Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

*** The end is near, for Billy Napier at Florida ***

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024 at 8:06 PM.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What people forget about this AD is that after firing Mullen, he made Mullen's worst assistant coach (running backs coach) the interim head coach for our bowl game against UCF a few years ago... I will never forget that horrible move.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    People need to let that go and grow a thicker skin. It was his job when he coached other teams to take shots at his fellow coaches and schools. It was part of the rivalry between them. HBC fired shots and so did Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Jedd Fisch got off to a bad start in Washington losing at home to Washington State yesterday , but I still think he is our number one target.

I think Napier survives the week, goes off to Mississipi State, who lost badly at home to Toledo yesterday. Unless we see a major improvement, he would be let go next Sunday, with the interim coach getting a bye week before returning to Gainesville on October 5 against UCF.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is being reported that there is a BOT meeting tomorrow morning presumably to discuss Napier. I dunno, maybe there was one scheduled anyway.

We all know their track record in making hiring decisions...

I know they don't make the decision, But I would guess they have some input.

I know they don't make the decision to hire our coach but

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder All American

Jun 23, 2023
    No one wants to hear this, but, losing DJ isn't the end of the world. Not having THE guy at HC is. On the field talent is more easily replaced than sideline talent. Losing DJ definitely hurts don't get me wrong, but, he isn't priority number one for the program. He might be priority number two and he better be number one for the next HC. How that goes will be telling from the jump.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Grantham was gone and so was Hevesy.

Our remaining assistants were not exactly better choices than Knox. Regardless it should have been Billy G as it should be now.

Knox did beat F$U so forever grateful for that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

True. He could also agree to take the job at the end of the season and then renege and leave us flapping in the wind. Look what he did to Tennessee.

That guy is not a model for integrity. We should not trust him

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    That meeting is TODAY.

And believe me they are not discussing Napier. Read between the lines. This is about firing Stricklin.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    We need to ditch the win with class mentality. No one cares about class anymore.

Just win.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Well…maybe not before the Ohio barstool incident.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Pretty succinct commentary on our deteriorating values in this country

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Sounds great. Good luck fining anyone with any leverage to take that offer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What lines should I read between? I'm fresh out of hopium.

14. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Don’t disagree but we also don’t need an umbrella statement like this. Look at the contracts top coaches command; fast approaching $1 million per game coached, not won. They’re there to win, period.

Yes it would be nice if you could win with class, no doubt. But winning cannot be sacrificed for the sake of class. Not when you’re paying $1 million per game coached.

15. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Did the BOT meet on a Sunday morning when Zook, Lumpy, Shark boy, or Mullen were fired?

This time it’s different.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2024 at 9:01 AM
  16. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    My roots go deep in Scotland. My wife and I visited there in 2019 and loved it. Going back if possible. I’m pretty far over the shady side of the mountain.
    Tennent’s lager most popular beer in Scotland and thank goodness it’s not available here. It’s too good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Yes but also the university had a non interim president. Something is obviously going down but given the circumstances I don't think they're for sure firing Scot striklind, just that whatever it is the football program will likely be changing it's leadership structure.

Could very well be a new ad search, it would just be odd to do that while looking for a new pres

19. army_gator03

army_gator03 Senior

Oct 5, 2019
    Are you referring to Lane Kiffin’s single season at Tennessee? He was recruiting against Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Mark Richt. Three of the best recruiters in the game at that point in time. I’m sure he was just as much of a smart ass towards UGA and Bama as he was towards UF. The man has a track record of taking two programs at low points and raising them up to be contending teams in their conferences. As the OC at Bama, he literally transformed them from being a run heavy, old school football offense to a passing and scoring juggernaut almost instantly. I don’t think I will hold his smartassery towards us gators against him. It was kind of his job at the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If an AD is not in charge of the football program, what then is his purpose? Football is the cash cow. Everything flows through the football program.

• Agree Agree x 1