Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The battle for new college

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Jan 12, 2023.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    People don't change in college because of "indoctrination." They change in college because they mature, tend to associate with a more diverse group of people, and become better educated. People like yourself blame "indoctrination" because you don't want to believe that your belief system is unpopular with the highly educated on the merits.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The term "gender neutral restrooms" usually refers to individual restrooms which may be used by either men or women. As far as communal showers are concerned and I would add the caveat that this speculation on my part my guess is that the showers and the restrooms in the dorm most likely had a common entrance with the actual facilities separated by gender. Although I would have loved it when I was a student I cannot imagine dorm showers in which male and female students showered together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    they were individual rooms in a larger facility was my understanding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    And that’s different from what other departments also attempting to compete for funding and students do? To me it seems like you just find their fields illegitimate. Cool, because I find economics and business schools illegitimate ‘indoctrination centers’ but I’m not looking to close them or fretting about what they do. I took business classes and I didn’t become a capitalist because indoctrination isn’t a thing really, at least a thing that works on the unwilling.

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Why not a combination of things?

6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I recall my dope smoking, atheist, best friend was gay, REAL conservative father telling me that if I came back from UF with the same political beliefs that I went there with, then he'd wasted his money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    im not sure what he’s trying to say but there’s no biology major in clas forced to take gender studies. Nor any microbiology students forced to take African American history.

8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    From the article from slayer:

"For the record, Law said the honors program dorm bathrooms are to be gender-neutral, with individual stalls with sinks, toilets and showers.)"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The people who take these classes generally get involved with DEI initiatives, university organizations that are identified based on some marginalized/cultural/racial/ethnic group. These groups receive a push from the university, they get coddled more, they end up becoming some of the most influential groups on campus making the individual people around those groups influential on campus. Those students influence others and it happens.

The university is comprised mostly of like-minded individuals, and those who aren't stay silent because they need to. Those like-minded individuals who are advocates for equity-based causes teaching in equity-based departments plant the seeds. Once the seeds are planted in the people who want to believe, and those students happen to be some of the most influential on campus, the ideology spreads like wildfire. And that's without even considering that the seeds are truly planted earlier before kids even go to college, or social media.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I went from living in the ultra-white suburbs surrounded by country club Republican types to hanging out with a group of people who were overwhelmingly people of color (particularly Black). My perspective changed because I saw a very different world than the one I grew up in. I imagine that's true for many people when they go to college.

The only openly political professor I had was very conservative. I actually loved his class and quite liked him as a person. I thought it was funny when he'd rant about Jimmy Carter or the Democrats. (The man really hated Jimmy Carter.) I guess my mind was just too impenetrable for his "indoctrination."

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm sure you genuinely believe that he was the only openly political professor you had, even though that may not be the case.

It's like the great George Costanza once said:

[​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't recall much in the way of overtly political profs. I did take a lot of English courses & there was 1 prof who was horrifically sexist & another who was just a checked out, smoked in class, POS.

I have 2 kids in college. They are black belt level 7 in critical thinking. I've no worries about them being indoctrinated by anything. I take little credit. My wife can chop down a tree with the back of her hand intellectually.

IMO, if you are scared to let your kids go out into the world, that's on YOU & that reflects your failure!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I call bs on the first part especially. The most influential students are all white and not dei people. Grad student council? White president. Microbiologist. Grad student union? White president. Student body president? White criminology major. Not exactly leaders in dei. Almost all of the students involved in recognized leadership are not dei champions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not communal then?

15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    it takes a village.....if you suck as a parent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Without knowing all the details, that could simply mean that each individual stall has sink, toilet and shower but is accessible to one person at a time, whether male or female. Don’t necessarily mean that men and woman are showering together.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    My other professors didn't discuss politics in class, excepting the political science elective I took. But that class was about theories, not partisan politics.

19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I've repeatedly said behind Greek life. I realize not all of those positions are undergrad positions.

But I should point out that some of the biggest pushers of DEI are White people. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most if not all are either huge DEI supporters/advocates or are entirely neutral or silent on it.

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Well thank God for that. This changes everything. :rolleyes: