Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Stokes no longer a Gator

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by AndrewSpivey, Nov 20, 2022.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I know you're not referring to me since I clearly said I don't believe he's racist or a bad person

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Because that's the reason why they cut him loose now. As I said, he created a PR headache, and they decided he wasn't worth keeping. That's how it goes in the real world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    By using the word libbies, you seem to be acknowledging that liberals are by and large more sensitive to racism than righties. That's been my experience by and large.

Being sensitive to the experience of others should not be an imposition. Many on the right seem.to think so. They certainly fought tooth and nail against integration.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are so desperate to try and win a point. I Never said he used the word after he got famous. I simply said he used the word and was given a pass. I also brought up Tarantino as an example but you weren't willing to even address that example. Keep trying to make yourself right and turn my comment into something that works for you. How about I restate my position one last time and we move on. EMINEM USED THE WORD IN A SONG WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER AND THE HIP HOP COMMUNITY GAVE HIM A PASS. Can you finally agree with that statement or are you going to continue to fall on your sword over your perceived depth of my statement.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not necessarily more sensitive. They just like to use racism as a political weapon against Pubs. My experience has been that every time a liberal wants to put a Republican on defense they bring up racism. I think it is ridiculous just how much liberals are willing to go down the racism road.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    The only ones who lost here are those crying for a backup QB that was never going to play at UF being shown the door.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They cut him because he is not as good as the other guy. As I have stated before if he was the number one QB in the country, I suggest he would not have been cut and everyone would have laughed off his video as a stupid Hip Hop culture mistake that he will learn from.

8. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    That's not what you said. You said there are many white people who use (aka still presently do) the word in their art. That was a lie. Eminem used the word one time in an old tape from when he was a high schooler in the 80s, which was long before he signed a record deal in the late 90s. You should be thanking me for educating you instead of adamantly refusing to admit you were wrong.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rashada committed on November 10. Florida yanked Stokes's scholarship on November 20 for his video. If they were going to yank his scholarship no matter what because of Rashada's flip, why wait 10 days until he posted the video? The fact that they had Rashada certainly made it an easy decision. But it's not the biggest reason why they did it now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Not Pubs; righties. Neither libbies nor righties cover all liberals or conservatives. They do cover the extremes, but if some of you insist on the derogatory libbie as all-encompassing, I'll use righty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I will, but what was your point?

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The punishment probably has plenty to do with the Rashada commitment. If he was by far the best option at QB for this class, I don't think they would've pulled the scholarship offer.

That said, I'm not incredibly angry about this decision. He's a QB, he's supposed to be the leader of the team. Does this mean he's a bad person? No. Does it mean he's a racist, no. But it does mean it would likely cause drama in the locker room. So if we're just looking at it from a "what's best for the Gators" perspective? It's best to part ways with civility. It sucks, and I agree it is not fair to Stokes. Life isn't fair. I sincerely hope he gets another opportunity at another program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Kids do stupid things all the time.

I think it's odd as a society that someone is more likely to get long-term flack for repeating a slur in a song than they are for say stealing in high school.

Society can forgive stealing once, but say the N-word once, even if the context is singing the lyrics to a song, and the brand of "racist" will be following the kid around for the next decade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are right this time. I should have said some not most and I certainly don't think you see Stokes as a racist. Sorry if my post made you feel I was suggesting you were calling Stokes a racist.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment but when do we start this “colorblind” society? If not now then when?

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If Arch Manning did this, the team would have demanded an apology and given him a slap on the wrist, and he probably would've been chewed out by his family, but no long-term consequences.

Life isn't fair. When it comes to football, most people care a lot more about your ability than your character. That's the bottom line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That is the million dollar question for the people who support affirmative-action-like policies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fair enough. Libbies, righties, Dems, Pubs are words used to generalize and in most cases generalizations are not called for. It just seems to be easier when trying to make a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The guy that fought the hardest to stop integration is the current President

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. travlingator

travlingator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Go back to the beginning of this topic. No need for me to restate it now.

• Agree Agree x 1