Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**The end is coming, for Billy Napier at Florida**

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024.

1. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Illinois good
    Vandy good
    Carolina Good
    UF welp

crazy world

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s the playcalling, knowing when to do what you do

3. ofmgator12

ofmgator12 Senior

Jul 23, 2022
    Not so fast my friend

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hehe, seat went from "sun surface" to "cosmic microwave background" in one Saturday night, with the opportunity to reach room temperature in a couple of weeks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Precisely. We tried that exact thing in 2014 with Muschamp. Brought in the “hot hand” from Duke if memory serves. The problem was, everyone (with the glaring exception of Foley) knew Muschamp was a dead man walking after 2013. Bringing in a new OC for a lost season only hurt that guy’s career. No one of value is going to take the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    The “opportunity,” sure. How do you feel about the probability?

7. pogba

pogba Junior

Nov 28, 2013
    I will say there are some signs here pointing to a chance for Billy. That team really does look like a team. Seeing how they all reacted to Cormani's touchdown was something kinda special. Lagway and Baugh are both stars. He's got a chance. I would think to prove he should get another year, he has to win one of the big ones that no one expects him to win AND Ole Miss and FSU.

8. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Probability, possibility, opportunity, what does it matter?

The way I see it, our won loss/record the remainder of the season will be the determining factor, and all the yapping about such things in the meantime is a complete waste of time, except for those who have committed to a fire Billy at all costs agenda.

And even then it is a waste of time, because the people who will make the decision could care less what the yappers think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gator-In-Tenn

Gator-In-Tenn Freshman

Sep 10, 2017
    I ask this question with all sincerity: Can DJ and Baugh perform so well the remainder of the year that they save Billy's job? While I pray they do, I hope that it does not.

10. workemsillyg8rs

workemsillyg8rs All American

Sep 14, 2024
    Yes, beat the Clowns at Ron Zook Field and upset 1 of the other teams, while being competitive in losses, and I think that Billy gets another year. The team needs to continue to improve though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its simple. Just imagine Steve Spurrier as HC with those stacked, well-compensated rosters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    In other words, you hope the players do well, but that we lose.

Because if they do well and we win, Billy won't be fired.

Did I get that right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So "pray" and "hope" are in conflict?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Some posters are really zeroed in on the firing. They don't care about the hiring. Nor the buyout. And certainly don't care about the players who finish out the season.

Firing will feel good. But firing, without a better option in place, is just a $26M change of nameplate. Get the hiring right first.

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  15. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Is there a majority that thinks Napier is the long term answer?
    I don't.
    At best (and we aren't there yet) he is a Stoops or Drinkwitz level coach.

16. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    We're going to lose the next 4 games, just like we lost 5 straight last year. The sad part is, this team appears to be a little better than last year's (with Lagway getting all snaps), but due to the brutality of the schedule, we're about to be 4-7. Don't underestimate the effects of playing those types of powerhouses back-to-back-to-back-to-back weeks. There will be injuries, players will get tired. Outside of Ole Miss, all of those teams have tremendous depth to rotate fresh bodies in whenever needed. Ole Miss has a bye week before our game. I don't think Spurrier or Meyer ever had to face a gauntlet like this.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Stoops and Drink have never coached an elite roster and neither has Napier. While I don’t believe he is that guy, maybe he will surprise us. He is coaching for his job and he may beat a top ten team shortly.

18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m glad our players don’t have your attitude because if they did, they wouldn’t stand a chance. We may knock one of these guys off. LSU isn’t all that and neither is ol miss. Geor and Texas are probably a little much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    If Kiffin will not come, I would take a hard look at Jeff Brohm before Louisville extends him. We wouldn't have to break the bank in a bidding war with Louisville and Brohm has a lot of experience playing against tough Big 10 and ACC opponents. A guy like that would do wonders with access to Florida's NIL and recruiting reach and could be had cheaper than Lane. I'd still prefer Lane, but Brohm is a sleeper and Louisville will extend him after this season to a bigger contract, guarantee it. The loss to Miami was tough, but they went toe to toe scoring 45 points against UM. His QB has a TD-int ratio of 18:3. His boys play smart football.

20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Well, when that happens, I'll change my tune, but to date, Napier's Gators haven't beaten an opponent of that caliber. It would be FANTASTIC if we did and I would rather the players see me doubt them than blow smoke. Maybe they'll prove a guy like me wrong, but most likely they care not about anything I have to say.