Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Step Up Basis Changes - More Libbie BS

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Orange_and_Bluke, Jul 26, 2023.

1. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Was gonna respond but I see others already have and done a good job of it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. magnetofsnatch

magnetofsnatch Rudy Ray Moore’s Idol Premium Member

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    My reply was to the posters comment that it isn’t “fair” that earnings are taxed at a higher rate than LTCGs and dividend income. So if someone, like you just stated you did, saves and grows a portfolio to a point where he/she can live off the dividends then that should be punished? Isn’t that what retirement is?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Nope. How would you be punished by paying the same marginal tax rate as the 9-5 working folks? Capital gains/qualified dividend rates don't apply just to retirees anyway.
    By the way, I'm retired and the current lower capital gains/dividend rates actually benefit me, so this is not a self interest post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    So you’re more trusting of the govt with your money than most rational people.
    Mistake.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    Unless you are retired and make over 250k a year (assuming you are married) then you already pay near zero for qualified dividends and long term cap gains. So yeah I get it isn’t a self interest post.

6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    So your clueless as to my post. Got it.

7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Well I know the tax rules, that's not the point.

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's what communists say...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Nope. You’re for more taxes. You love and trust the govt with your money.
    You want others to trust the govt with more tax money when we all know it will be wasted.

10. magnetofsnatch

Apr 10, 2020
    North Florida
    What’s your point? That everyone should pay ordinary income tax rates on dividends and long term cap gains?

11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Wrong. Nobody likes paying taxes but I'm not whining about it l I just think the system could be more equitable. You disagree, fine. For me, it's not so much the tax but how it's spent.

I don't necessarily trust the gov with my money, but I'm not walking around asking for gov services and expecting somebody else to pay for them. Secondly, and indirectly related, I realize there are others in the system less fortunate than me who deserve a helping hand. It's not just about me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rocinante

Rocinante Junior

May 28, 2013
    Please explain why that income should be excluded from your taxable income. All estates must file a final tax return. Your stocks; bonds and other capital would be taxed based on current market value less what you paid; why is real estate special. It’s already benefiting from a reduced tax rate on long term gains. We discussed the issue of Cap gains lower rates in tax policy at UF. It’s a very unfair tax benefit. If it’s bought through an IRA or 401k; it’s bought with untaxed money snd gets a deferred income benefit over time. All income should be taxed at same rate. Brain capital is taxed at highest rate; money capital is taxed at a lesser rate. Income is income. We screw the folks making income with sweat and treat the couch income different. I know about the effect that may have on investment markets; this is a pure tax fairness discussion.

If treated as w2; sweat income, somewhat equivalent to the reduced rates on interest and cap gains. We would let the doctor take a depreciation deduction on all the costs incurred to make him/her a doc. If they really wanted to get aggressive they could even include lost income; opportunity cost; while going to college. I can’t think of a place, opportunity costs, are ever considered in the tax code. Same with all college. The guy who goes to a factory; deductions for his travel to work costs, clothing, child care( already do somewhat), lunch etc.