Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The cruelty and mental illness of obsessive transphobia

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Apr 7, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Says you. But many fair minded people agree with CP.

Your side making it out to be such a catastrophic opinion is no better than those who want to bring it up every five minutes.

Dawn was likely ust being PC and trying not to stir controversy before their big moment and deep down, she doesnt want it to happen. (Just my guess).

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    He stepped into a flamebait dialogue initiated by a writer all too eager to make waves. Chandler probably should have examined the context before chiming in. If you read some of the "feedback" Chandler received, it was quite ugly. I mentioned it before, but we know of exactly ZERO male-to-female transgendered athletes in DI women's basketball. In fact, the only trans women's basketball player I could read about was a female identifying as male who had not undergone any treatment while competing. If you truly believe this is where we are evolving, I'd like to see some support for your contention. So far, we've got gaslighting from RW journalists. What else?

• Like Like x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Can you define what you believe to be the dividing line between the "sides" you are referring to? Personally, I don't believe this is a simple dichotomous issue. For example, if I (hypothetically) claimed "acceptance/non-acceptance of trans people" was a dividing line, some would point that out to be erroneous.

4. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Makes perfect sense. If Coach Staley is known for anything, it's her fear of saying anything controversial. When she does, it's only being PC. She secretly thinks that South Carolina's racial history is ideal, but she is afraid to say so and is just PC

• Like Like x 3
  5. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Bill Maher was ranting about trans issues again last show, bringing up the Canadian teacher from last year who seemed to be trolling with the giant prosthetic breasts. I'm not sure if it's just easy material to get laughs and prove his independence or if he really believes it merits the amount of time he gives it.

6. tilly

That's fair.i am more taking aim at the hyperbolic language lobbed at people who have a differing opinion on either side. Most people do not engage in this, so lumping them into a "side" isn't fair on my part.

7. tilly

Not my point at all. I am just saying she isnt likely to want to stir up a hornets nest before a National championship. Meanwhile deep down my guess is she woul not like it if CP's hypothetical were true.

It can be both. She can A)Support the rights of transgendered people while B)still finding it fundamentally unfair for them to compete with biological women. I feel saying so would set off a firestorm that she had no interest in setting off.

That said, its a dumb topic at that point. The topic should have been her amazing team and her being asked anything about it is silly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tilly

Again I agree. A lot of opportunistic gaslighting takes place. I also feel we are evolving to that point. Both can be true. My evidence? The fact this is even a topic. We have evolved to this. It isnt a leap to the logical next step followed by the one after.

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The topic's existence is not evidence that there's a trans issue in women's basketball. It's evidence of gaslighting (which you have acknowledged) and people's willingness to indulge it.

10. tilly

No the topic is one we have evolved too.
    Our parents werent having this conversation because there was no such topic. We have had a D1 swimmer already. To think other sports will somehow be immune is short sighted.

We have slowly gotten here, and this is a very small topic...but we are here.

11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wouldn't even say "there's a trans issue in women's basketball." There's a fundamental disconnect between how some people perceive gender/sex and how other people perceive it. The cat is out of the bag, and we are beyond simply ignoring it as a topic. The applicability of this topic in various areas of people's lives will be perceived to be more or less relevant depending on one's position and one's likelihood to come across this topic in a real setting. When somebody seeks to change a long standing view on what constitutes "gender," it stands to reason that others may not agree with the change and/or its significance. Resistance to such a change doesn't make one a bigot. And just because one person is not likely to encounter the significance of this debate doesn't mean another person is just as unlikely to encounter it (including in the scope of basketball). So it makes sense that this issue is, if not anything else, more intriguing to some people than to others.

All that said, I agree with the folks who say that this wasn't the time/place for such a question to be asked of the Carolina coach. And of course, this will be a tool used by folks for political leverage in addition to those who may genuinely be interested in resolving any issues that arise in this aspect of life (be it basketball related or not).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    20 states propose legislation to prevent a threat that doesn't exist. Yea, we "ignore" this in much the same way Rays pitching has dominated Mike Trout this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    An article I read on the subject a few years ago comes to mind. A commentator obviously being facetious made the comment that there were bills in state legislatures prohibiting the participation of transgender teens in high school sports than there was transgender persons who actually participated noting that while one such bill was being considered in Utah there were over 60,000 high school students participating in sports of which fewer than 20 identified as transgender.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Either would I.
    What do you believe that fundamental diff is? I don't view the disconnect as fundamental, because there are multitudes of perspectives on gender issues & gender issues in sports. Some are pro, some are con, some are indifferent, some are unaware and reserve judgement, etc.
    and yet . . .
    fwiw i agree with this latter quote, just not sure what you mean by "the cat is out of the bag."
    Agree and to be clear, I didn't accuse anybody of bigotry here.
    The people/person who made this an issue were compelled by a desire for attention.

15. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    The fundamental difference is that some people see gender as biologically identifiable; others see gender as something that is faith-based.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm saying it's generally a "here and now" topic; even if that wasn't the appropriate place to ask about it. We need to stop shouting down those who don't agree with the bull rush to replace sex with gender identity by calling such resistance "cruelty" and a "mental illness" or by suggesting such people are "transphobic" just because they don't agree with which sport classification these individuals should participate in.

Agreed, but there are others on this board that do this on this topic.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  17. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The conversation shouldn’t be about gender but rather fairness. There’s a reason we have always separated gender, age and in some sports like boxing, size. Because given similar ability and skills, a 15 yo has an overwhelming advantage over a 12 year old. And a biological man has an overwhelming advantage over a biological woman. It’s not that complicated, it’s in fact pretty obvious. What the NCAA allowed to happen to those girls in swimming was completely unfair. It should not happen again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Its pretty complicated when it comes to women's sports actually. Not all women have the same testosterone levels for example (some have higher than men!), and all major top level competition regulates hormone levels now rather than simply basing it off what equipment you were born with. Like you could make an argument on someone who transitioned after puberty having some kind of advantage in certain competitions based on their body size or something (which wouldnt even be universally true or relevant to a particular sport), but for someone who started hormones before puberty, that's a pretty meaningless argument.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. avgator2000

avgator2000 Senior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    My philosophy on things like this is “Live and let let live” the end

20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks. I disagree that these are fundamental differences of opinion in a similar way that I disagreed with Tilly's suggestion about "sides." I googled "gender" and the first thing that came up:

the male sex or the female sex, especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones, or one of a range of other identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.

In your fundamental difference, the first set of people's views appear to be immediately debunked. The others you suggest see gender as faith-based. What do you mean by faith in this context? I don't feel that I fit in with either category, so again, I disagree that these differences are fundamental.