Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes no longer a Gator

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AndrewSpivey, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I have the opposite problem in my family. :D

I have about 10 seconds of speaking time to get my point across before I'm either tuned out or interrupted.:D But that applies to both the men and the women of my family.

I'm all for everyone trying to be fair. But the more you try to quantify things and box people into categories like "privileged" or "marginalized," the more likely you are to stray further from that goal, in my opinion. You just can't socially box people into categories like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Your response was something to the effect I find that hard to believe. I stand by my statement. There are so many videos being taken down by cancel culture that you really have to look hard to find the videos of Black mobs forcing White people to beg for forgiveness. Look it up if you want more evidence or just let it go and move on. What I sent you should have been enough to prove my point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    "There are so many videos of "black mobs" forcing white people to beg for forgiveness that you can't find any because of Cancel Culture" ... ok ... lol ... you don't have anything to back this up. Point made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Gotta say…that is a pretty outlandish claim.

5. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Social media users are sharing a video in which a man says he works for Black Lives Matter (BLM) and has been told by its “CEO” to get a white woman to kneel and apologize for her white privilege. The video – in which the woman is seen complying with the request – has provoked outrage, fueling angry rhetoric against BLM, a movement that campaigns against racism towards the African-American community. After this man scared this woman to death he told her it was a big joke.

This was a Reuters article. I don't think she thought it was a joke when he approached her. There are many more examples but I am officially done with this subject. Accept it or discount it, it really doesn't matter to me.

6. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    You gave me my first bacon. If I could figure out how to give you bacon for only part of your post above I would have. You are intent on assuming that no black folk can succeed without assistance; at least that’s what I get from “No, Black people can’t overcome what this country has done and continues to do to them on their own.” Two of my black buddies came up on the other side of the tracks literally two or three blocks from the paper mill..the worst part of our town. They had good families, though. One is a retired full bird colonel and the other owns his own lucrative business after many years of being in high-level corporate business. Both will have an easier retirement than I will. Other black buds that came from families with more money are also doing well;one a retired AF Lt Col flying for Delta that owns a million dollar home on the gulf, one with a home in ATL and another home in a lake town in Hungary. Both put my achievements to shame. They (and their parents) have achieved the American dream despite all the terrible things that this country tried to do to squash them (sarcasm). All of them were in a circle of friends that loved and supported them in the formative times of our lives. We remain strong and supportive friends. So, how do my friends and our experiences fit your narrative. I think you generalize too much and too much enjoy your jaded view. Take your bacon, but enjoy it if you enjoy pork as much as I do. And know that I will gladly be your friend and cheer you in your accomplishments as I cheer all my friends’ achievements.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I understand the same people have been suppressing all those videos of litter boxes in classrooms.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, the Reuters article is a fact check that found the claims about the video (including that it was tied to BLM) false. It appears that he is a content creator that does this to people for laughs. So yeah, still not supporting your claim even once, despite claiming that it was happening constantly.

Fact check: Man asking white woman to kneel and apologize is not a representative of Black Lives Matter

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do you think the woman in the video thought it was a joke. The article clearly states she was scared to death. You may not think it should be taken seriously but it didn't happen to you did it???

10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, it actually doesn't. A Tweet from some random Twitter user claimed that it was either a set up or that she was "terrified." Closest I could find in the article. The article made no such claim.

BTW, if you read what the creator said about the video (as linked in the article)

11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I’m still convinced Nape saw this as a convenient end to a scholarship numbers problem. If this kid was elite I don’t think this happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Does it really matter. You want to slough it off as just some comedy sketch. First you deny it ever happened then you laugh it off as just a comedy routine. Not everyone has your sense of humor so you justify it. I don't find it funny and you have missed my entire point which is to say these sorts of things do not help the racial tension in this country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    Fully appreciate the circumstance. I didn’t mention that I am also the first in my lineage to get a college degree. Worked tending bar at Piccadilly in the mall and then running the kitchen at the Olde College Inn. Those late nights and availability of adult beverages didn’t help my GPA, either. Only ever had one 8am class early in my degree pursuit and learned not to do that again. Sounds like we have the old bootstraps pulling effort in common.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. GatorInAtl

GatorInAtl VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And who would be the ones to suggest that they end? The people getting the benefits? Not likely. Ever.

Once a populace becomes hooked on a benefit, it is nearly impossible to take it away.

In the meantime, these programs will continue to breed discontent and envy to all the groups not getting those benefits.

And true equality will remain a pipe dream until everyone is truly equal with regards to benefits offered by the establishment.

It intellectually dishonest to claim to fight for equality while simultaneously espousing affirmitive action. The two are, by defintion, incompatible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes.

No, that is what the guy who made it said.

You claimed that white people are "constantly" having this happen to them, and your evidence thus far is that some right-wing jerkoff decided to do it as a "joke." I agree, it isn't funny. Nor is it an actual example of the thing that you said happens constantly, given that it was meant in a non-earnest manner. It was meant as a way to mock "the left."

16. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    gator_lawyer is a Democratic Party operative. His goal is not to help people. His goal is to force people into dependency on him and his political party, because his power is at stake. He preys on people’s worst instincts in order to retain his power and dominion over others. This is why he will argue with you about how YOU should feel, because his goal is to keep people down in order to retain his power.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    ok your points on affirmative action are horseshit. You can’t enslave a people for the first 100 years of this country’s existence, then systematically oppress them for the next 100 and then expect them to prosper without any sort of assistance. Get real.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. akaijenkins1

akaijenkins1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So you're saying that we should ignore the fact that for at least 150 years the establishment offered benefits to only one group and not others while for many of those same years literally restricted certain groups from ANY rights let alone benefits, correct?

Because your framing makes it seem as though the only benefits this country has EVER offered has been "handouts" like affirmative action to people of color and women, but... I got news for you boss, there's been plenty benefits prior to all that and not very much equality.

So I agree with you on that pipe dream. No one here has said affirmative action should last forever. But we are not there yet. I literally would not be where I am today without it, full stop. The avenue to the opportunity ONLY opened because of the thoughtfulness affirmative action put in place.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here are the facts. I told you this was happening. You didn't believe it was happening. I showed you 2 examples of this happening. Obviously these examples didn't satisfy you or you just decided to justify them. Do you really believe these are the only 2 examples of this behavior. If you are so obsessed to getting to the bottom of it go research it yourself. I don't need to justify my statement any further. I have already done that twice.

Unfortunately you completely miss my entire point and that is to say that if we are going to end racism in this country it must come from everyone and everywhere. Reverse racism is a real thing and if you didn't like my example of it then find your own or do you not believe there is reverse racism going on in this country. That is the bigger more important question. You are getting stuck in the mud over the wrong narrative.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Martin Luther King, Jr., and Thurgood Marshall both say you're wrong. It is intellectually dishonest to pretend that you are interested in "true equality" when you seek to do nothing about the wrongs done by this country. What you seek is the façade of equality. You get to feel good about yourself without having to sacrifice a thing.

My goal is genuine equality. Go project your flaws on to somebody else. Maybe you can still attend the Dr. Oz victory party. :emoji_joy:

• Winner Winner x 1