Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Spring Transfer Portal 4/15 - 4/30. Could be Chaos:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Donzo, Apr 7, 2024.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Yes but losing key playes to simply more money, especially after the progress and buildup of the roster, staff, chemistry, etc. would be the definite end of anything recognizable in my book.

Etienne had that feel but after reflecting and knowing his family's mindset and control over him, he's likely an outlier. Everyone else who has left needed to, for them and for us.

2. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    No penalties. And if agents are making deals is it tampering?

3. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I fail to understand why there have to be 2 portal windows!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Kpgogators

Kpgogators Soli Deo Gloria VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    N. Texas
    Not that I'm saying anything that hasn't already been said 100, but this is ruining college football for the fans. I'm once again struck with the silliness of the NIL and the Portal as i read this thread.

I know some "fans" are oblivious to what happens behind the scenes and don't really get too involved with rosters, etc.. But, to fans like me that bleed orange and blue it's killing my love for college sports slowly and agonizingly, particularly football.

I mean, I'm alumni, so I really do consider myself a diehard. When I was at UF...I didn't miss a home game unless absolutely necessary, which was rare. Even went to quite a few away games. After being a student, I continued going to games with my Dad, taking my wife and when we started having kids...taking them as well.

But, part of the experience was knowing about the players, seeing them develop, seeing them love their team and university as much as we do. Being able to talk about the players with family and friends. My kids wearing Tebow jerseys and other players jerseys. My kids choosing their own jersey numbers based on favorite UF players.

Those days are seemingly gone. And, as they go away, the same ferocity for me as a diehard is waning. I hate it, but this diehard is dying a slow, painful death as a Gator fan.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    so it’s all legal tampering that’s happening

6. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree completely. Give the players one month to transfer, period. That allows rosters to stabilize and coaches to get on with the business of developing a team. It also keeps students from undercutting their education by transferring at random points in the semester, like a week after classes begin.

• Like Like x 5
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Anybody heard anything about any Gators that are likely to transfer? I'm sure there will be some for almost every school because that's what has been allowed to be created. But, is there any reasonable information out there about our guys? If not, this topic seems like a nothing burger at this point.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m sure our coaches know of kids moving on or coming in but we will only know when it happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

It appears that the student athlete has to be registered in the portal before another school and contact him.
    "Under the then Aug. 28, 2023 NCAA portal rules: coaches are not allowed to contact you until after you have entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, so if you receive contact before then, it could be a violation."

As for a player having contact with a NIL agent; I am not sure if the student athlete has to be registered in the Portal to talk to a NIL agent. It would be wise for any player to talk to an agent to see if he/she should test the waters before jumping.

Also, a new set of rules as of Jan. 10, 2024 was released: "NCAA DI Council is the creation of a new voluntary portal for NIL service providers. This new NCAA-sponsored portal will include agents, financial advisors, and anyone else who provides NIL-related services to student-athletes. Student-athletes will then be able to review those who register with the NCAA portal." This new set of rules goes into effect Aug. 1, 2024 (this year).

Note the bolded title in the above paragraph. Voluntary implies to me, that a college player can still choose their own NIL agent (as long as they meet the requirement for the state they are in).

Another item here that adds to the confusion over the rules. The state, the colleges, and the particular sports, can have their own set of rules covering NIL's.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It's bigtime for me. Watching guys develop, bond, and excel. Games and season are another level but a whole other thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I totally agree but isnt there a level of “free agency” type excitement now as well?
    I’m super stoked about Turner and Douglas and Dike and Montrell and watching what they can do… I’m super excited watching where kids land and where they will fit in.

free agency is its OWN BRAND for NBA and NFL and hasn’t killed the excitement there at all… quite the opposite.
    So while I think it’s sad kids aren’t “gators” and have no frame of reference or history…. It doesn’t kill my love for the sport. I’m sad kids now don’t know who The Ramones or Tribe called quest are but it doesn’t kill my love for those artists or new music either. How Graham Mertz or Trevor Etienne feel about their schools or if they know the fight song has nothing to do with me or how hard they will play

12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I know some people love the trades and change. But not for me. It's why I gave up the NFL a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Anyone that compares NFL free agency, with all of the multitude of rules that goes along with that, to NIL doesn't understand either.

There are many, many rules in professional sports over such things as the dollars, who can be traded, who can't, salary caps, etc., etc. NFL, NBA, and MLB players can't just bolt whenever someone offers more money.

There are zero rules governing NIL, which is why it is trashing college sports.

I would suggest you lay off the gainesville green if you think that what college athletics is doing with NIL now is comparable to professional sports.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. G8rmann

G8rmann VIP Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Makes me think he knows of some bombshells that will soon go off.

15. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am trying to believe our players are bought-in, on-board, and bleed orange and blue. Does Josh Pate know something we do not?

Double ???

16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been under the impression Pate is a national guy casting on what he sees as relevant, interesting, and for which he has enough information to be credible. I only watch his take when someone posts a link. If he a UF guy, UF primarily?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    Like Finebaum

18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I DO believe that.

But if you have your girlfriend, mother, father, brother, sister, uncle, cousin and agent in your ear telling you to take the money..... you might.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He said it came directly from a coach .

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m pretty damn loyal but enough money and we can all be bought. ETN though to Georgia? He’s either a douchbag, ( my guess) or they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

• Like Like x 1