Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Suggestions for new offensive coordinator....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Endless Excuses, Nov 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And their offense looks like garbage this week. Sanders, despite his mobility, is the most sacked QB on the country. I think Prime needs more beef (OL) and less flash.

2. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

At this point I’d be okay with using “Ask Madden” the rest of the year.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Until BN gets a complete offensive roster and a top level QB, I am not sure there is a lot of magic some other offensive coordinator could conjure up. Seems to me Napier has done a pretty masterful job with Mertz. But after watching LSU/Alabama and USC/Washington those teams are routinely making downfield throws that are just not within Mertz’s skill set, much less being about to have a QB make positive running yards.

Mertz seems to like what BN is doing in offense. Lagway seems to like what BN is doing on offense.

Any time the offense is not up to par, it’s always “play calling”, as if Jacksonville State just called the right plays, they could beat Georgia and Alabama. A lot of it is just talent on the field and execution.

Watching the game today it didn’t really seem like offensive production was the primary problem.

Sure I’d like a top notch OC to come, but that’s easier said than done and even if you get lucky and they are good, they are gone in one or two years.

So if we have an OC, we have somebody in the box calling plays. I’m assuming we have an assistant in the box coordinating with Napier in the play calling.

Do we really think Mike Bobo is a offensive mastermind?

We should have won that game today, but going in I figured it was a 50/50 proposition. Seems to me you let BN do his thing, and let it play out.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Charlie Weiss was a pretty big name..

• Like Like x 1
  5. jmhawk88

jmhawk88 Junior

Oct 19, 2018
    He was also a re-tread fired coach who was considered a laughing stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Did his last kid graduate from high school? Still... why do we need another running backs coach?

7. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2023-11-5_1-9-27.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2023-11-5_1-11-27.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. theycallmecoach

theycallmecoach All American

Sep 25, 2017
    The problem is still "developed talent".

WE have some talent on board but it is generally inexperienced. Plus we need much greater depth at just about every position.

It is going to take about two more years to get back to the top of the SEC.

That is two more recruiting years and next year's playing experience and we should be back by 2025.

Next year (2024), we will be better but it will take another year of playing experience to get there.

2025 should be a good year.

Billy needs to understand that being a HC and OC is just too much at this level.

I do not even think that the Old Ball Coach could do it anymore if he were young and energetic again.

Far too much work.

Billy has to get a good OC to relieve the stress on himself as well.

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart both have DCs. They are at the top of the coaching pyramid.

You cannot do everything anymore. Way too much work and one needs the extra eyes to spot problems as soon as possible and correct them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007

Much of our problems can be fixed by teaching proper blocking and tackling. I imagine we'd be far better if we simply learned those 2 easy to master football skills.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    For the love of GOD, please no Charlie Weiss sitting on a cooler, on the sidelines, running the Gator O!.......... Such a bad look.........

GO GATORS!!!!

13. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    We might win a game and become bowl eligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    It's been there from a few posters, for some reason it's treated like disparaging the sacred cow.

15. gatorpjb

gatorpjb All American

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    This is a perfectly rational and reasonable posting. They are called Head Coach for a reason. It really is not about Napier’s play calling abilities, historically he appears marginally good enough, not elite at it) but someone has to be responsible for the overall flow of the game and be in charge when crucial decisions are made.
    We had two horrible timeouts yesterday when the clock was winding down because the play wasn’t getting in quickly enough… it hurt us later on. Napier did prevent penalties in both situations, but neither timeout should been necessary.
    On the play where the offense was quickly getting lined up for a spike that would have given us a relatively easy field goal, miscommunication caused players to run on the field. Arkansas did call a time out but the 5 yard penalty was enough for a missed field goal. (I sit in the north end zone behind the goal posts, believe me it would have been good 5 yards closer)
    Theycallmecoach point is may I say on point, Billy needs an Offensive Coordinator, as well as a special teams coach, not necessarily because of his play calling, but because he is putting more than he can possibly deal with on himself.
    We scored enough points to win the game even with the crucial mistakes our young defense made, (they will get better, if only because of maturation and getting more familiar with the defense) but changes (that don’t involve firing the head coach) need to be made for us to make the steps necessary to cut down on the poor execution at crucial times that we have now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    He isn’t the play caller I’m pretty sure that is Mike Yurchich. I think Seider has OC-OC title so they can pay him more to hold on to him as a recruiter. Kind of like Sale for us (except he is good at recruiting).

• Like Like x 1
  18. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    But he has a phantom national championship

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

I think this sentiment is EXACTLY the problem at Florida right now (and I agree with you btw)
    We are statistically not bad on offense, mertz has been good… we seem to be a few plays/players away… and yet, that’s not really the story is it? Napier is losing the game within the game. Players and plays disappear for long periods, there seems to be no rhythm or flow, whole parts of the field aren’t used… But because we are CLOSE and have HOPE… we continue to think “well we have to stay the course”. And I think that’s gonna be the problem with making a change at OC or ultimately within the program. If you hire a new OC, does mertz and everyone have to learn a new system? Are we then on a new clock for evaluation of growth in the program? Does Billy hire a guy to call HIS offense (bunch sets, not spreading the field, not using middle the of the field frequently?) Or do we hope year 3 in the system gives them an edge and the oline and dline grow up a bit? That being said - I think Spurrier Jr, Frost and Scott would be my choices.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I’m pretty sure Chat GPT is our current OC with how bogged down in analytics they are

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.