Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Dark is Getting Darker

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Jul 26, 2024.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry, dropped my /s

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  2. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Granted, Biden hasn't done the best job of communicating about the economy however, try to find a positive story from Fox during the Biden years about the economy. It's like an arm of the RNC.

3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Lol. Yet it doesnt explain the fact that the other scene is separate and it isnt mm"Tilly's" theory. It still being called a last supper theme by many news outlets, while being ripped globally, and even called out in this thread by liberals.

But sure. Tilly.

Look we get it. You have an issue with religious belief. Its a weird obsession. You would call it out if any of us talked about any other group in the way you sometimes do here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tilly

Lol. What a ridiculous statement. "Read a bit more?"

Of course he is denying it now. He didnt right after though. Even spouting on about freedom from belief being part of the message.

Did YOU read THAT?

Stop being condescending. If a conservative came back after making a gay remark and said he didnt mean it to be derogatory after the fact and after the blow up, you wouldnt believe him for a second and probably should not.

But this french guy. He is trustworthy and couldnt possibly have any motive for backtracking?

Its called damage control.

The IOC was in a panic.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. tilly

Look. The 4pm tweet is certainly a thing. So i will grant that.

But even if it is just the hat. That alone seems to be some sort of shot. Do we agree?

Think of the fact that athletes have been called bigots and hateful on this board for just not wanting to wear a pride jersey. For simply not emphasising anything.

Now the same people want to sweep away and act where someone actually did do at least something

Its hypocrisy. You must participate in one agenda, but can not point out what seems to be a least a passing shot at Christianity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    There wasn't any backtracking, they announced it live as what it was, Dionysius and a party.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    No. Not if we are trying to tie this display into Da Vinci's Last Supper. Because Da Vinci didn't put a halo on Christ in his painting.

I do believe that if people are primed to see Da Vinci's Last Supper, they can find it, but that is because humans are really good at finding patterns where none exist.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    With all due respect, you will never win by hitching your wagon to these types of people. They will embarrass you at every turn. If you fall into the trap of pretending the things they do are not what they do, you’re fashioning lying as a form a communication and you’re also insulting everyone’s intelligence in the process. You will end up looking as unattractive and unintelligent as the central figure in that display.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    As far as I can tell, the main people getting mad are people who hate culture, art and civilization in general, why hitch your wagon to them? The anti-gay stuff is weird too, especially given who painted The Last Supper. Why is it the people who always talk about "Western Values" hate the thing they say they want to protect?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Oh, please. You STILL haven’t come to grips/explained the presence of Dionysus/Bacchus in the segment.

Nobody was in a panic. “We’re sorry you were offended” (because you don’t understand Greek mythology or renaissance art) is the proverbial pat on the head and go sit down.

Instead of admitting that you misinterpreted what was going on, you double down. Shocking :rolleyes:

Do wallow in your victimhood.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Its particularly funny since the Christian response to concerns over posting the 10 commandments in schools was " if you don't like it, look the other way".

• Like Like x 3
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Jesus should be able to survive parody... i mean he rose from the dead so what is a little parody? I swear many Christians have very thin skin. Jesus was a good comedian... he had some good zingers at times.

13. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good luck convincing the worlds largest collection of victims they are not victims. They wont take anyone's word that a simple pose in a fashion show wasnt meant to be a personal attack to the definitely not fragile faith.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Although the painting The Feast of The Gods hangs in a Dijon museum, it is not a French painting. It was painted by the Dutch painter Jan van Bijlert (Utrecht 1597/98-1671) in about 1635.

van Bijlert took his inspiration directly from da Vinci‘s The Last Supper, and the painting caused controversy at the time it was painted.

Since van Bijlert intentionally made his painting resemble da Vinci‘s painting, it’s not surprising at all that most people looking at the opening ceremony depiction would initially see the resemblance to the more famous da Vinci painting.

The lady DJ in the middle of the scene did post on Instagram, since deleted, “Oh yes, oh yes, the gay New Testament,” but it’s unclear whether she was affirming their intention or merely being sarcastic afterwards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. tilly

I am asking if outside of the last supper, what reason is there for a hat that clearly seems aimed at Catholics? I am far from catholic and have many issues doctrinally with them, but that is clearly a nod toward a Christian religion.

I am asking if even a simple nod like that should be tolerated in a world where a hockey player gets called a hateful bigot for declining to use pride tape on his stick.

I am noting the 4pm tweet that @WarDamnGator has posted. I can still question the intent. (People do preemptive damage control too). But I am willing to hear that perspective while still asking what purpose did the clear reference to a christian denomination serve other than to piss people off?

The creator literally mentioned freedom from faith in his initial comments.

Jolly's comment didnt sound much like a denial right after the controversy started: It seems to imply at least some religious inference:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    I found this woman’s take on the incident very interesting. She looks beyond the stereotypes of both sides to get to a deeper meaning.
    The table where you sit

17. tilly

1. I laugh at this, only because I am professional artist who is likely as aware of art far beyond what you can even begin to think I am.

2. It appears as two different scenes. The foreground is clearly a reference to Dionysus/Bacchus. Which in Greek and Roman art (not really French in culture as much) is often depicted alone. Just as the scene in the foreground.

So maybe that was their intent. But they displayed it in a weird way that one does not often see it in traditional viewings.

And again. Explain the bishops headwear?
    Coincidence?

• Like Like x 1
  18. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    We are also wired to see resemblances. Considering that the artist of The Feast of the Gods intentionally mimicked The Last Supper (see my previous post 274), it’s not unreasonable that we would see that resemblance in the Olympics presentation.

19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It is literally a French painting. It is owned by the French government. I've never heard people claim that the Mona Lisa wasn't French because the painter was from Italy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It isn't bishop's "headware," which is called a mitre, BTW. It is the recreation of a halo, as in the painting.

• Agree Agree x 1