Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Target Closing 9 Stores in cities because of Theft

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator95, Sep 27, 2023.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Why do I need to come up with a solution to their problems? But if I must, my solution is for them and other corporations to surrender their profits in an effort to build a socially democratic society where people don't need to steal basic consumer goods like deodorant, diapers and toothpaste. If they dont want to do that, then they can deal with the fallout of inequality and immiseration produced by capitalism with their profits and not taxpayer bailouts.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Show me where I said weak guidelines. Good try. Enforce the laws on the books and if they aren't stringent enough then make them harsher. Not complicated. But back to you thinking everything is rosey...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm sure none of us knows if the figures are accurate or not.

4. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    As mentioned above the problem with physically stopping shoplifters isn't the violence, but the litigation. Obviously this is the most extreme example, but imagine how much Oriellys is about to get sued for.

O'Reilly Auto Parts employee charged with murder after strangling alleged shoplifter to death

When I used to work at Target security was explicitly told not to get physical with shoplifters, and could only engage them at all if they physically exited the store.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Its for the sake of discussion lol this is a forum...

HA so let people just keep stealing? How in the world is that a solution? Guess what happens once you normalize that. Things only get worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Libbies don’t want criminals in jail so our tax dollars have to protect the actual producers from its failed policies and lack of strict LE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    That's why I asked how long you'd sentence someone convicted of stealing toothpaste or like $10 of stuff? It costs roughly $100k a year to imprison someone for a year in California. That's about $8300 a month. Even those people you posted with bags full of stuff arent stealing that much in value. How much do you want to spend to make sure Target's profits are maximized and you dont get mad at the news (which exists to make you mad like this)?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I'll ask you the same question, how much do you want to spend to maximize corporate profits and not get mad when you look at the news? It costs us money to put people in jail, it costs me nothing when someone steals from Target. For the sake of argument, I will concede that maybe we do want to put certain people in prison, but there is finite space, and we probably want to reserve if for the worst people, not poor people who steal from corporations. If the cops and their huge budgets cant do anything about more organized theft, they seem pretty useless to me. Why throw more money at them? You guys get mad, but all you want is more laws, harsher sentences more prisons, without any sort of evidence that it would do anything.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  9. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Wgb only believes the govt. he doesn’t believe greedy corps.
    Typical libbie mentality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Not a critique of your post ... Its sensible policy, but people act like its stupid or some kind of PC thing. I don't see many people saying "fight back if you get mugged." The same logic is at play. Its just property, no one needs to die or get injured seriously over something so small.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You believe the government if you believe the cops, I think they are liars

12. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I don't discount shoplifting because I think those numbers have increased while some other types of crime have gone down. But I think theft numbers had stabilized at least for some stores. I also thought people were saying that Target was being Bud-Lite'ed because of LGBT merch. How much of Target's problem should Matt Walsh get credit for versus the thieves?

13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Nothing will happen until an ivory tower in a gated community housing a politician is hit. Once the damage starts hitting the important people, unlike us peasants, that's when the politicians start caring.

Whenever politicians give you the empathy schtick, they're lying to you. They don't give a rat's ass about you. They just care about your wallet and your vote.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Zero.

15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For sure. Why risk millions of dollars in litigation over $100 worth of shit stolen. Like you also said, why spend 100k on incarceration over $100 worth of stuff. Its why I really don't know what the solution is. If I was super poor I'd be shoplifting as well

16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You basically said you wouldnt do anything different either. Great thread!

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It's just the biggest coincidence that the closing locations happened to be those.

It can't be about policy. Impossible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I lean toward not trusting the criminal.
    You consistently side with those who break the law and that puts the police and citizens at greater risk.
    You are a sick dude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Your Target or property isn't getting hit either nor is mine lol. You aren't a peasant and neither am I. No one posting here lives in decaying impoverished urban communities or is dealing with rampant crime. You all are just getting mad at news articles about places you dont live in.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What the F are you talking about? I said actually enforce the laws on the books. That isn't happening at all. So you can try to keep being one of the few who thinks this isn't an issue. If it's not an issue for you somehow you seem to really want to post in this thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1