Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

*** The end is near, for Billy Napier at Florida ***

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024 at 8:06 PM.

1. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    No one. That's the entire problem.

2. workemsillyg8rs

workemsillyg8rs Freshman

Saturday
    All the more reason to keep Billy the entire season. Perhaps he even survives the calendar year, if they can get something worked out with Kiffin behind the scenes.

3. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    That is probably the only reason he remains coach, plus let him suffer through the humiliation of getting trounced by ut, uga, ole miss and probably lsu. Let him face the music of having to regurgitate the samo samo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Would it really be that terrible if the majority of the team left? If it means getting the right coach, let them go. A big-name coach will have the roster full before you know it with the transfer portal in play....and probably with better players. Getting the right coach is more important than not losing players at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don’t hate him. In fact, I don’t understand the hate. He is a good man with good values and in over his head. I just believe we need a change. 3 weeks ago I thought completely different

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    100% This. I'm all for absolute chaos because that may be the only way the UAA gets cleaned out.

7. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Hate him the coach, not the man.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Yeah, I don't hate him either. He's just over his head, IMO and needs to be replaced with someone with a proven track record of being able to win at a P5 school. I didn't like the hire to start with, but tried to keep an open mind and support him until it became obvious (to me) last year that he couldn't handle the job. I felt like this year would be a disaster, especially after seeing the brutal schedule. I feel bad for the guy and wish him the best. I certainly had hoped he would prove me wrong and become a great coach. Changing coaches every 3-4 years is not good for any program, but especially the money-making machine at a major university.

9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That's your opinion. It is totally unsubstantiated, but you are entitled to it. The problem is in the coaching- plain and simple. You give Spurrier these same players and his staff, and we are undefeated right now. Napier has been a colossal disappointment not only in the x's and o's but also in being a motivational leader. He is simply not cut out for big-time football. I appreciate his recruiting ability, and perhaps that should be his focal point going forward for whatever program he ends up in. At this point, his options will be very limited.

10. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I posted this on a different thread on the recruiting board, but I think the idea here is the same.

This is 20-25% of most of their college careers and I would think cause for second thoughts about the school if we let a doomed lame duck languish all season because it makes things harder for them to transfer.

Sometimes a show of good faith, like trying a new direction that even if it doesn't work out demonstrates that no season of theirs is meaningless, communicates to players on the fence that the overall program and school consider their interests too and could be trusted to make a better choice in the next coach. I think it may at least give enough pause to have kids wait and see rather than be so worn out and disgusted by a season long death march they can't wait to get away as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    We are afraid to lose who? There are probably only 10 players we want to keep. Anybody on the offensive line? Who on defensive could we not do with out? Maybe if we showed the players that we cared about winning, they might stay.

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  13. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Lagway and Wilson are the only irreplaceable names in my mind.

14. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    That's a pretty good question. If you're the new coach and you can manage to keep any 10 players from the current roster, who are you going with?

1. DJ Lagway
    2. Myles Graham
    3. LJ McCray
    4. Eugene Wilson
    5. Aaron Chiles
    6. Jadan Baugh
    7. Shemar James
    8. Pup Howard maybe?
    9. the best underclassman DB
    10. the best underclassman OL

Something like that, perhaps?