Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes no longer a Gator

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AndrewSpivey, Nov 20, 2022.

1. PD

PD VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Where was the personal attack? I made none.

You lied, and I was trying to be more creative and less direct in saying so. You don't like that route, fine: you lied. You made a false equivalency. Who are you trying to kid? Who is the audience for your lie?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. GatorGhost

GatorGhost GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So, a few thoughts if I may...
    I would think what really should matter for people to get upset is if the word is used in an offensive way or if the person saying it is or has been considered racist. I don't think these apply to Stokes singing. -Now counterpoint, is simply uttering the word singing, when you're supposed to know that if white you have no permission to even pronounce it, enough to be considered racist in itself?

So, I'm assuming you can't consider him racist, but I still think there are a couple of concerns that may have been enough to make this decision:
    1. The possible locker room problems it could generate in the future, or even with our own fans. His friends may be ok, but there might be one or more teammates that would hold that grudge. Plus he'd have to be looked at as a leader as QB.
    2. Realizing he might be dumb and reckless, as in "if he's dumb and reckless enough to do this on social media and not realize someone might not be ok with it, do you want someone like that leading your team? What other dumb thing will he do in the future?"

Of course, he might not be "good enough" to take a gamble on all this. I personally think it looks worse on UF cause the impression is we didn't need him anymore, and I really feel bad for the kid as it sets a tougher precedent for another university to take him in, even though he was singing and no one deems him racist at all, just dumb and reckless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jaxgatorlp03

jaxgatorlp03 Sophomore

Nov 8, 2019
    I couldn't care less whether I "am allowed" or not allowed to say the word, because its not in my vocabulary anyways. I know it was used as an insult and I dont listen to rap or anything so it never crosses my mind honestly.

But a lot of people actually believe that word describes a type of person, not an African or black american. They believe you can be white, hispanic, asian, etc and be a "that word."

I'm saying the issue lies more with someone(rappers) who might get offended by the use of the word by whites, yet use the word in their product. They are selling a product to people. If they dont want whites to "use" that product(song) then maybe they should say so. This is the context in which he used the same word other people might use as a term for endearment. I dont think Blacks have a monopoly on that word and the context in which it can be used. Stokes was using it in the same context a black person might, so do you have a problem with it if you know he is not saying it as an insult?

I'm not saying he should have put that video up. I'm saying he probably didnt think twice about it because he likes black culture(rap, fashion) as a white kid and there was no insult in the way it was used.

This is the exact same problem we saw with "If you aint a Gator, you're Gator bait." Lawrence Wright said they started that chant and they wanted it to be used but because of history its not ok?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr GC Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    see, that’s part of the problem. The “black community.” There is no “black community” or “white community.” You talk to 10 black people or 10 white people, you’re going to get likely get 10 different answers Coop. It doesn’t work that way man. So tired of this virtue signaling world we live in. People have literally profited millions from the lyrics of these songs, yet a white kid repeats them and is absolutely crucified & loses a scholly over it. It’s ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    zero tolerance isn’t always appropriate. One would think intent would play a factor. Players can do a lot worse but won’t get a scholarship pulled.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Look, just because you have a "GC Columnist" tag doesn't mean you are an authority of truth or of anything for that matter. In fact, watching you abuse the title and call our coach any name under the sun just shows me the type of person you are and the opinions you have. Nobody else is allowed to call the coach names yet we have the "GC Columnist" himself being above the law. More people on a left leaning forum agree with me than disagree with me. So why don't you take your drivel and idiotic rants somewhere else. I didn't read any of your rebuttals after you said you were a white man anyway. Your opinion doesn't matter to anyone else, much less me.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    I think this is the key. What was the intent? I can't read the kid's heart, but based on everything I've read, he did not seem to have any sort of malicious intent. That coupled with the fact his words were simply singing along to an African-American's artwork, I'm not sure why we're vilifying his actions to such a degree. Was it a wise move on his part? No, but it wasn't meant to offend anyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I agree with you there is no black or white community…you should quote the poster who brought up the “black community” in the first place to blame for this unfortunate story.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Were talking about a world that frowns upon "cultural appropriation" though. People aren't even allowed to copy anything without some believing there is a racist aspect to it. Dreads? Nope cant do that, cultural appropriation. Wanna wear a sombrero? Nope, cultural appropriation, you're racist. Paying homage is no longer a thing in the PC / cancel culture.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    A lot of it has evolved from just another way to one-up somebody else in a virtual setting. It's basically a glorified form of shit-posting.

11. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr GC Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    I think a better choice of words would’ve been the “hip hop community” when referencing who took up for Eminem. But, I suppose you could say “black community” for the sake of conversation and the predominantly black group that came to his defense in that situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    Your
    im pretty white (with a marvelous tan) . All these things you imagine to be true about white people isn’t. Here’s what is true if you (writ large) act like a racist asshole you’re going to have a hard time when your away from your like minded elk.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Sorry, I know you were trying so hard to piggy back off of PD and his thoughts but you'd be better off having your own opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  14. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Not an issue for me. Some have no idea what standards mean and there has to be higher expectations in any society. Let me be clear...Any word spoken or repeated maintains its original intent no matter how the person reading it applies makes excuses for it.
    The N word is not anymore acceptable than all other negative connotations and anyone that uses it are simply wrong and extremely ignorant. There is no such thing as partial acceptance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    Yes, I agree. Ban rap music and hold this kid accountable. Change his life forever, for repeating lyrics to a song.

16. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    You’ll be shocked to know that opinion is shared by non racists. Which is to say most of us these days.

17. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Sounds like the Kyle Larson situation for those who follow racing. Context is often ignored in this day and age of cancel culture.

18. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    He repeated the lyrics publicly. Which is acceptance.I will cuss in my own home but in public I respect others. I don't care where he goes. You want a scholarship then grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorchamps0607

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    Look, I didn't read any of the drivel that came from PD. So stop trying to piggy back off of what someone else is saying and just state your stance on the issue clearly. Nobody cares that you spend your time frying your brain and tanning. Maybe this is the reason you can't formulate an argument? You quoted PD saying something about virtue signaling and then quoted me talking about cultural appropriation. Why don't you do everyone a favor and stop being lazy. Go back and read the whole thread and let us know what problems you have in your own words and then we can discuss it like grownups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. okeechobee

Sep 11, 2022
    I hope there are no other players in the program who accept these types of lyrics. Fortunately, I think here at UF, we have perfect squares who would never listen to songs with the "n" word or repeat or play those songs publicly.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1