Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Suburban or Wagoneer

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Good reply.
    Appreciate it. Tough decision and i know there’s a lot of hate on jeep from the past.
    I’ve had bad luck with with Chevy GM products myself.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    We've always have had suburban, lots of room

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    i had the jeep summit before my suburban. I loved it. It had more features than the x5 or A7 at a much lower price. Mine worked great and had no issues. Only sold it for space for 3 kids. We both liked the wagoneer but decided on $100,000+ in windows. Ours were original builders grade from 25 years ago so they were needed.

4. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Can't imagine why you're not a fan of the Expedition. For 16 years we've driven 2 of them back to back, with little to no major trouble or outlandish charges for maintenance repairs. We had just put brand new tires on the first one that was then almost 10 years old. Might still be driving it if it had not been totaled in an unfortunate accident. The newer replacement is equally dependable and reliable. Both trucks made Florida / Alaska round trips. The first one made the long rough trek one and a half times returning to the lower 48 by Alaska Marine Highway Ferry to Bellingham. The 2nd one made the round trip, on its return pulling an 8 foot U'Haul for our son and family when he finished his Air Force medical school obligation and moved to Colorado to join his surgical practice . Both trucks were and are work horses and have been driven extensively, criss crossing the continent several times when we could enjoy lengthy driving vacations as we once did. Mileage on both the one that was totaled and the current one is approaching 160,000 miles. They are well taken care of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ^^^wisdom right there.

@Orange_and_Bluke

(assuming you haven't taken the plunge already...).

If you've already pulled the trigger--well then....learn to love the one (vehicle) your with. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    How many people will fit in that? In high school I did get nine people into a Pinto.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Good question.
    I guess I’ve just never owned a Ford so I don’t consider them.
    FYI, we got the extended wagoneer.
    Triple Sunroof sold the wife lol.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    $100,000 in windows! What are they made of, sapphire crystal like Rolex watches? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. phatGator

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    What is night vision in a car?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Enjoy the new truck!!

11. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    It almost glides on the road. 100 miles, so far so good.
    Can’t wait to get it to the shop! lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. chompchamps

chompchamps Freshman

Apr 23, 2024
    This thread is to see who has him on ignore or not.

He hates you Libbies. He thinks you are all stupid.

Why would he ask you for advice?

Put him on ignore.

13. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    You don't have to, if the wife wanted the jeep, then that's what you got.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    100 miles on a Jeep product? It’s almost time for the first inexplicable electrical issue!

My money is on a coil, some of the door locks or window controls randomly stopping working, or a combination of random fuses blowing and the battery beginning its trend of somehow dying twice a year.

(If you can’t tell, I’m a former Jeep owner who is jaded on them. Currently drive a GMC truck with roughly 100k on it and only major repair I’ve done is changing the AC compressor under warranty.)

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    We had two GM vehicles before and we had experiences as you described for your jeep.
    I’m bracing myself…but man it drives so nice.
    It’s the third year out of this model and we’re banking on jeep ironing out the electrical issues they had in 22.
    2023 models had less issues…so crossing our fingers.
    Probably trade it around 30k for a gmc Yukon XL or something lol.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Every Jeep product I or a family member has ever owned other than a first gen Cherokee has had weird electrical gremlins. I don’t understand why Jeep seems to consistently have strange electrical problems, but that’s been my experience.

The plus side is they aren’t terribly expensive or difficult repairs, just annoying ones. Jeeps are the reason I know how to change coils and power window motors, and the last Jeep I had taught me to carry a jump starter and keep track of my car battery receipts for warranty (I can’t for the life of me figure out why, but it wasn’t just the battery trickling down, once or twice a year it would somehow completely kill the battery where it wouldn’t hold a charge anymore).

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    I’m glad I posted it here because now I’ll be on the lookout. And I’ll trade that sucker in so fast if it starts giving me trouble.
    [​IMG]

19. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    For electrical problems look no further than Range Rover. Those things can't get more than 30K miles before they are in the shop every other week.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Not always true. We bought our first Expedition specifically to make its first Alaska trip. It was however, not our first drive to Alaska. At our son and d-i-l's request the previous summer we had driven her Pathfinder to Anchorage when they relocated from Dayton where the Doc had completed his surgical residency at the Wright Patrick Air Force Base and Miami Valley residency programs. When he was in his last year of residency he splurged and bought a Porsche that he drove daily to the hospitals in Dayton.

After completing his residency he was assigned to Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage and needed the car immediately. He did not want to subject it to the rough roads through northern Canada and Alaska where car repair garages can be hundreds of miles apart. Maybe a thousand or more for Porsches. So they took advantage of the Air Force's offer to ship a single car per family and the Porsche was airlifted to Elmendorf. My daughter-in-law was pregnant with their 2nd child and needed her Pathfinder as quickly as we could make the 3,600 mile trip from Chicago, the starting point of our drive, to Eagle River Alaska, an Anchorage suburb. So we did not have much time for local side trips along the way. We flew back to Chicago where Trucker's car, a BMW, was in storage waiting to take us home to Florida.

We enjoyed the adventure of driving the AlCan and made plans to acquire an SUV to do it again and increase the length of time and expand our itinerary on the way north from Florida. Our return plans included the ferry ride south to Bellingham. When we begin looking for a comfortable and reliable SUV Trucker refused to look at GM or Chevys. He said they were too small and the cargo area was not flat when the seats were folded down. He wanted a roomier cargo area and 3rd row seating. I thought the Expedition was too big and the Explorer would be sufficient for our needs. We don't necessarily travel light so he insisted we needed the larger Expedition, and that's what we bought.

We had hardly crossed the border from Montana into Canada on the way to Calgary when I told him I had been wrong and he was right to buy the larger Expedition. It was music to his ears.