Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Suggestions for new offensive coordinator....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Endless Excuses, Nov 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'll add that the offense isn't as bad as some make it out to be but there definitely are a few concerns that might be related to Napier's philosophy that may not change even with a coordinator.

The biggest concern is one we already have experience with when we had muschamp. Play to not make mistakes and conserve a lead rather than continue to forcing pressure on the defense. If anyone constructively criticized Napier's 3rd quarter philosophy against Tennessee they were labeled a complainer in the face of a win. "Nobody suffers a win like a Gator fan" .....

We see it almost every game. We saw it against Arkansas. Down 14? No problem. Tie it up and then go back into our shell. It's maddening.

Maybe itz a Mertz thing but the inordinate amount of plays rolling to the right. We saw it with AR as well. I'm under the impression (maybe wrongly) that while it limits your options to half the field, if ran correctly it should give the QB a simple read hopefully involving a 2 on 1 advantage for the route runners. The problem is if and when it breaks down the play is immediately dead.

Our offensive line is big but it is terribly unathletic. Why are we asking our linemen to do things they can't do for the time being until we get bodies in that can? The concern is that Napier isn't adapting to the talent in front of him as evidenced by some of the screen designs (tackle on corner who has outside leverage with a ball placed outside as well) or the long drawn out play actions.

It's disheartening but I'll add this. When maclwein was here we knew we weren't going to score more than once more if that after our first scripted drive. Billy has shown the ability to put drives together what's obviously still missing is a mindset, consistency and situational play calling. That could bode well as the pressure from the outside noise starts to force his hand to change things sooner than later. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    I think it will be Jeff Scott. No buyout, he already knows Florida from a recruiting standpoint, and him and Napier have familiarity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. devincdoss

devincdoss Senior

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    From his Samford bio:
    “For the last two seasons, Callaway mentored record-setting quarterback Devlin Hodges. In 2018, Hodges earned the Walter Payton Award for the top offensive player in all of FCS football. That season, Hodges set a school record with 4,283 yards. For his career, the three-time SoCon Offensive Player of the Year and All-American, passed for an FCS-record 14,584, breaking the old record set by Steve McNair.

As a unit in 2018, Samford's offense led the nation in passing yards per game (392.7). The offense ranked fourth nationally in total offense (515.9 ypg.), and eighth in both red zone offense (.898) and in first downs (298).”

I know it was FCS but I wouldn’t be mad with this at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Im interested but out oline would have to step up for any oc to have success.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Every time we need a coach, Kerwin's name comes up. Do you ever wonder why he hasn't been hired? Kerwin is to Florida what Jon Gruden is to Tennessee.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Kerwin is getting close to retirement age. I'm not sure he would even want to be in the FL Gator pressure cooker at this point in his career.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Sometimes classes disintegrate because you dont monkey around with the coaching staff. Weak links need to be pruned...our o line coaching is awful and o line recruiting is terrible. Our entire o line minus Ocyrus transferred out and we dont have a bunch coming in at this point to fill the vacancy. Maybe that said something from within about our two coaches. We would be better off bringing in a great name and energy to that position and I doubt any recruit would be off put.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    You could be right, but I can’t help but think the chance to run his alma maters offense would be a dream come true for Kerwin. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

9. supduc

supduc Junior

Nov 30, 2016
    Username checks out.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Maybe he would “just” like to be oc for a few years. Truthfully if it were me and I was someone like Mullen, I’d prefer to do what I’m good at and not have to stand at the podium on Monday.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I always enjoy the bring back the old coaches. Spurrier, Mullen for OC etc. I know most are joking (at least I hope), but some may actually be serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I don't think many are joking but maybe my sarcasm radar needs adjusting

13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    After this winter, we will have several offense of lineman that have been recruited by the staff, but we have not seen any of them play yet. Harris is the only one on the depth chart so it’s a little early to evaluate what they have been recruiting. They certainly aren’t recruiting the top lineman in the nation as far as stars go, but it remains to be seen if they’re not at least as competent as an offense of line, like Kentucky would put on the field. we certainly are going to have to do better in Kentucky if we want to contend for titles

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I do think its a dream sequence right now. He is in his 3rd year as a HC at a FBS school and is doing okay. I kinda doubt (short of being canned) he would step down to take an OC job under a coach that is slowly wandering toward thin ice at UF. Maybe I'm wrong and its his dream job, but I think at this juncture of his career, he will only consider jobs where he is the head man.

15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sam Pittman was a pretty dang good OL coach...and he might be job hunting after this season.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Kerwin did the OC thing for Strong at USF and it backfired, left a good job at Valdosta St.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Listening to Shane Matthews (who apparently is close with Bell) this morning and he repeated what he's said numerous times - Kerwin has no interest in being an assistant again. The year at USF was miserable.

• Informative Informative x 5
  18. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    I'd like to see his son Kade get a shot as an analyst and work his way up. He's OC with Kerwin now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    People need to be more logical and realistic when it comes to these hires. Now with that being said this is why I believe the only option is Spurrier………

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    After listening to today's PC I don't think Billy Napier is capable of hiring an OC who isn't a yes man.

He stressed the importance of staying process oriented regardless of wins and losses. He will tell the masses that he his hiring an OC so he can devote more time to other things, and all he will do is hire a yes man who is "process oriented" and does the process Napier's way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.