Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

**The end is coming, for Billy Napier at Florida**

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Sep 14, 2024.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course there was an understanding that there was a rebuild necessary and that was his intention....that's pretty much common knowledge. And equally "of course" is that the 5 year process that the other poster referenced is absurd and would not be acceptable. Nobody gets 5 years, and BN knows that. Heck, nobody gets 4 years at a school like UF.
    Napier's demeanor is what it is, he's certainly not going to discuss his job status nor should he. He certainly realizes he is on the edge, but I personally prefer him keeping his head down and trying to get it fixed rather than freaking out and having the wheels come off. We all know it's unlikely he gets thru the remaining gauntlet to retain his job, but it's much better for everyone if he keeps the noise away from himself and the team.
    Ultimately my point is that the other poster stated that "the UAA fell for some obscure 5 year process". You just stated you don't even believe he was given 4 years, so how can you agree that the UAA accepted 5 years?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 3:22 PM
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Yes. No inside information or anything, but I have asserted since the preseason that Kentucky is one of four games that Napier must win this year without excuse to avoid an on-the-spot termination, and he’s already won the other three. I don’t want it, but I can see a plausible scenario where Napier gets a fourth season with five wins. I see no such scenario if he goes 0-3 vs. Kentucky with two of those games at home.

3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    There’s another element to this “five-year rebuild” that people want to gloss over. Yes, I think there was an understanding that Napier needed at least five years to fully effect his rebuild. But the implicit part of that understanding was five years to compete with Georgia and compete for SEC Championships, not five years to figure out how to beat Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, etc. and possibly achieve a winning season. Year 3 was supposed to put us in that nine-to-ten-win range, consistently hauling top-10 classes, not struggling to see where a fifth win might come from. God bless him, I’m just not sure he built anything in the last three years, and I see no potential for getting to a place in Year 5 that we should have been in Year 3 (and aren’t.).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2024 at 4:46 PM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. foot

foot All American

Mar 24, 2008
    If you have never spent any time in places like Alabama or Louisiana, then you most likely won't get it. Football is not a sport it is a religion in those areas, and 99% of the people are home grown, super loyal and control all aspects of the government and communities. The NCAA will never tell them what they can or can not do.

Winning is way more important than the rules and no one is going to give any incriminating evidence against the football program. If someone did, they literally would need to move ASAP as it would not be safe for them any more.

The NCAA knows how futile it is to investigate them and I think they gave up even trying. Imagine if you were an NCAA investigator, Alabama would be the last place you would want to snoop around looking for infractions to hurt the football program. I'm sure the locals would not be very friendly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    An NCAA team investigating would be wearing NCAA INFRACTIONS INVESTIGATION TEAM, and a University would divulge who and where the NCAA INVESTIGATORS would be having lunch and spending their nights. I can see it.