Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Suggestions for new offensive coordinator....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Endless Excuses, Nov 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    The standing philosophy is ball control smash mouth offense which gives way to a more palatable offense when our defense gets blown out and we go down 14 then start passing and mixing it up. As soon as we claw back in it immediately goes back to ultra conservative Muschampball. We may have a weak line but we do have pretty talented skill players running routes which rarely break into big play tds. We also seem to also enjoy having everyone including the cheerleaders, beer salesmen and band show up within ten yards of the line of scrimmage then run directly into it. The wr screens are generally about as worthless as a teat on a bull too. You can look at that scoring total against some awful defenses and infer whatever makes you feel good but I dont think Im unique in noticing these deficiencies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Endless Excuses

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Similar to Heupel but maybe backed off 5-10%. UCF's offense didn't really skip a beat when Heupel came in and the transition between coaching philosophies was not noticeable. Spread things out wide, use the entire field up tempo most of the game. He also knows how to call time outs properly, spike the ball to get the field goal team on the field and isn't afraid to keep his foot on the gas if we go up by 3 points. He was also good enough most of our fans were on board with him being our coach when Mac left.

3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I liked Frost a lot.....but I'm not sure you really know his offense

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    Doesn't know Billy's, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually one of the reasons I wouldn't mind Frost as OC is that he has a similar philosophy to Napier offensively. Probably runs the QB a little more but they are definitely both run first guys

• Like Like x 2
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I'd like an OC that might stick around for 2-3 years, Frost would be out to rehabilitate his image and job hop on out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    I think that would be fine, if he can job hop out that means he did a good job. I do wonder if Billy would be willing to take on a guy with that kind of baggage. Seems to prefer the up and comers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Endless Excuses

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    lol...OK I live in Orlando too and watched him at UCF for every game of his career ...Ive held field and locker room passes for the better part of a decade for the work Ive done with the team. Im curious of what you see in our current offense which most of us dont. Am I missing Mike Martz greatest show on turf or am I missing the air raid offense.

I couldn't think of a more opposite design on offense from what BN runs and what Frost ran at UCF. They may both like to use run heavily but Frost repeatedly uses the whole field and BN likes to keep tight formations with a bunch of pre-snap movement. Frost routinely snapped the ball as fast as he could run plays while BN uses the whole clock. Theyre not even close in design.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    2-3 years is probably the time frame for any successful OC at a big time school unless they are unhireable due to age or past failure

• Like Like x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I also was around and saw pretty much all their games. Air raid offense? You didnt see that with Frost or Napier.
    Frost ran tempo when it was favorable...but not anything like Heupel. Billy likes tempo...but we are better served burning clock to shorten games and keep our defense off the field. When we have a better defense I expect more tempo.
    Both are heavily run first guys. Both like pre snap motion. Both very much spread the ball around, not relying on one guy or position. Both are very qb centric and it's crucial they have their guy. Both tend to adapt to what they have talent wise and that leads to some differences in how the offense looks at times. For example UF OL isn't adequate at present and that has to be factored into everything they run.
    All in all I think they are compatible. Not identical but philosophically on the same page

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    What do 700 plus yards of offense from the opposing team say to you?

Yes!!!! We need to throw downfield more with a QB who isn't good at it!!!

It's genius I tell you, genius!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    Maybe, people should try and discuss meaning things, then he wouldn't have to.

13. Claygator

Apr 11, 2007
    THAT's what you are disgusted by, after our offense scored 35 points against LSU in Red Stick, and our D gave up over 700 yards to the LSU offense?

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Mertz may do better downfield if he wasn’t getting flushed two seconds after the snap every play and having to role out half the time in order to have time to throw a ten yard pass.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Lots of things to be disgusted about.

Like bourbon drinkers. Bad oral hygiene. The list goes on.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    The Iggles want a super bowl.

17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    His play calling is conservative as right now everyone is playing tight because the margin for error is so low. Obviously there are Oline issues as well, but I think his offense will open up fine once we get going.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    If the QB runs back 30 yards and then throws a 25 yard pass behind the line of scrimmage, is it a forward pass or a lateral/pitch?

20. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Some think we already got a bunch of HS coaches.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.