Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Texas and Florida, your move

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, Apr 11, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Political leadership aside, climate change is going to undermine Florida’s continual growth. Everyone is affected, but no state like Florida. The property insurance crisis feels like it’s going to mean the end Florida’s growth model of continual development. There’s just no way.

I don’t know how soon that will happen. It’s not happening as soon as I anticipated, and I’m not sure when it results in decreasing population and extreme measures about building on the beach. But it’s going to.

Locally I have long thought about South Tampa and the Peninsula, and the fact that it’s going to flood regularly fairly soon. We sold and got out of there for that reason. But the real estate market there has stayed very hot. But I feel strongly at some point it’s going to break. Anything that can’t go on, won’t go on.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If your "conscience" as a medical professional tells you not to treat those in need, your conscience is not of the Light, no matter what you think it is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Disgusting

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    This is shameful.
    And some have wondered and questioned why I have posted the story of Jesus healing the young 'special' servant in the context of the original untranslated Greek, as told in 2 of the gospels...

Anyone who is capable of helping or treating someone in need or stress, and intentionally fails to do so, is not a follower of the Christ.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Amen. Said better than I could.

6. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Yup. I’m on HI. Hurricane Ian freaked me out. If it had hit I’d have had five foot of water. In my home. Devastation would have been 100B-150B. We’ve dodged the big one since my first encounter with a Hurricane (Elena) when I was in Gvile. Getting older now so I’m giving myself 5 years to find a place in ST 15 ft or higher.

7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good luck! We got in the Riverside heights just in time. The market here now is crazy with people moving in.

8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Move over Florida and Texas… Michigan trying to get in on the nonsense but is several votes short making it illegal to live with someone you aren’t married to….

Half of Senate GOP votes to keep Michigan’s 92-year-old ban on unmarried cohabitation

Michigan’s senators voted Wednesday to repeal a nearly century-old law prohibiting unwed men and women from living together – a move half of all Republicans in the chamber objected.

“This type of family structure lends itself to instability and is not the optimal environment for raising children,” Sen. Thomas Albert, R-Lowell, said. “The problem with this reform is that it fails to recognize the secondary effects. ... This is a policy I cannot get behind, because there is clear and overwhelming evidence to show that it is better for children to be in a household with married parents.”

9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yet they bark about small government. Nobody's effing business who you choose to share a living space with.

10. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    So far as I can tell, Florida still had its cohabitation crime on the books until 2016. I don't remember a story about it at the time but looks like that provision was repealed.

11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas steps up! Education cannot include participative democracy, petitioning for the redress of grievances. Too dangerous

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Future subjects, not citizens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas continues to set the standard for effective pedagogy. It’s not like you can argue that third graders don’t need to dress a wound in todays world

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    OTOH, credit where due. Hope it becomes law

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tennessee makes a bold move to match the DeSantis Hillsdale energy, per Judd Legum

Last week, Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton (R) announced that he had appointed Laurie Cardoza-Moore to serve on the Tennessee Standards Recommendation Committee to oversee “Social Studies materials being reviewed for use in classrooms statewide.” Cardoza-Moore, known for holding extremist views and promoting conspiracy theories, has called "U.S. history textbooks" currently used in classrooms the "greatest national security threat to the United States."

Her organization believes 9-11 was an inside job and should not be taught as attributed to Al Queda

According to Akbari, when reviewing a textbook passage, PJTN “suggest[ed] removing” a sentence stating that “members of al-Qaeda carried out” the September 11 attacks. PJTN cited a “plethora of evidence” for the suggested removal, stating, “This is a highly contested (per [A]rchitects and [E]ngineers for 9/11 Truth, and demolition experts) argument.” Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth was a group that falsely claimed that 9/11 was an "inside job" because they believed the impact of the planes into the World Trade Center towers could not have resulted in their collapse. According to Akbari, “the quote was pulled ‘directly from a review that [Cardoza-Moore] made.”

Antifa staged 1-6

Cardoza-Moore continued to push conspiracy theories after the insurrection occurred at the Capitol on January 6, claiming that it was actually “Antifa” and not Trump supporters that stormed the Capitol. “Antifa stormed the Capitol! It wasn’t led by Trump Patriots,” Cardoza-Moore tweeted on January 7, 2021.

And kidnapping Gretchen Witmer was just being patriotic

Later that year, when news broke that right-wing extremists were planning to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D), Cardoza-Moore also expressed support for the kidnapping plot. “Am I missing something here? Didn’t the Founders address removing a tyrant from office in the Constitution?” Cardoza-Moore wrote in a now-deleted Facebook post. “Michiganders, it’s time to step up and defend your Constitutional rights!”

There's plenty more examples at the link, but I will observe the four paragraph rule.

But seriously, this feels so extreme yet people have views like this are exercising a lot of power and influence in our nation these days. Neither very fringe minority has figured out some way to really leverage influence in the system, or perhaps not as much of a fringe minority as I believe. That scares me.

I really feel like I have to leave Florida when I retire. Can't practically do it before then. But will it be safe anywhere in this great country that I could never imagine leaving the first 60 years of my life, despite being in the political minority the vast majority of that time.

Of course, black people in America have endured far worse for 400 years and have kept the faith with our promise, so it feels a little precious to bail. But man, if people like this are "in charge", feels like so much of what made us an imperfect but striving to improve beacon of liberty no longer exists.

Tennessee Speaker appoints conspiracy theorist to develop state social studies standards

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Does she want a whole class taught about how jet fuel cant destroy metal beams?

17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure - just wanted the part about attribution to Al Queda removed, at least so far.

Just free speech man. We don't want kids to be indoctrinated. They need to understand all points of view about whether 9/11 could've been an inside job don't try to stifle ideas you don't agree with.

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    What? Totally makes sense that if you are going to blow up a building that you would plant explosives and also fly planes into it at the same time because it would be too easy any other way. In fact, I heard they had Jewish space lasers hit it as well just to be sure.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Putting idiots in charge of things. Is it a fad, a trend, or policy now?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    It's mostly always been that way, its just that idiots can be more open about it and have more outlets to reveal themselves. People need to remember Scopes lost the famous "Monkey Trial."