Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Steve Spurrier decries sale of AR-15s after Georgia high school mass shooting

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Sep 11, 2024.

1. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Seriously lmao at “not wanting to disturb others” while defending your home using an assault rifle. Yeah totally. Shhhhh I’m trying to shoot an intruder - better not wake the neighbors!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I dont see where Ben said you aor SOS are not entitled to an opinion. I just see him saying he isnt inclined to share it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Pretty sure you have discounted some opinions on subjects on this board. It isnt that they dont count, it's that they aren't relevant to you.

Same here.

I personally agree with Spurrier, although I would be fine if trustworthy people were allowed to own such a weapon with much stricter background testing and licensing and maybe a limit in the number of active licenses at any given time. Also maybe a limit based on minors living in a home.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    With the Head Ball Coach you never knew what you were going to get, stirring victories over FSU and domination over Georgia or the Fiasco in the Fiesta or the Choke at Doak.

5. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I’m no home defense expert, but unless my house was pitch black with no moonlight coming in, no way I’m turning on a bright ass light and giving up my exact location to the home invader.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I think there’s nuance here, Tilly.

Does he discount people’s opinion based upon reading it and disagreeing with what they say, or does he discount people’s opinion because he feels their opinion isn’t valid. These aren’t the same things, and that is what was said about Spurrier’s opinion.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    "...those specialized applications..." lol!

Bc gang bangers are going to RSVP before raiding your house? Ask you permission, give you a heads up, with enough time so you could go down to the local ATF office, and put in for such a special permit? o_O

:monkey:

8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

That is not even REMOTELY how it worked. Please stop posting clearly erroneous information. The Bill of Rights after ratification did NOT apply to the states (Barron v. Baltimore.) Even after the 14th Amendment was adopted, the BoR did not automatically apply. Google "incorporation of Bill of Rights" and try to learn something instead of posting this erroneous nonsense. You've been told about this before, yet you persist. SMH.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I think y'all may be talking past each other. While yes, that’s how incorporation worked, I read Rick’s post as noting that the Second Amendment doesn’t distinguish between categories of arms that are or are not within the scope of its protection, not anything to do with whether it applies to states or not.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    It took less than a page for someone to say about SOS, "Shut up old man!"

If this were my site, that would be an insta-ban offense.

Also, if you live anywhere but on a ranch in Montana and you are going to be whipping out an AR-15 every time a tree branch falls outside, you are an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    What "qualifications" does one need to offer an opinion about rampant gun violence in America? Does one need to be a pedant?

• Like Like x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Where do you think “gang bangers” GET their guns? Why do they have such a preponderance and access to firearms?

They aren’t hijacking gun shipments from a “well regulated militia”. They are just literally taking them from uncle Cletus’ unlocked glovebox (or in the case of Chicago, having straw purchasers cross state lines and buy from Indiana gun stores).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    That's why everyone needs night vision goggles too. Come on man, keep up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    SOS is frustrated, but didn't offer any solution. Attacking one type of weapon isn't going to solve mass shootings, it will just evolve into other forms.

In America, if you are marginalized and beyond help, your only recourse is to go out in a blaze of glory, romanticized by 100 years of Hollywood films and easy access and destruction of masculinity. Young men are mostly the problem, and it's going to get worse, much worse.

Young men are economically depressed, lack relationships and sex, not going to higher education and are involved in violent video games and sometimes drugs. I also believe diet and synthetic estrogens in our environment play a role, but our society is a bigger cause imo.

Banning AR-15 sounds good on paper, but I don't see 22 year old women buying them and shooting up schools. It's a male problem.

15. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Silly me I have a sweet black lab for my home defense. He probably would lick to death an intruder. Where do you live that you think you need an assault rifle for home defense? I suggest moving somewhere safer.

• Like Like x 2
  16. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    When I lived in downtown Atlanta I had a pump shotgun. I think I had a couple of birdshot shells. I was told that the sound of a pump would scare the crap out of anyone sane. I also had a sweet bullmastiff. One time a crack head hopped my fence and approached my wife who was doing some gardening. My bullie got up and stretched between my wife and him. The crack head kept coming. My Bullie then barked. Only time he ever really barked in his life. It shook the Windows. I think the crackhead is still running. A dog is the best and only home defense anyone needs.
    Someone usually replies what if someone throws him a steak with a sleeping pill in it. Anyone planning things out is not a threat to my personal safety.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Just “banning” a particular model or even class of weapons of course wouldn’t prevent 100% of mass shootings.

But you have to admit there is a pattern. Yes, part of the pattern is “disaffected young male”. But another pattern is the AR-15, and maybe I’m off base but in alot of places it’s easier for them to aquire that AR-15 than it would be the handgun. Thus it’s the “weapon of choice” not just for killing efficiency, but also accessibility.

Obviously each case is unique. The ones where an 18 year old (with issues) goes out and buys an AR-15, then days later goes and shoots up a school it’s pretty easy to say that gun transaction was the weak point. When it’s a parents weapon it adds another layer of complexity. But so many of these cases have obvious “warning signs” you do need to ask if even the parents were fit to have guns in the house.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    My point is let's say you ban AR-15 sales. What is the next weapon of choice for an 18 year old male? Some other weapons are just as deadly and easier to conceal. The AR is glorified in video games and social media, but it won't take long to gravitate to another weapon of choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thomadm

thomadm VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I mentioned this in another thread after a mass shooting last year I think, but to your point about parents buying a weapon and then the child killing someone with it, that seems easy to make the parents criminally liable. That needs to happen. When you purchase a weapon, you are the one that should be held liable for that weapon and it's safekeeping. Freedom and security have to have responsibility attached to it.

20. danmanne65

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    I just went through the nightmare of getting a new homeowner’s policy on my house. Nowhere was I asked if I had an assault weapon. If I was in charge homeowner’s insurance would be impossible to get if you had a gun that held more than say ten rounds in it in the house.

• Like Like x 1