Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Steve Spurrier decries sale of AR-15s after Georgia high school mass shooting

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Sep 11, 2024.

1. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    A mass shooting that killed four people at Apalachee High School in Winder, Georgia last Wednesday has prompted a broader discussion around gun control in the United States.

This time, that conversation includes a familiar voice for college football fans.

In an appearance this week on WRUF in Gainesville, former Florida football coach and Heisman Trophy winner Steve Spurrier spoke out against the sale of AR-15s, the same style of weapon used by the shooter in Georgia and in many other mass shootings in recent years.

Steve Spurrier decries sale of AR-15s after Georgia school shooting

Spurrier was always a good man

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

He stated the case wonderfully!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    “Old man suggests you should get a six-shooter to protect yourself” is at least an interesting change from the normal “old man suggests protecting yourself with a double barrel shotgun” take.

Of course I’m not an 1870s Arizona Ranger riding into the town of Agua Fria to bring in Texas Red, so you’ll excuse me if I don’t take either of those pieces of unsolicited advice.

• Dislike x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Spurrier is right. Definitely not a person I'd expect to say this. I'm sure the gun nuts won't appreciate it, but there's no need for people to have AR-15s.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I wonder if and when the OP gets moved to THFSG. I hope it doesn’t.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So you need an AR-15 to defend yourself?

Also good to know you view SOS as nothing more than “old man”.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    It’s not something I’m going to carry to defend myself while I’m out and about, but yes, my home defense gun is 100% a rifle (mine personally actually isn’t an AR, but it’s another rifle that would be covered by essentially any assault rifle ban ever proposed).

And for purposes of a gun discussion? Yeah, he might as well be any other random old man. Nothing about him suggests any particular qualifications to offer an opinion about what kind of gun someone “needs” that should be entitled to any weight. But if that offends you, I will also assure you that I don’t care at all what a famous painter, or guitar god, or celebrity chef think about what kind of gun someone “needs” either.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    • Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Come On Man x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So why do you feel you need an assault style rifle (or whatever we want to call it) to defend youself? I’m just curious.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You’re not wrong, but I bet you wouldn’t have this same energy if he spoke on a topic important to you in a favorable viewpoint.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Easier to shoot accurately quickly than a handgun, and just better suited for home defense. If you want to run a light and suppressor (both of which are pretty good ideas, assuming you’re willing to learn to use them, if you’re designing a platform around possibly having to shoot it in your house at night), you’re going to be hard pressed to find platforms that can accommodate those things as well as “assault weapons.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It is an odd statement. First people offer opinions for which they have varying qualifications all the time, including on this board.

Two, it conveniently limits the debate participants to those who are experts and owners of such weapons. People like me aren’t allowed to participate and the fact that our kids in school could get killed by one is apparently not a high enough bar for me to offer an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    Never know when you'll need to stand guard at the top of the stairs with your AR-15. It could be the neighbors drunk teenager stumbled into the wrong house, and you need to blast him.

Or some naughty neighborhood kids could be egging your house mistakenly, instead of a classmates, and you could need to light them up while in a rage.

Your point is well taken; there's very few times when a homeowner would have the time and means to get to an AR-15 and appropriately use it, at least better than a more accessible handgun.......but there's that infinitesimal possibility that, well, you may find yourself in a war or something, and a handgun just won't do. Yes, those events are multiples less likely than that the gun would be stolen or otherwise misused, whether by choice or by accident.

But we can't take that chance. These guns need to be allowed to be proliferate. People need to die - kids need to die, and do lockdown drills- just in case there's ever that one-in-a-million time where a home owner needs an AR-15 to defend themself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    He is, like anyone else, welcome to have whatever thoughts on it he wants. I’m just not real clear why anyone would care what Steve Spurrier’s opinion is as to what kind of gun is sufficient to protect yourself.

• Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Do you think there is a balance between the level of theoretical incremental benefit of a weapon vs the harm they can bring to society? How many kids should die to make people like yourself a bit more comfortable so that you can shoot with your suppressor - god forbid we disturb anybody when we are killing home intruders.

If a gun were developed that could easily kill 20 people in a few seconds, but might give you marginally more protection at home - should that be legal too?

It’s really sad that people like yourself live in such a level of fear that you think you need that level of protection.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Don’t feel bad… I’m a Soldier who has carried that weapon in Afghanistan and even I have been told I’m wrong about the AR-15 by people here. I’ve been shooting it for 25 years in a professional capacity. Most notably they try to tell me the AR-15 isn’t a combat weapon like the M4 because it’s not fully automatic… even though I explain to them that the M4 wasn’t fully auto until well after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were in the stability phases. The wars were fought with M4’s in semi-auto mode.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Steve Spurrier is probably more capable on a littany of issues than Donald Trump. We elected a reality TV star as president. A football coach can’t have a valid opinion?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So can you think of a plausible scenario where an AR-15 provides materially more home protection?

19. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    To the majority of people in our country, it's not that he is contributing a decisive opinion - because they are intelligent enough to know that the facts are in and the case is closed; proliferation of weapons of war in America is an absurdity and a grotesquery that makes us collectively far less safe. So it's not that he's added heft to either side of a debate. The issue is pretty much clear and solved.

The relevance of his statement is the positive value of a well known and highly respected person getting off the fence and taking the time and effort and risk to say something that might make America a better place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I want a suppressor to limit the hearing damage I’m causing to myself if I have to shoot inside, not to avoid disturbing others (a suppressed gun - other than a .22 - is still quite loud, the way they’re portrayed in TV shows and movies isn’t realistic).

I personally think the 1986 machine gun ban should be overturned, so I may not be the best person to ask that question of.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1