Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Steve Spurrier decries sale of AR-15s after Georgia high school mass shooting

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Sep 11, 2024.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I asked this question once in another forum. One person answered there could be something like an LA riots scenario where you have to stand at your second story window and eliminate dozens of gang members rushing the house.

I also was told they were good for hunting feral hogs - which seems plausible. For those specialized applications I would think a license would be appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Well… I do think they can be effective for home defense. Absolutely. But then again so can a claymore mine and machine guns. Should we use those too? I think that handguns are probably sufficient. Even with an AR you aren’t bulletproof or guaranteed to survive an attack. But let’s say we don’t get rid of the AR… it’s not just the ownership, but these folks don’t want background checks or any restrictions. Why is it easier to get than a hand gun? Just so much to unpack.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    Silly. But those people weren't lying. There's the tiniest chance of that. It very well could happen.

It's just patently obvious that it's way, way, multiples more likely that these weapons will be used to blast someone's kids in school. Or a highway in Kentucky. Or a store.

Obviously you know all this. I'm just venting I guess. Because the situation is absurd - people don't see the cost/benefit analysis. God bless Steve Spurrier.

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So you are worried in the extremely rare case that you will actually have to fire a gun in self defense that you may have hearing damage?

Aside from yourself do you not worry about others less capable getting ahold of these weapons and hurting people?

The odds that you will actually use and need to discharge a weapon in a home invasion are really small. The odds that an AR15 will give you incrementally more protection is even smaller. Do you drive the speed limit everywhere? Do you drive the safest car possible? You may be more likely to get struck by lighting than benefitting from an AR15 in a home invasion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Good for the legendary coach to speak his mind. MAGA Gator fans won’t like him saying this. They’re gonna call him woke and boycott his restaurant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So I suspect your opinion is pretty much in line with Spurriers and mine even though you know 1000 times more than we do on the subject. But yet according to Ben our opinions don’t count.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    People really struggle with probabilities. Sometimes I’ll think of something and maybe I should worry about that. Then I do the math in my head and the probability is usually much less than the probability of me dying in a car wreck on that particular day. Take reasonable precautions but there is a balance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    We're a nation of Philistines. Last month, I had to walk past a sign every day at the beach that said "This household is voting for the felon." And it wasn't a joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Plus, it's really good at penetrating neighbor's walls with small children inside.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. agigator

agigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He's a Gator and this is a Gator message board. I can see why people, on this board, might find the story interesting even if it doesn't change their opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    ammosexuals will not be pleased

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll take SOS' interpretation of the Constitution over yours every day. You understand literally NOTHING about the history of the 2A and how it came to be applied to the states. Go have a catburger, you'll feel better.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I love how the LEFTISTS here try to make LEGAL citizens the bad guys when it comes to our Constitutional rights... as if anyone is just going to voluntarily give up that right... or like someone is just going to abridge that right.

We have CONSTITUTIONAL rights, and those rights do not distinguish styles of weapons used in those rights.

Where are you guys when illegals are murdering innocent Americans here in our country? Or where are you when a violent felon gets weapons illegally and starts killing people?

Why aren't you speaking out against all the black people getting murdered by street thugs in Chicago, by violent felon, gangbangers with guns?

When the Bill of rights was signed into law/ratified, ALL WEAPONS WERE WEAPONS OF WAR, AND ASSAULT WEAPONS.

Are we even talking about this shooter/murderer's mental state of mind? Was he normal or was his mentally ill

And we all love SOS as a great football player and coach, but his word on our Constitutional rights means nothing. But he might be getting a bit old...SOS also thinks we should let FSU into the SEC... HAIL NO!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The only head scratching part of the quote to me, was ".. why in the world, in America...."--

To which I must instinctively reply: "where in the world BUT in America...".

Land of the free, home of the brave... and the 2nd Amendment...

It's ingrained in our national DNA--that's "why, in America..." Coach.

C'est la vie.

Respectfully.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I can think of a historical precedent that argues rather compellingly FOR liberal application of the 2nd Amendment: the slaves of the South probably wouldn't have needed their white northern liberators to free them from the bondage of slavery, if they hadn't first been deprived of their second Amendment rights.

:cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s kind of an odd perspective you think slaves were only deprived of their 2nd amendment rights as opposed to say… all of them.

Might also be worth noting that we now live in a society where slavery isn’t so much of a thing, whereas school shootings and mass shootings are at least a common enough occurrence to be in the back of everyone’s minds a lot of the time.

But yeah, otherwise spot on. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024

"Mommy, daddy...why did those other kids at school all get slaughtered, and why do we all have to practice hiding in school from a bad man witha gun who wants to kill us all?"

"It's in our DNA. There's nothing we can do about it. C'est la vie, daughter. "

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    Also: am greatly enjoying watching supporters of a criminal who tried to take the Constitutional right to vote away from 10s of millions through a criminal conspiracy to overturn an election.....

......bray, when it comes to assault rifles about...."Muh rights!"

"The guy I'm voting for for President tried to nullify your vote? C'est la vie."

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

I mean sure if slaves were armed I guess we can say they never would have been kidnapped by the colonial powers from Africa in the first place (right wingers I guess are confused as to whether slaves should have taken up arms and killed the European and American slave traders, or whether they were “better off” from learned job skills and free health care).

It seems to always go back to some fantasy about overthrowing the govt. The obvious fundamental flaw in 92’s argument was the last time there was organized rebellion against this govt it was done NOT to free slaves, but instead to protect the institution of slavery in the so called confederate states.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1