Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Talent alone doesn't explain Florida Football's struggles over the past decade

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No idea because it’s not happened. Doesn’t look like it so far but if given the chance we may get to see.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He had a great roster when he arrived and did a great job with it. He recruited and coached well but he didn’t build a program from ashes which is what Napier is tasked with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Dude, there is no “But”. Your first sentence is the summit of understatement. The rosters the two coaches inherited were night and day. Qualifying that statement with ‘but this or but that’ dimishes the magnitude of the key point

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Just note who raised it and you have your answer, IMO.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Fair enough
    But you sounded kind of ungrateful for th Nattys

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Just to add to that, Meyer won everywhere that he coached (in college lol).

People hate on Meyer, but he has one of the cleanest W/L resumes in the history of college football. And he did it at Utah, at Florida, and at Ohio State.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not at all, he has just always went to talent. Napier was given the worst team in recent memories here. Just not at all the same scenario.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I agree with you.
    The looking back into the past, it can be said there were some bad hires.
    You can also say bad hires is a source to the lack of stability.
    Good hires do not result in the firing of coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. volungator

volungator All American

Ten years ago this would be true.
    In today's world of NIL and transfer portal 1/3 of the roster will bolt every year and 2/3's after a coaching change.

Loyalty and culture as Napier wants us to believe in, simply does not exist anymore.

College sports are now a collection of individual athletes. There is no such thing as TEAM anymore. To win big in this new era requires the coach to build a talented roster EVERY year.

FSU baseball proves my point.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Bama will keep on rolling if the coach can keep the ship straight. I doubt he could do any like Saban did as buying rosters is allowed for all teams. I read today that Phil Knight will spend unlimited nil to bring a ship to Oregon though. He’s worth 32 nil so he can afford any roster he wants if he is legit willing to pay like he claims he will. I bet the good ol boys figure out a rule to keep that from happening.
    Being able to dump a third of your roster will be an advantage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

DUH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We are hating on Kirby too. At Florida, winning is not everything. I’d still take a few more years of urban winning though. i’d take lap dances and players punching coaches over killing staffers I guess

• Like Like x 2
  13. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    The last several years of bad football is really imo a combination of things. Poor recruiting, poor coaching, poor on field decision making, poor development of players, poor hiring.
    Hopefully, this year things get turned around. We have to have a winning season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Or the abdication of their obligation to their players and recruiting. For that I consider our x HC mullen a low character sl--me ball. Never going to forget how his low energy mediocre staff threw the ucf game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not going to try to convince you that bama never paid a player. Boosters and alumni might have. But so was auburn, LSU, georgia, michigan and most of the rest of schools, one way or the other. I bet we did as well.

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Yes, but Bama, Saban, and Kirby had it refined almost to pure art status. BTW, I wonder if Tua's family still lives in Alabama? I somehow doubt it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO, the fatal mistake was when we hired Muschamp. Foley took a team built for the spread, and hired an up and coming dinosaur, someone wanting an antiquated pro style offense to be installed. Muschamp went all in on dis-mantling Urban's spread offense by hiring The Cheeseburger, (who thought highly of himself with his 'schematically advantaged' 50's offense, Cheeseburger was a total failure, as was Muschamp. Our team was built for speed and that move destroyed it.

We never recovered offensively until Mullen came here. Who knew that Mullen's tenure at Florida was all about getting fired and getting the big payout? I didn't think that, but that turned out to be the reality.

We never recovered from Muschamp..

CBN is the first one since Meyer who possibly can get us back to prominence. Fingers crossed that he succeeds.

• Like Like x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    That's pretty interesting. Do you think AD's (no matter what the team) think about what kind of players he has on a team when choosing head coaches to interview? Or it never enters their mind?

• Like Like x 2
  19. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would think most AD's think about what kind of offense and defense a coach will run and have that discussion with him.. For Urban's time here, many were saying that the spread wouldn't work in the SEC.. By 2010/11 that was no longer an issue. We were cutting edge for the future. It's obvious to me going back to leather helmets was a major blunder, and our AD should have taken more input before making that kind of move. Just my opinion. TOP was getting phased out, and we embraced it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    If we are going to talk about Misschimp's failures, we have to include some reference to his recruiting on offense. I believe he recruited 1.5 OL per cycle. Wasn't it Butters who followed and did not have an OL for his first Spring game then out of desperation signed about 7 otherwise unknown OL? What was he thinking?

• Agree Agree x 2