Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stolen Valor - Even Pubs See This as Wrong

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Jun 6, 2024.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It's about time we were able to bash John Wayne and Barack Obama in the same thread.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Interesting points. I haven't researched it but based on my initial skimming, it appears that the crime of stolen valor might require an intent to obtain "money, property, or other tangible benefit." Is sex considered "tangible"?

I'm trying to think of analogies. I'm not sure it would be a crime to lie about having cancer to gather sympathy, for example. However, if someone lies about having cancer to defraud charities and get money, it seems like that that would cross the criminal threshold. As another example, someone could lie about how much money he has to impress his date, but I imagine that'd be different than lying about it in connection with trying to secure a loan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Rep. Troy Nehls didn't earn military badge, watchdog group says | khou.com

“I disagree with the Awards and Decorations Branch revocation of my CIB which was awarded by the 101st Airborne Division, as I have an 11B MOS qualification,” Nehls wrote. “I further believe this is a concerted effort to discredit my military service and continued service to the American people as a Member of Congress.”