Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**The end is coming, for Billy Napier at Florida**

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Well played willymay

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. gators1994

gators1994 Junior

Sep 10, 2024
    Is Billy too conservative to take advantage of it though?

3. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I think so but I also will give him a bit of “grace” since AR did limit the passing game because of his inaccuracy in 2022 and the OL wasn’t up to par as well last season in pass pro.

Not saying BN is a maestro of an OC as I wish he’d hire one but to me the offense does look drastically more “dynamic” when Lagway is in there as he’s a threat to not only run but has proven to be accurate when he’s throwing 15+ yards down the field or just the threat to go down field and give us a chance

The “downside” to Lagway being great is that it’ll justify BN to continue being the OC (if he somehow makes it to year 4) even though I feel that Lagway talent will outperform and bail out the playcalling if that makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Hurt My soul writing it

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Makes more sense to me if we have 10 other guys on the field that can do their job and execute the play called rather than relying on one athlete to bail the others out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    yes and no. Lagway with those receivers makes us more dangerous than with Mertz. But offense will still be limited / sub optimal using Napiers playbook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    in the hypothetical world we somehow win enough games that Napier gets another year, maybe THIS time as part of him being retained the boosters / stricklin force an OC change. Get rid of Sale and hire an OC. One can dream.

napiers offense will always be non sec championship level no matter the talent as it is a sub optimal offense in this day and age.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I don’t know now. Making the rounds of late, it almost seems like prominent Gator YouTubers are drinking the kool-aid again after back-to-back wins over very bad opponents but it’s the back-to-back wins that have them starry-eyed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Reality will come soon. We've seen it before.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    As soon as we start playing people again. Like this Saturday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know. I can imagine we beat Tennessee. Maybe they aren't great? But I can also imagine we run the opposite of what teams that have slowed or stopped them did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cktownsend27

Cktownsend27 Sophomore

Feb 3, 2016
    He is evolving. He just figured out having a demanding football practice, has good results. Wow! What a concept.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    No doubt Tennessee can pull a Ten r C.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    We beat UCF, against whom we are clearly more talented. On paper Tennessee is not more talented than UF. This is a game that if BN wins, he gets credit for. He would still need to show continued growth, including beating a team we are less talented than and not losing to less talented teams (looking at fsu) to win me over. Possible but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Sadly, I think BN is only now realizing the cut throat urgency of college football at the highest level, and I still doubt if he has the flexible intelligence to succeed at this level.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree it seemed like he thought he had time to lollygag and get there eventually. At this point, I fault Stricklin, unless it becomes known he pleaded with Billy to move things along, but I don't think that happened. To the highlighted, no kidding. I often wonder if his staff presents alternative strategies and he pays lip service, then moves on in the conversation, determined regardless of results, that his way is going to work.

“Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
    The same applies when you are stupid.”

― Ricky Gervais

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Urgency happened in real time against South Carolina last year (including miracle plays) and the offense was a strength the rest of the year. Defense couldn't stop a nosebleed sadly and didn't win another game.

Offense reverted back to uninspiring football again this year to start. Why?

Napier has demonstrated at least a half season of offensive competency, that's about as much as I can hand it to him.

Honestly with that type of urgency the rest of the year I see Florida picking off a few wins to close out the year, but Napier has demonstrated more negativity than hope so I am not certain

• Like Like x 1
  17. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Nope. But I really like the sound of that. LOL! :)

18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Not that I blame Napier for this, but here’s words from Janoris Jenkins

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2024 at 4:08 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    well, in Jenkins case, he was booted from the school/dismissed from UF and went on to play elsewhere. Jenkins was a baller at UF and I am not a fan of Napier but…imo, he isn’t the type of ex player I’d be as concerned about not getting free tickets.

From espn “Florida senior cornerback Janoris Jenkins has been dismissed from the football team, days after his second drug-related arrest in three months. Jenkins also was arrested in June 2009 on misdemeanor charges after being involved in a fight and fleeing police.“. Not a real big deal charge wise, but he didn’t complete his college career at UF.

I am more apt to welcome back players who got arrested but not enough times to get dismissed from the team. lol

And frankly, I’d imagine that Napier has a team of like 20 staffers in his army that would handle these requests - Napier should be spending his time on improving his simple offensive game plans. Napier likely has no idea about Jenkins issue.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. I imagine Jenkins talks with ex players and speaks for more than his himself.