Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

*** The end is near, for Billy Napier at Florida ***

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024 at 8:06 PM.

1. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Stricklin wil not be making the choice. This morning’s BOT meeting is to give Stricklin the boot and go about finding a new AD and running the athletic departmenr in the absence of an AD.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    He did so on purpose. He knew this hire was his last if not successful. So he made it financially hard for whoever made the decision to can Billy. We are at the point that money spent firing Billy, SS, the staff, and countless others is less than money lost on donations, ticket sales, and NIL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Junior

Jun 22, 2007
    I really don't want Spurrier to be interim. It would be wonderful if it was successful but I just don't see this team responding.

4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    even though no head coach experience…I’ll pick Billy Gonzalez. I don’t want any Napier loyalist as interim if it can be helped. No Roberts, Armstrong, etc. they may just continue to run things like Billy due to loyalty.

Billy G has been an assistant at UF for many, many years under 3 different staffs, including a successful one under Urban. I’d think he would at least change things up a little on offense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Heupel was a project.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Spurs is old. Just leave him be. He has earned it.

No more “process” guys. We have had enough toads who didn’t work out. I think Billy’s vision of mentoring young players and staff into the proper culture could work at a small school where football just isn’t that important. The landscape changed over night with the portal and NIL changed it again. Getting quality staff might be a bigger issue. Billy didn’t adapt to the changes.

As I said at the time of his hire, process guys scare me because they can’t see the forest for the trees.

Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. swamp life

swamp life All American

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Another thing that scares me is that we’re probably gonna have our recruiting class fall apart and could possibly lose DJ to the portal. In my entire life, I would never have believe the gators would become a bottom dweller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorswrs

gatorswrs Sophomore

Nov 27, 2010
    Maybe Spurrier as interim AD rather than HBC?

• Like Like x 2
  9. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Several of us have been trying to tell everyone. It's not necessarily a fast turnaround for an ocean liner headed one way that suddenly realizes it needs to turn . . . but it's happening a lot more quickly than some imagined it could. The fact that it's happening is cause for some relief.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

If you’re right and that was the reason he checked out on our team, why in hell would you want that guy back? There are other guys out there who can do better than Napier without the baggage

11. gatorbreeder

gatorbreeder All American

Jun 23, 2023
    I get what you're saying, but, since the NIL stuff began UF has had better classes than Ole Miss with a total lame duck coach that no one believes in who followed up a coach that didn't care about recruiting. With the right coach UF goes right back into the top five classes. Ole Miss apparently doesn't have enough money for that or maybe kids just don't want to go there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    They process the crap out of everything and forget all about actually Winning

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I am thinking back to the hiring of Steve Spurrier. The AD Arnsparger wanted to hire Mike Archer. Ben Hill Griffin told Arnsparger to hire Spurrier. Arnsparger said as long as I am ad here spurrier won’t be the hbc. Ben hill Griffin cut him a check. Foley was promoted to AD and the rest is history.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’m talking about years 1-2 and making it sound ok to win 5/6 games. That should never be ok here. And all the talk about how the roster was left. That talk was an excuse. This roster Billy is leaving is worse than what he inherited. If there is disagreement, just look at O line and D line. We get pushed around- can’t run the ball and can’t stop the run. We also cannot rush the passer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep
    DeBoer
    TCU guy
    Kelly
    All came in and won immediately and we could name plenty more. All that process stuff is great but in the end if you don’t win the process stuff is just buying a coach time.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    You're' right in that SS would not be approaching anyone at this time.

17. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Not sure what you mean - I was referring to Spurrier. Didn’t say I wanted him back and he never would come back, but I would love it if he did!
    I agree - just about anyone can do better than BN coaching-wise

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hang in there, ole planted one.

19. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Kiffin seems logical based on energy and bringing back a decent offense, but way back in the cavernous (read empty) recesses of my mind is a lurking thought that his past smartassery against us Gators might still be lurking in his mind. I have a lingering feeling that he could come here with a cavalier attitude and not really care if he tanked us even further only to walk away with his $26+ million buyout to never work another day in his life having pulled off an epic prank.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Oh shit I got my arguments mixed up and was on a Meyer rant. Sorry about that Zep.

I don’t know why you flatly deny that SOS was souring with a spoiled Gator Nation when he was quoted at the time that it was a problem for him. He even expressed frustration with Rex Grossman’s dad interfering too much. Of course the biggest issue was the lack of support he got from Foley in his fight with the lowlife bastards in Tallahassee. Bottom line was the honeymoon was over and he wanted out. Several factors were involved, and one - not the biggest- but one was disappointment in a spoiled fan base.

• Agree Agree x 1