Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Swamp Kings - Netflix documentary [WARNING: Potential Spoilers From Post #10 On]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 96Gatorcise, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Can’t get worse if you’re innocent.

2. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    How do you prove innocence if you’re not charged with anything? There’s always the risk that some people don’t believe you anyway.

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Some people don’t believe him already. That’s the part that sucks. But I would scream my innocence from the rooftops, regardless

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    I know its late coming to the party but I just got the chance to see Swamp King for the first time at my daughters place since she has Netflix. It made me long for the good ole days when we had some swagger. My impressions:
    1. It was a whole lot milder than what i anticipated. As I recall, it was deemed to be somewhat of a hit piece on this program but it didn't dwell on the negatives. Hardly any mention of AH.
    2. I loved the way the team got after it in the weight room! Sadly, I don't sense that we have been anywhere close to what these guys put out. Personally, I think we still may lack that kind of all out effort that will be needed to compete against top talent. I do think one of those players is now on staff so maybe he can help lite a fire.
    3. Do we have enthusiastic leaders like Tebow and crew? That i don't know.
    4. When it comes to passion especially vs rivals, it's hard to beat Urban. To me, Urban comes off as a motivator, Billy comes off as a teacher.
    5. I loved the determination we had in burying uga after their TD stunt. We kicked butt.
    6. I remember Tebow's last year and being frustrated by their play especially the offense. We won but it was often excrutiating to watch as i recall.
    7. Little did the team know but maybe should have that bama was preparing for a rematch against us all year long. They were highly motivated and well prepared for us and at that time I don't think we were all that into it. I have to say, I give a lot of credit to Saban for the way he was able to keep his team motivated during their long run.
    8. Loved the two championship games, great memories.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Urban is great at getting programs to the mountain top, but he is not a coach who can sustain. Saban is way superior in that area, he built up more slowly but his programs are built to last. Even LSU has maintained a higher level of success while and after he coached there, while Meyer gets teams to soar and crash. The exception might be Utah, who have managed to stay relevant while Florida nose dived thanks to the 3M's!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Urban kept OSU up there. They stayed very competitive even after he left. Glad you note that Utah also remained competitive.

So...your premise that Meyer gets teams "to soar and crash" must be based solely on what happened at UF. Perhaps "team" might have been more appropriate than "teams".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. socalg8r

socalg8r GC Legend

Aug 8, 2007
    When you look at it that way, Utah and OSU still relevant, while the Gators have mostly floundered post-Urban, it begs the question why? Certainly poor coaching hires, but is there anything else in the water that contributed to it? How does culture get passed down from coach to coach? Legitimately asking...

8. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't recall OSU crashing either. We seem to the only unlucky ones, which might speak more to who was here after he left than him specifically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    My attempt to answer a great question...
    Florida admin's top priority is to never get embarrassed or look bad.

To give more detail to this answer...

Urban gets blamed for a lot of things he shouldn't, but I also understand the program under him could be described as out of control.
    Things we don't hear about. Not crazy stuff like murder, but out of control behavior and low character individuals.
    And Urban enabled it...

So my take is when Urban left the Florida admin said "never again."
    And this was the message loud and clear to the next coaches.
    Remember how Muschamp kicked off Jenoris Jenkins. That wasn't about 1 DB. It sent a message. The outlaw days are over.

Then think back about the Mac's credit card scandal. Some on here said it wasn't a big deal.
    IMO at UGA it gets swept under the rug. But notice Mac was gone just 2 months after that broke.

Then remember Mullen's comment about packing the swamp during the fall of 20?
    A huge national uproar. A lot of bad attention for UF.
    Right after that Mullen and the admin seemed to really sour. He was gone before the following season finished.

Just my 2 cents based on many conversations through the years...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator34654

Jun 5, 2007
    UM did more in the few years he was here (2 NC's) then all of the Gator coaches combined. As has been pointed out, only UF has crumbled since he left. It is very possible that the administrative people want a certain image to go along with it's academic accomplishments. But I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of poor choices similar to what ut went through. Apparently elite coaches are hard to find.
    Time will tell whether BN is the right one as in building a program. The thing that concerns many is not that we lose but how. It has everything to do with coaching imo verses building a program. Still, I hope he succeeds.

11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL

Different era. Different paradigm. Different kind of kid. Be happy you got to experience because kids like that aren't walking through the door anytime soon, if ever again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    I hear you, but really, doesn't it just come down to bad coaching hires? I doubt those hires were made so we could be saints.

Things soured with Mullen because he checked out, wasn't recruiting and it showed, and then the team fell apart and performed poorly. One dumb comment wasn't his downfall.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    The most impatient and unforgiving fan base. No one wants to admit it but it’s definitely a big part of it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hmmn, I was thinking Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and didn't follow through to tOSU! Totally true, they didn't crash but they have been Michigan's bitch for a while, which wasn't a regular thing since the "90's"!

15. gator34654

Jun 5, 2007
    If you go to other big program sites, I guarantee you fans like fsu, Lsu, osu, ut, uk and the list goes on are no different than UF fans.

I agree. A lot of things have changed with portal and NIL. Money talks now sadly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who, UF fans? Who gets a pass, nobody. Our staffs are paid a hell of a lot of money. Everyone since Meyer has dropped the ball on the program, their players, fans. Who the hell do the fans need to forgive, Muschamp, Mullen, Napier?

17. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    My theory is that Mullen checked out after Admin pushed back on him after the dumb covid comments. (The Missouri halftime antics didn't help.)
    If you remember he tried to go to the NFL at the end of that season.

What a change from the end of the 19 season when it looked like things were going well?
    I think something must have happened in 20 to piss him off. (It probably didn't take much.)

He couldn't get hired by the NFL, then decided to check out and ride it out until he got the buy out.

Last edited: May 9, 2024
  19. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    This is, indeed, a legitimate question that many of us lifelong Gators fans have asked, because we didn't just flounder post Urban; we floundered pre-Urban. In the pre-1980's, the narrative from the SEC rednecks like the leghumpers, toothless ones, and Gumps, etc., was that Florida boys were a bunch of surfer dude, beach guys who just wanted to chase bikinis.

Then Pell recruited like they did, and we kicked their asses, but the SEC and NCAA didn't like it. Hypocrites.

Spurrier changed the equation, because he was a generational offensive genius, and Meyer was an organizational and motivational genius.

But I do not know why we can't sustain the success without having to hire hall of fame coaches. Maybe no one can? I dunno.

• Like Like x 2
  20. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Maybe “unforgiving” wasn’t the best choice of words. How about toxic? The environment can become toxic pretty quickly around this program.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1