Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The dire consequences of COVID school closings

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, Nov 18, 2023.

1. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Age-old causes before March 2020, age-old causes after.

2. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The Spanish Flu wasn’t a virus either …

The Infectious Myth Busted Part 1: The Rosenau Spanish Flu Experiments (1918)

3. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I will never understand why Biden missed the opportunity to “defeat Covid” by instructing the CDC to pull back on testing, wherein the test was the only thing that sustained the perception of a pandemic.

Had testing been suspended, as it was in 2009, Biden wouldn’t have to acknowledge that he’s presided over nearly 900,000 ‘Covid deaths.’

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    While we don’t agree on a lot I’m glad you are on the side of reality on this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m not trying to be partisan, but the data is incontrovertible that Republican states on average had far worse in death rates compared to Democratic states, presumably due to vaccine rates as well as other preventative measures.

While after the fact I agree that the schools that opened earlier lead to better outcomes for kids, but I don’t think you can conclude that we did too much. So perhaps we don’t do shutdowns masking and distancing, and don’t mandate vaccines, and have 2-3 million dead vs 1 million and more freedom and marginally higher GDP. Is that better?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    ^ Lie after lie after lie. There is no virus such as to have killed more Republicans than Democrats.

Not one soul died for not having been vaccinated.

7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    That fool fauci was a propagandist. While you are correct he understood infectious disease. He bolted from medicine when it came to Covid and peddled pure nonsense. He is truly one of the worst people to ever walk this earth because he knew what he said was wrong and propaganda. He is the definition of evil (not saying it is why but one of the only things that makes sense is that he was paid to cover up how Covid ended up getting out).

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are why this is political. You want to look at politics and not the actual cause. How much do you want to bet the “pub” states you say did worse have much higher risk groups than the “dem” states?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The pandemic is in the rear view culturally and politically, but not medically. I have a theory based on a very limited data set (n=2). If you read up on the Spanish Flu of 1918, people arguably took it more seriously initially because it took a lot of young lives, not just the untermensch. But the public quickly tired of public health measures, certainly by 1920, though it still continued to kill in large numbers until 1922. Even public health agencies still list it as 1918-1920

Updating the accounts: global mortality of the 1918-1920 "Spanish" influenza pandemic
    Updating the accounts: global mortality of the 1918-1920 "Spanish" influenza pandemic - PubMed.

But it kept killing in outbreaks. From Wiki:

Post-pandemic
    By mid-1920, the pandemic was largely considered to be "over" by the public as well as governments.[167] Though parts of Chile experienced a third, milder wave between November 1920 and March 1921,[133] the flu seemed to be mostly absent through the winter of 1920–1921.[115]: 167  In the United States, for example, deaths from pneumonia and influenza were "very much lower than for many years".[115]: 167 

Influenza began to be reported again from many places in 1921.[115]: 168  The pandemic continued to be felt in Chile, where a fourth wave affected seven of its 24 provinces between June and December 1921.[133] The winter of 1921–1922 was the first major reappearance of influenza in the Northern Hemisphere, in many parts its most significant occurrence since the main pandemic in late 1918. Northwestern Europe was particularly affected. All-cause mortality in the Netherlands approximately doubled in January 1922 alone.[115]: 168  In Helsinki, a major epidemic (the fifth since 1918) prevailed between November and December 1921.[168] The flu was also widespread in the United States, its prevalence in California reportedly greater in early March 1922 than at any point since 1920.[115]: 172 

People just get weary, at least based on 2 examples. Even during the initial outbreak, there was pressure not to disrupt life, as shown tragically in the Philadelphia Parade to boost morale during of WWI

In the summer of 1918, as the Great War raged and American doughboys fell on Europe’s killing fields, the City of Brotherly Love organized a grand spectacle. To bolster morale and support the war effort, a procession for the ages brought together marching bands, Boy Scouts, women’s auxiliaries, and uniformed troops to promote Liberty Loans –government bonds issued to pay for the war. The day would be capped off with a concert led by the “March King” himself –John Philip Sousa. When the Fourth Liberty Loan Drive parade stepped off on September 28, some 200,000 people jammed Broad Street, cheering wildly as the line of marchers stretched for two miles.

For Philadelphia, the fallout was swift and deadly. Two days after the parade, the city’s public health director Wilmer Krusen, issued a grim pronouncement: “The epidemic is now present in the civilian population and is assuming the type found in naval stations and cantonments [army camps].”

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500. With many of the city’s health professionals pressed into military service, Philadelphia was unprepared for this deluge of death.

And there were skeptics trying to undermine public health authorities, just like a century later

Krusen’s decision to let the parade go on was based on two fears. He believed that a quarantine might cause a general panic. In fact, when city officials did close down public gatherings, the skeptical Philadelphia Inquirer chided the decision. “Talk of cheerful things instead of disease,” urged the Inquirer on October 5. “The authorities seem to be going daft. What are they trying to do, scare everybody to death?”

And, like many local officials, Krusen was under extreme pressure to meet bond quotas, which were considered a gauge of patriotism. Caught between the demands of federal officials and the public welfare, he picked wrong.

Philadelphia Threw a WWI Parade That Gave Thousands of Onlookers the Flu | History| Smithsonian Magazine

Covid is not over. And I have not even seen discussion of the long term effects on society of long Covid, which will cause suffering a significant economic impact. It may be human nature and it may be political consensus to term Covid in the past, but it is unwise

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I love how some people are just now realizing this was a huge issue. Some people were talking about this being a huge issue in July of 2020. We had the European data saying kids weren't vectors for spread and that schools weren't causing an increase in covid cases. The rest is some posters trying to justify their 100% wrong opinion back then with "at the time..." BS. I would have more respect for those posters if they just admitted they were wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    It now is truly a pandemic of the non-mask wearers. I read that many times on this board by many that post here regularly. Another fav was why do you have to be so selfish. I'm sure those posts are still on the longest thread ever about covid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I’m focusing mainly on crimes against humanity, with all the attendant lies, and historical mass-derangement.

14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    It’s sad and pathetic the way too many so readily ascribe legitimacy to so-called experts. And even now they defend their naivite.

Looking back to March 2020 no-one in any position of political or scientific responsibility knew what the hell they were doing, and nor did they thereafter.

It’s been a litany of changing narratives, contradictions and denials from day one.

15. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    But it saved hundreds of 80 year olds

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That’s about 200,000 people, in just one year. More than all murders, all car accidents, all drug overdoses combined.

Plus that number of deaths was with lockdowns. What would have happened if we didn’t lock down? Do you not remember what happened in NYC when it first hit?

Also, is the argument that those over 70 are expendable?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    This is why I contend that, as long as belief in cough and kill Grandma persists, powers that be will always be able to justify suspending basic human freedoms.

“Yeah but 0.07% is still 200,000.”

I sprayed my lawn with unicorn repellent and there is still some damage. But can you imagine how bad the damage would have been had I not sprayed ?

18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Lockdowns? Seriously? Thought only the fringe loonies still believed that garbage.

19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Lockdowns, all that they entailed, killed many, MANY more than 200,000 since 2020.