Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Dark is Getting Darker

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Jul 26, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet in this 8 page Christian wine-fest (pun intended), but the official Olympics account called the scene an “interpretation of the Greek God [of wine and festivity] Dionysus," ...

Looks like the dark is getting lighter ...

"The Olympics' official X account referred to the scene as an “interpretation of the Greek God [of wine and festivity] Dionysus," selected to make spectators "aware of the absurdity of violence between human beings."

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks right to me ... I don't recall there being a naked guy on a fruit platter in the last supper painting ... was there?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Besides, even if it's true, the Last Supper painting was a bunch of dudes in dresses, so I really don't see how they were mocking it ... they were keeping it real.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

He defended it by using terms about inclusiveness and trying to show off france, but never once denied it being The Last Supper.

I saw it in a couple of places.

5. tilly

6. tilly

The people claiming they arent bothered by this are mostly the equivalent of white people being bothered by BLM.

In other words it probably doesnt bother you because you lack the perspective of those it bothers.

But alas, it religious faith which doesnt count to some on this board.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tilly

Those are two separate messages being conveyed. The foreground and background are not the same story

8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    You see the recurring theme here around this issue? It's always "you're making something out of nothing" or "that didn't really happen" or "why are you so worried about drag queens reading to your kids at school" or "let the organizations deal with it". They will never actually acknowledge the issue, because then they'd have nothing but egg on their face. And for 90% of them, it's party over country. You can tell they don't actually think this is okay by their defensive posture and the mental gymnastics they put themselves through to formulate a counterargument.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. tilly

Lol. This from a poster who gets his kicks ripping and mocking those of faith.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. tilly

Wait. What? Lol. Why are you addressing me with this?

11. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    It seemed more of a nonapology than a legit apology. A “sorry you were offended kind of thing” Nowhere that I’ve seen is there a definitive “Yes, this was the Last Supper” because it doesn’t really make sense in context. I don’t recall Dionysus being at the Last Supper.

There is a painting housed in a museum in Dijon, France called The Feast of the Gods which is a depiction of a bacchanalia. That connection makes more sense.

Regardless, I watched the opening ceremonies in real time in the afternoon and The Last Supper didn’t even enter my mind. Again, I was more intrigued by the woman doing a catwalk in pointe shoes. THAT was impressive :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    What does that have to do with what I posted… this thread is just another example of why people of faith get mocked … hatred and false accusations against some LGBT for celebrating the Greek god of wine….

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WarDamnGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Man, you are trying very hard to be offended, huh? Quick question, if it’s supposed to show Jesus and his 12 apostles, why are there about 30 drag queens there?

• Winner Winner x 4
  14. tilly

Not by the majority.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Honestly, that would make more sense. The Last Supper is in Italy. I mentioned early on that the connection to da Vinci seemed a bit weak. It would make sense that it would be artwork from France, since the other artwork utilized in the Opening Ceremonies were all from France. Also, it actually has the glowing halo on the central figure (who is Apollo), unlike The Last Supper.

Here is the artwork that you are referencing:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  16. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A perfect example of gaslighting.

17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Which would be strange. They were using singular images for all of the other living artwork. That would also suggest that it was actually the painting from France, which does have Dionysus in the foreground.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Your contention / premise reminds me of another speculative premise making the rounds in the early years of Biden's term. After Biden's election and January 6 Trump never disappeared from the scene. He was mentioned in the media frequently enough to keep him under speculative discussion. His die hard Too Hot MAGA core mocked those who tracked him and speculated on his intentions. They were told they had TDS, Trump was finished living rent free in their heads. Assuring them or perhaps trying to convince themselves Trump was finished, no longer a viable candidate. We see how well that panned out.

19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Well Im in IT and even I was fooled by a simple google search about the painting. Most people will just take a report at face value but even those who just google real quick can find multiple depictions of the painting (or at least google will show you the results of other paintings when you search that name) and the first one that popped up for me was a bunch of people eating in a field. It didn't look like what was in the opening ceremony.

This looks much more like it, and I agree more than The Last Supper.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. tilly

Making Jesus a drag queen is mocking Christians. No chance they didnt know that would offend people.

Probably a poor business decision too.
    THAT is why you are seeing all the back tracking.

• Agree Agree x 2