Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Texas: Where healthcare just means more (if you’re a man)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by swampbabe, Jan 3, 2024.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    There was no outcome Kate Cox would have a healthy baby. And in Trisomy 18, the fetus dies in utero more than half the time. When this happens, the risk of sepsis rises significantly. Nearly 2/3 of women who do carry a Trisomy fetus to term deliver still birth. If the child lives a week, that's unusual. And it's usually a a painful life for the baby. And often comes with medical complications for the woman.

Cox had zero chance of ever taking a baby home, period. And carrying to term put her life in danger. The issue was, in Texas, her life had to be in imminent danger before they could abort. But if Cox waited until she was in imminent danger, the risk to her life increased significantly. The chances of a healthy child would always remain at 0%. Act when Cox did, and the risk to her life was minimal.

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    There was never anything wrong with the Constitution. Until old men in robes found a right to kill babies in the shadowy penumbra of the ancient document.

3. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    This decision was about the state of Texas NOT having to provide life saving medical care to pregnant women. If you are not familiar with the circumstances it’s probably best to butt out. Her doctors knew the facts and were still denied.

This is why this very personal decision should not involve politicians.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Really appreciate this response. I disagree with regards to having a law protecting the most innocent as I want that law on the books. But at the same time I appreciate and understand your position. I do not see it as limiting the rights of Texans. I see it as protecting the rights of Texans. At conception our lives began separated from our Mother and Father. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Texas provides an exception. You are trying to defend abortion as a whole. If the quote @duggers_dad provided is true. Then yes. The doctors in Texas had an obligation to protect the life inside the mother.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    First of all, nothing duggers dad says is ever true.

My post was about the 5th circuit denying women a medical exception in ER in opposition to EMTLA. Texas DID deny Kate Cox an abortion that could save her life even though they are supposed to allow for life saving medical care.

Again, you are totally clueless about women’s reproductive healthcare just as you are about a lot things.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    “reproductive healthcare”

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    So now the Constitution is illegitimate in your eyes because old men + old.

Where does it define "life" and "morality"? Quick answer, it doesn't. That's why we can kill people 7000 miles away without trial with your tax dollars and call it an operation. Lots of loopholes... This is just one of them, that most politicians like to keep open to fundraise based on emotions of the electorate. Polar issues make the superpacs a lot of $, why would they want to fell swoop fix anything? Patch, bitch, patch, bitch, that how our political system works. If they fixed everything on the books, the lawyers wouldn't have anything to do.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    duggersdad and Qanon2014 reside in the same bucket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    At the time Cox petitioned the Texas courts for an abortion, her life was not in danger. However, the fetus she was carrying had no chance of living maybe more than 1 week past birth. And in 2/3 cases like Cox's, the fetus doesn't make it to birth. In these cases, this puts the mother's life in danger.

Cox faced three choices. One, attempt to carry to term, which would put her life and future ability to carry to term likely in danger. Two, wait until her life was in imminent danger, which would mean her life and her future ability to carry to term was again in danger. Or three, get an abortion, which would mean very low risk for Kate Cox's life and future potential to carry to term in the future.

Texas law only allows for one or two. It's akin to saying they found a pre-cancerous mass in a woman with the BRCA1 gene, but the doctors can't do anything until there is actual cancer. The choice in this case should be between the woman and her doctors.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I’m with you on our proxy wars. Why won’t you similarly defend the life of the unborn ? Is it because you’re afraid people will become pissed off and argumentative ?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Because I dont want my tax $ going to prosecute mother's for their decisions. The almighty will judge for itself, not my role. Also it creates a mess trying to define every instance for doctors and regular folks(usually dumb as bricks).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007

Maybe research the case before the claim of “pure bs”.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    C'mon man, no one knows the definition of a woman... not even a female SCOTUS judge knows that answer.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    maga’s take on women’s health…

I felt like a walking coffin,” she said, fighting through tears. “You’re just walking around knowing that you have something that you hoped was going to be a baby for you, and it’s gone. And you’re just walking around carrying it.”

“Marlena Stell’s happiness turned to heartbreak after she found out about 9½ weeks into her pregnancy that she had suffered a miscarriage.
After she was told last year that the fetus did not have a heartbeat”

My doctor had said that since the heartbeat bill had just passed, she didn’t want me to do a D and C. And she asked that I try to miscarry at home,” said Stell, 42, of Conroe, Tex. “It just was emotionally difficult walking around, knowing that I had a dead fetus inside.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/20/abortion-miscarriage-texas-fetus-stell/

'You feel like a walking coffin': Conroe mom says Texas' strict abortion laws endangered her health

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    But we were told that Kate Cox would die if she didn’t abort her baby. Otherwise, the discussion would have centered on whether a child with health challenges should be permitted to live.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    No. I am not.

Do you believe the 99% of abortions for convenience/contraception are about the mothers health or their desire to not deal with the consequence they were part of in creating a precious New Life?

Texas has an exemption that protects the mothers health!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You heard incorrectly. We were told the chances of Kate Cox dying increased the longer she carried the fetus. But Kate's chances of dying were never 100%. The fetus' chances of dying were 66% I utero, and 100% within a week of birth.

In this case, with the fetus having no chance of survival, what's the point in forcing Kate to carry longer than she wants, and putting her life in increasing danger?

Under Texas law, she couldn't end the pregnancy until her life was in imminent danger.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  19. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    The article I posted is a deep dive on Cox and her obfuscation.

20. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You keep missing the point that Texas is not allowing their exemption to be applied. The percentage of elective abortions is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1