be a positive social stimulus and dopamine influx.

Dopamine, Smartphones & You: A battle for your time - Science in the News

The piece above is several years old, but there are countless others advocating for less screen time. Here's my most recent anecdote: Last night I was listening to an extraordinary piece of music - meaningful in many ways, including having heard it performed live by a world-class ensemble. After listening, I checked a social media platform and it was like my brain went from "ta-da!" to "dur-dur." It was all too obvious which activity was intellectually rewarding and which activity was a brain drain. And with that, I'm going to depart for a time to play some trumpet. :emoji_nerd::emoji_trumpet:

3. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    With smart phones and the internet for which they're used there are many different things which could be studied and written about. Depression caused by the stimuli generated through use of the phone is just one of them. (Addiction is another.) The fact that it may not be an epidemic does not mean depression is not a consequence of cell phone use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Wish that they would spend more time studying the impact of bad parenting on depression of teenagers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am paywalled from the Times so I can only read the headlines. Plus the summary.

But what struck me is the fact that Obamacare directed yearly mental health annual screening for thag population, which is a good thing. Plus there was another diagnostic code.

So it may be that at least a substantial part of the explanation over why we saw such a big jump in teen depression around about the time that cell phones became ubiquitous is just that we were measuring it more intensely and differently.

I'm not discounting other explanations. I wish I could read the full piece because the second tweet says that the arguments on both sides are addressed within the piece.

But I've always thought that the data seemed a little bit too neat. This at least suggests why there was such a large jump all at once. It still may be the cell phone increase depression. And by that I mean the access to social media and the internet being so available. But again, it just seemed like the data was too correlational.

I do think we have to consider that the uptick and recorded instances of teen depression may also be attributed to the fact that we were measuring it more intently and using different diagnostic codes.

6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Kevin Drum with more

• In 2011 HHS issured guidelines recommending that teen girls be screened annually for depression. In 2015 they mandated coding changes that doubled the reported rate of self-harm for teen girls (and everyone else). A study in New Jersey found that these changes explained nearly all of the state’s apparent upward trend in suicide-related hospital visits.
    • The overall suicide rate for teens has gone up at the same rate as the suicide rate for adults. (Although the suicide rate for teen girls has gone up more than the rate for adult women.) This suggests a primary cause other than cell phones.
      [​IMG]
    • Teen depression as measured by the annual SAMHSA survey increased by about 50% between 2005 and 2017. But a similar survey from the CDC pegs the increase at only about 10%.
    • Worldwide data varies considerably from country to country, regardless of cell phone usage. In some countries teen mood disorders are up, in others they're down.
    • Different surveys produce different results. A PISA survey question suggests increasing loneliness among teens, but other surveys show life satisfaction among teens flat or improving.
    • This didn't make it into Wallace-Wells' piece, but I'll add a study I recently wrote about showing that internet access seems to be generally associated with better well-being, not worse.

Cell phones really don’t seem to be causing an epidemic of teen depression - Kevin Drum

7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I'm trying to interpret this quote from the author:

The overall suicide rate for teens has gone up at the same rate as the suicide rate for adults. (Although the suicide rate for teen girls has gone up more than the rate for adult women.) This suggests a primary cause other than cell phones.

They appear to suggest that because adult suicide rates increased overall the same as teens, that cell phones were not the primary issue. How did they reach that conclusion? There appears to be a disconnect. The graph also shows a striking increase in teen suicide rates from 2007 - 2017. Obviously, that statistic would be attributed to a number of factors. The increase, though, is alarming.

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Because the limited subject, supposedly being measured, is teen depression. The question was whether teens are being specially impacted

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So because adults have issues too, social media isn't a prob for teens? I think it's a flawed inference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To speculating, but the thesis was that cell phones caused increased depression among teens do the way social media worked with gossip, mean this etc, accelerating how teens had all these acted towards each others. That's obviously less pronounced with adults, outside of certain wealthy social circles. So if they increase at the same rate, the thought is that the way we thought cell phones increase depression among teen girls may not be accurate. This is all supposition

11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It's not like adults (18 and over?) aren't also addicted to cell phones and, therefore, also susceptible to depression based upon what they read and see. Hell, online reports that Trump leads in the polls depresses me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Exactly. And then there's the issuance of suicide as THE dependent variable, which delimits the study. Problematic should some people view this and claim that cell phone usage is not a distinct concern for teens.