Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Steve Spurrier on Billy Napier calling plays, UF's offense: ‘We need to toss more deeper balls’

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. — One of the biggest talking points right now with the Florida football team is Billy Napier calling plays. Some fan podcasts and reporters have called for him to relinquish play-calling duties, but Napier said Monday that he’s still running the Gators’ offense.

Steve Spurrier shared his opinion on the subject Tuesday. During his radio show on WRUF, the Head Ball Coach was asked if and how Napier can become more aggressive with his offensive scheme and throw the ball more.

USC and Colorado have the nation’s No. 4 and No. 5 passing offenses, respectively, after their 48-41 shootout between Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams and Heisman candidate Shedeur Sanders. Graham Mertz has been one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the country this season (79.1%), but to Spurrier’s point, Florida isn’t taking many deep shots with him.

Steve Spurrier on Billy Napier calling plays, UF's offense: ‘We need to toss more deeper balls’

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Napier could easily work in more deep ball passes. Mertz has the arm strength to do it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I don't think it's a stretch to say that is why his completion % is so high... the passes are not as deep/risky/challenging. I wonder if that is because that is what Napier is telling him to do, what he is doing because he is risk averse, or both. I agree he has the arm strength, but does he have the deep throw accuracy and vision is my question.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    No surprise that Spurrier feels that way. I think most of us do. A bit surprised he would actually put it out there tho. Here's hoping it is well received and listened to.

• Agree Agree x 11
  5. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Not that it would ever happen but it’d be fun to give Billy a series then Spurrier a series and alternate and see who is better. Same playbook but who has a better feel for what’s going on.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    Mertz has missed on the few deep shots he's taken, maybe he's just not that accurate over 15 yards? If we hit that one early vs. UK...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Wait, what, doesn't he know our qb will get hammered or invite more rushes? I kid. But, I happen to agree with him and I think he knows a thing or two about offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    That could be true... but he needs to toss at least 3 or 4 of them per game, IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gator34654

Jun 5, 2007
    I honestly think it's more of the scheme BN likes. Keep down and distance manageable is what I hear however it's not working. I think BN takes more safe short passes to avoid int's but what its producing is poor third down conversions and and O that's stuck in the mud. Heck, most of us know its game over if we get more than 10 points behind in the second half because we have no 2 minute offense. Our 2 minute offense is more like 6 minutes.
    I believe we can add more medium long passes by mixing up the play calls, becoming less predictable and becoming less conservative. Hopefully, BN will consider what advice Steve his sharing. However, I'd rather Steve share this one on one with BN than making this public since BN is already under a lot of scrutiny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Whoah now, going deep and bad things might happen, keep it short and conservative.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gator34654

Jun 5, 2007
    SS said, "He’s (BN) done it his whole head coaching career,” He said. “So, I used to always say if you’re offensive coordinator, head coach, playcaller and you get another job, that’s the reason you got it because you’re pretty good at doing that. So, obviously we thought he was very good at it — as a head coach and as a playcaller — and that’s why we hired him."
    Two things, I may be wrong but I think we hired him for his ability to turn a program around and he had won their division (and was a high character guy that people in the profession spoke highly of). The other thing, his offensive scheme seem to work ok in the Sunbelt but the SEC is all together different as he is finding out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I can see that being the scheme that Napier likes more, but then again look back at how many times AR tossed to ball deep last year. I liked that we could toss the ball on any part of the field and get a TD to one of our receivers.

I like the balance of a good healthy running game with an added deep-ball passing component to our offense.

Balance is essential to our offense, and I think we need to add more deep balls to that equation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    I’ve read several times that guys are open downfield. Either Mertz is not seeing them, he checks down too soon, and/or he doesn’t have time because the pocket collapses. Maybe we need to start drives with 10+ pass attempts downfield instead of running straight into the teeth of the defense and see how that works out

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I can see you don't need a sarcasm emoji. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Billy can watch Spencer Rattler and Brady Cook throw the ball over our heads soon enough and take notes.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    By the fourth quarter Mertz was not even looking down field for wide open receivers becasue... who knows. Maybe he was banged up... tired... running for his life... insert a reason and that might just be why...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Agree. Listened to it yesterday. You could tell he differs from Napier’s approach (no shocker there), but was very professional about it. Loved when he was asked about how he got his QB’s to throw to a spot instead of looking at the receiver “We practiced it!”. I miss him and his style of play so much.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    It's called the Scared Money Offense. It's going to take over football, just watch! :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Why is SOS the God Standard when he hasn't produced a high-powered passing offense offense in 23 years? It is nothing more than a suggestion. Does anyone think he would sabotage the current Florida coach at this point in his life?!? He didn't do it with Zook, Muschamp, McElwain, Mullen or Napier. Why are people so in love with this? Because that is really all they KNOW?

"If the Ball Coach farts, does that mean everything?" I've seen Spurrier as a player and and a coach. Leave the man ALONE!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm curious if his misses downfield have gotten into his head. He had two really bad misses downfield to start the Kentucky game. Don't recall him hitting any deep ones in stride at all yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2