Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Spring Practice Reports

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by Gatorgal04, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    ^^^^
    "Daddy, Daddy, I can't feel my nose!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Date Practice Scrimmage Pitchers

Tuesday, Jan. 30 2:30 PM 4:30 PM Fisher, Gomberg, Purnell, Satin

Wednesday, Jan. 31 2:30 PM 3:45 PM Caglianone, Clemente, Jameson, Neely, Peterson, Philpott

Thursday, Feb. 1 2:30 PM 4:00 PM Jones, McNeillie, Menendez, Slater, Smith, Witmer

Friday, Feb. 2 2:30 PM NONE N/A

Saturday, Feb. 3 10:00 AM 12:30 PM Jameson, Jones, Purnell, Satin

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Ty not participating in any drills again. Different injury than what he was dealing with in the fall though. Looks like his right hand has a brace on it. Not doing any throwing/catching.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    ^^^Slater hit him on the hand first at bat on Saturday and he left the game. Hopefully it’s not serious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Someone just told me that. I saw him get hit, but didn’t know who it was. Had my nieces with me so wasn’t able to pay very close attention.

Probably just one of them small bones in the hand, or even just a deep bruise. Either way, probably gonna keep him out of practice for a couple weeks, which means he missed all of fall and most of spring. Sucks for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Any feedback on Gomberg from today???

7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    123 inning for satin and fisher so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  8. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Shelly with a single, Donay k’d and, Tanner hit into a dp for Cade’s second inning.

Yost walked, guy k’d, martinez singled, brookins k’d, yost thrown out stealing home for satin’s second inning.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Cade still on the bump, wilson singled, mummau out, missed what happened, mikey flied out, dale walked, shelton singled ( probably an e on 3b), shelly bases loaded grounds out. 3 lob

Purnell on the bump, albert singled, cade out on fc, jac grounds out, luke grounds out, 1 lob

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  10. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Gomberg on the bump, donay k’d, tanner singled, wilson k’d, mummau ground out. 1 lob

purnell on the bump, yost singles, bad throw from shelton, guy flys out, martinez grounds out, brookins grounds out, 1 lob

11. burley

burley Junior

May 27, 2007
    Wednesday's scrimmage (6 innings starting in the 3rd inning) did not go well for the Orange team. Jac started for the Orange and gave up 4 runs, 5 hits one base on balls in the first inning. Second inning also did not go well either with two more runs.

The third inning saw Clemente come in and give up 3 runs starting with a HR by right fielder #16 Hayden Yost. The batting order went like this: #26 Tanner Garrison (catcher) single. LF #24 Brookins walked. #44 Albert hit by pitch. #5 Mummau RBI single. CF #50 Guy hit by pitch. Coach then called "Enough is enough" and the inning was over.

The Orange team did not score until the bottom of the 8th.

Starting pitcher for Blue was #12 Liam Peterson, freshman from Palm Harbor. He pitcher three innings. No hits, no runs, 4 strikeouts, one base on balls (walk). #34 Philpott pitched one inning, three up, three down with two third to first and a first to pitcher. #22 Neely finished the game (2 innings) giving up 3 hits, one run with 4 strikeouts.

Final score: Blue 10, Orange 1.

Hitting highlights: Not much for Orange with 3 hits.
    Blue had 16 hits, 10 runs, 3 strikeouts. Home runs by Garrison and Yost.

Lineups: No DH for either team.
    Blue:
    CF Guy
    3rd Thomas
    C/1st Heyman
    RF Yost
    3rd/C Garrison
    LF Brookins
    SS Albert
    2nd Mummau

Orange:
    CF Robertson
    2nd Kurland
    P Caglianone
    SS Shelton
    3rd/LF Shelnut
    C/1st Donay
    3rd/RF Martinez
    3rd/1st Wilson

The weather got the fans ready for opening night February 16th by being brisk and windy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    @outbackjack what's with the Come On Man rating from my comment on the first page?

13. burley

burley Junior

May 27, 2007
    Coach at mound.jpg

Practice Saturday February 3.
    Here's something you don't see often. That's Coach O'Sullivan sitting behind the pitchers screen during the scrimmage. Occasionally he'd give instructions to a pitcher.

It was a four inning scrimmage which began at 12:24 pm and ended at 1:10 pm. Reason? only one run, for hits.

Blue was visitors with this lineup:
    #11 Robertson CF
    #4 Kurland 2B
    #14 Caglianone 1B
    #6 Shelnut LF
    #29 Donay C
    #23 Martinez 3B
    #30 Wilson RF
    #44 Albert SS

Orange lineup:
    #50 Guy CF
    #10 Shelton SS
    #28 Heyman C
    #1 Thomas 3B
    #16 Yost RF
    #26 Garrison 1B
    #24 Brookins LF
    # 5 Mummau 2B

NO DH's. Ty Evans was not in the lineup.

Starting pitcher for Orange #33 Robert Satin LHP (three innings). Pitched three innings with zero K's, 4 hits, 1 walk and a hit batsman who scored in the second inning.

First inning for Blue was SS - 1B, Single, Double play SS-2B-1B. (6-4-3).

Second Blue inning started with Shelnut Hit by Pitch, stole second on a wild throw by catcher Heyman. Shelnut scores on a double by Donay. That ended the scoring for the game.

Best play in that inning and game was CF Guy catching a deep fly ball and throwing out Wilson who was on second and tried to make third. It was a line drive throw that was on the bag.

Starting pitcher for Blue was #34 Alex Philpott.
    Philpott went three innings 0 runs, 0 hits, four strikeouts, 0 walks.

#41 Blake Purnell pitched the final inning 3 up, 3 down with one K.

Orange reliever #17 Jacob Gomberg LHP 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 K.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    That's two or more good appearances in a row for Philpott. Thinking he is moving up Sully's radar as a mid week starter and mid reliever. I'll scan everyone's notes to see his other spring appearance. That kid is skinnier than Coppola.

Donay has two key RBIs this last week. Maybe its time to give him more consideration as the DH.

• Like Like x 4
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I’m as much for Coppola as anyone here but until we start seeing and getting duplicated outings from him with positive feedbacks I think we’re going to have to count on other options.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I think going forward this season anyone who mentions Coppola gets a Sound of Music nun until his return...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Philpott coming on is excellent news as he has not been on my radar. Haven't seen him pitch in Fall or Spring but reviewing his scouting report, looks promising as a contributor this year. Satin continues to get a long look from Sully (he is a LHP, strike thrower) and Sully is eager to have a middle relief LHP he can count on to throw strikes- so circle Satin. Menendez and Gomberg as well but Satin has more innings under his belt in scrimmages. Would not be surprised if Satin (who has started several scrimmages) gets a mid-week start in pre-season. All speculative at this point. Hope to get out to the Park later this week.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Here's a vague injury report, Landon Russell had a bulky bandage on one arm- left? Another OF prospect unavailable for who knows how long. Jones, Albert and Mummau all played LF in the last few scrimmages. Russell had an Ace wrap, rather than a plastic brace, that completely covered his hand. I definitely want him to be an option this season. Anyone have any info?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  19. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I hope to come up on Tuesday but I'm still waiting for the practice schedule to come out. Have you seen anything?

20. burley

burley Junior

May 27, 2007
    Practice schedule should come out this afternoon.