Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Athletic: Jaden Rashada’s Unprecedented Recruitment -- Going From $13.85 million To No NIL Deal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This is a desperate post

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    Already been reported that he got no or minuscule deal from ASU. His dad is an ASU alum; Rashada probably became so toxic after this they were the only ones offering him a landing space. Dad has already said he plans to go into portal after one year to try to play lotto again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. flnative75

flnative75 All American

Oct 17, 2011
    Tampa
    Since he is in California the state law says he can have NIL deals as a high school player.

As far as Rashada is concerned. No doubt in my mind the plan was always to go to the highest bidder and if all fails ASU was the fall back. Rashada “the coach has always had my back”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's pretty low and pathetic brother. No one knows the number of days anyone has on earth. C'mon you're better than this

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

A classically weak attempt at rebuttal. Accuse someone of being upset, which he obviously isn’t, and then attack him on …… his age? Credibility takes a hit below the waterline

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Back to the article- it actually does sound like Rashada wanted to come here.
    He clearly didn't feel at home at Miami and when he saw us beat TAMU it sealed the deal.
    So as crazy as this sounds- I wonder if we had given him a normal and affordable and reasonable NIL deal he would have come.
    Per the article- it also sounds like he is a good kid. I think he would have fit in well with our class. (CBN also has said something similar.)

The fact that he wanted to come here speaks well of CBN.

I actually felt a lot better after reading about both Rashada and CBN.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I'm sure he wouldn't have played up to the $14M valuation... because no one could have. It would have been ugly watching him struggle here trying to live up to that. Crisis averted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Personally, I think UF dodged a bullet. I don't think he will be all that and eventually some young player qb will get a boatload of money which creates some added pressure and will underperform.
    Never like nor will like this pay for play mess.

One question, how did this NIL come about? Was it an NCAA thing or politics as in politicians getting involved?

9. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Lawsuits that the NCAA lost brought on NIL. Their refusal to allow athletes to earn an income.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Yeah . . . I remember the first part where they said the kid basically fell apart because of all the pressure at the Elite 11 Finals:

With hundreds watching the passing drills from the stands at Redondo Union High School, Rashada struggled mightily; he repeatedly misfired on throws to receivers. Event organizers said Rashada appeared to be visibly stressed by the attention. A reporter covering the finals for The Athletic spotted him in tears.

That's just sad. That Elite 11 Finals should have been a moment he happily looked back on for years.

So maybe it will all be the best thing for him. I hope it is. He will be 18 by next Fall for sure and maybe his "advisors" won't have the same degree of influence over his life.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sounds like a lot of pressure on the kid. Somebody needs to let him have fun with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    That's really informative. So, with that kind of reaction to overwhelming pressure, it could have been a bad start for him at UF. Napier would have probably seen it early and let him mature before he played. Then people would have given him pressure to transfer back west. Or, he would have played and the UF fans would have dumped on him like they did with Jeff Driskel and Felipe Franks when they were thrown into the fire too early. Might have turned out even worse for us and him had he enrolled. Still leaves us with one big glaring hole on the roster, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Being a quarterback is tough. Having the talent is only half of it, you still have to be out there under the bright lights and perform under that pressure. The closest thing I can think of in baseball is a closer. A guy might be a great set up man and pitch the sixth seventh and eighth inning but fold up as a closer. It takes that mentality also

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    True, and good analogy with the pitching closer in baseball. I've always valued the guys in baseball who come through when they have to at the plate, too. Even if you're hitting .500, it doesn't matter much what you do when you're down nine runs or up seven in the eighth inning. It's the guy that consistently hits with men on in a close game that is the real asset. Like you said, when the lights are brightest, the true talent will shine through in any sport.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So does his lawyer/agent still get 10% of -0- that Az St had to pay up front?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    why feel terrible? He most likely knew what was going on; therefore, he had a hand in his own demise. He got what he deserved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I have this funny feeling that someone got pretty upset when this fell apart, as in canceling the Lambo, the Condo and the around the world 1 year 5 star vacation. And their last name was not Rashada.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Because he was (and is) still a kid. Kids should have the right to believe the adults surrounding them are protecting them and acting only in the CHILD's best interests . . . although I have seen many, many examples of this not being true and suspect that's what happened to this kid.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You should be able to trust your mom and dad. I’m inclined to believe Napier and staff were legit with Jaden

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    if you believe the Athletic article, he already had an 8mil deal with miami which he received his first payment. The only reason to walk away from that was greed. Lets not pretend he cared where is college was located

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1