Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

*** The end is near, for Billy Napier at Florida ***

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024 at 8:06 PM.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I was, of course, only paraphrasing, but, this is what I read and that's how I interpreted what he said. Whether he did what he said is another question because we don't know what his original pre-scripted rotation plan was.

From Sunday's post-game presser:

“We ultimately made a commitment to rotate the players a certain progression, a certain way, regardless of the outcome, basically just to keep those guys in a good frame of mind relative to not looking over their shoulder.”

“I think we felt like it was in the best interest of the team to do it that way, and we did it. “That wasn’t the reason that we got beat today,” Napier added. “I think there were a lot of other things that contributed to that.”

From Monday's presser:

Q.
    What did you learn about coaching them for the first time in a game, how the offense responded to them, and then could you see that rotation maybe change going with the guy with the hot hand or if you feel like you need a spark?

BILLY NAPIER: Yeah, I mean, I think that some of it is open-ended. They know that. Ultimately my expectation is they both prepare well, they both practice well, and they both play lights out when given a chance, right?

2. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    I still see nothing about actually keeping a QB in based on their success in the game. I certainly hope that he's realized just how idiotic his approach was on Saturday and will adapt, but nothing in the last 3 seasons points to that happening -- unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    A few of my former coworkers were Army helicopter pilots in Vietnam. Lots of mind-blowing experiences and stories.

One of them was that VC gunners were taught to aim out in front of the helicopter while trying to shoot it down. So, in one hot LZ they were watching enemy tracers whiz by about 50' in front of their aircraft...while they were sitting still on the ground.

A mindless process.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That's the "open-ended" part in response to the hot-hand question. Granted, he said it Monday, not in the original presser. There can and should be a lot of discussion about what caused us to lose Saturday and for the last two years. But, I personally don't think the QB rotation was the problem. To me, it's the play-calling, offensive line play, and defensive scheme. Regardless, it's all on Napier to field a better product. Looks like the ship has sailed.

5. 1975Gator

1975Gator All American

Jan 5, 2012
    I believe the operative word is “open ended” in his second statement vs his first statement.

6. workemsillyg8rs

workemsillyg8rs Freshman

Saturday
    The 12 team playoff really complicates things with Lane Kiffin. If he makes the playoff, is he just going to abandon Ole Miss and a shot at a championship? He would be my 1st choice by a mile but, the logistics here are interesting with the portal and ESD.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 11:29 AM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

8. SmootyGator

SmootyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I forget, was Gruden ever a college coach?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    NOPE... just thought it was interesting. He does NOT have what we're looking for in a head ball coach. But I do like his fiery attitude. We need the next coach to have fire...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Freshman

Oct 15, 2021
    Like I said about 30 pages ago, hire Jon Gruden, with Trent Dilfer as OC and Marquand Manuel as DC and have at it. And keep Katie Turner in place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you upset because it's not quite 10 million or what? I just want to know why your feelings are hurt.

12. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Looking back, it (finally) occurred to me that BN told everyone what kind of coach he is(n't) at the time he was hired when he said, "This is a talent acquisition business."

We all heard what we wanted to hear from that. But now, it's clear that his "process" is to win merely by relying on superior talent alone, without enhancement from coaching/strategy. (See: Sun Tzu, the worst type of generalship.)

That's why his Louisiana teams usually won but weren't dominating. And that's why he can't win in the SEC: there's no way to acquire enough talent advantage to offset lack of coaching.

We should have seen this coming all along.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I hope not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I swear if Billy said the sky was blue someone would find a way to contort that into his process relying on a blue sky and therefore he's terrible.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Yep, burying heads in the sand or blind positivity never fixes anything and access journalism should be called paid promotion. Though to be fair BN has even made access very restricted. If you feel the need to keep people out of practice, it's probably because it doesn't look good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gatorstrackman

gatorstrackman GC Legend

Nov 24, 2021
    Trent Jerk Dilfer LOL!!! Dumbest idea I’ve heard since hiring Billy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2024 at 6:34 PM
  17. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Will Miles/read and reaction and the GNFP are my go too for serious discussion, they will discuss what sucks and whats going well. Hightop is entertaining, but his self admitted pumping is tiresome. IAKOW podcast pretty good too. SEC podcast I picked up recently because they just rip Billy and I laugh. This will get pushback but Peek's clickbait titles with next to no substance videos I avoid at this point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    That is the greatest analogy to this coach I have ever seen and doubt it can be topped, bravo sir.

19. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I agree.

20. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Perfect interim to get his feet wet and a shot of life for the program.