Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sorry Desantis, but I think Disney may have gotten the last laugh

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Mar 29, 2023.

1. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    IIRC that was Kirkland & Ellis. Very heavy hitters

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    K&E is an outstanding law firm. I have been on the opposite side of K&E on a boatload of M&A transactions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    In a civil suit, Disney will file constitutional defenses and a counterclaim.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Ashley Moodey issues a demand for documents concerning this. Communications regarding circumventing the legislature etc. If I was Disney, I would tell her to issue a criminal investigation subpoena or just tell her no. This is going to be fun, because what exactly was the old board and Disney trying to circumvent? The retaliatory actins by the new Board if it doesn’t line Disney’s “woke” behavior? That the new Board can’t tell Disney to stop being open to The people they hate or they won’t approve development? That they can’t force Disney to pay the bond debt itself?

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  6. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To begin with, the new law regarding the district was an extreme abridgement of Disney's free speech rights, given that it was punishment by the government for Disney's publicly disagreeing with state policy. It was a textbook case of a violation of Disney's free speech rights.

Disney could have sued on that basis and eventually won, but that would have been a year's long effort at great expense, so what they did was to give themselves almost all of the same powers as before, but without going through what would have been a comparatively complicated process.

What DeSantis and the legislature did was to abuse the power of the government that they helmed. They showed their stripes as people who don't give a damn about constitutional rights, and by doing so, clearly showed fascist leanings. Yes...fascist leanings...using your power in government to penalize those who disagree with you is clearly a fascist move.

Before you get outraged at that statement, simply ask yourself how a governor and legislature that uses the power of government to punish those who disagree with them is NOT a fascist move. You can't, though, because it clearly IS a fascist move under any definition of the term. THAT'S why free speech was included in the Bill of Rights!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ashley Moody, like Pam Bondi before her, have been such disappointments. They are both Gators from Tampa (Ashley...Plant City), by the way. In fact, Pam broke her leg when posing with Alberta at a Gator game and Alberta was knocked into her. Ashley is extremely bright, but very thin on experience. When Ashley was elected to be a circuit court judge, she barely met the minimum years of practice requirements. Her first assignment was on the juvenile bench. She would take frequent recesses during hearings when legal issues popped up and leave the courtroom for her chambers. The rumor was she was either looking things up quickly or calling her dad, a local federal district judge, for help. I know them both and voted for each of them....once.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sohogator

Sohogator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 22, 2012
    I knew Bondi from the party days in Tampa never met her but she was always there . Hot(ish). Partook heavily on occasion but not drugs as far as I know. Turned out to be a real disappointment. Still see her occasionally at TYCC

9. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    upload_2023-4-2_10-51-36.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    What’s redder than Fire Engine Red ?

Answer: Florida

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    What is her legal standing to demand documents? Is she making the demand under FOIA? Wouldn’t she have access to these same documents under the control of her now-taken-over Reedy Creek?

12. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Desantis' face after fell after getting the call from his new board

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Probably off-topic for this thread I don't think Pam Bondi did anything to distinguish herself when she was among the attorneys representing Trump at his impeachment trial. Maybe it's just me but she seem to come across as just another MAGA party hack kind of like Jim Jordan.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I can be sympathetic to taking recesses. At least she's making the effort to get it right instead of not caring about what the right answer is and just doing what she wants. But yeah, she's been a terrible AG.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It is an autocratic and dictator-like move. Not fascist. Communists do the same.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There are 5 communist countries in the world right now. Most or all of them seem to be fascist countries that call themselves communist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Disney Chief Bob Iger calls Gov. DeSantis' actions 'anti-business and anti-Florida' — Los Angeles Times

A company has a right to freedom of speech just like individuals do," Iger said during Monday's meeting, acknowledging that DeSantis "got very angry about the position Disney took."

It seems like he's decided to retaliate against us, including the naming of a new board to oversee the property and the business, in effect to seek to punish a company for its exercise of a constitutional right," Iger said. "That just seems really wrong to me."

Our point on this is that any action that thwarts those efforts simply to retaliate for a position the company took sounds not just anti-business, but it sounds anti- Florida," Iger said. "And I'll just leave it at that."

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Bob Iger calls Florida actions against Disney World 'anti-business' Same story not behind a paywall. That is what we call a “shot across the bow.” Disney mitigated the potential harm caused by the State. The fun is just beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They are communist dictatorships. You are misusing the term fascism. The Soviet Union engaged in these tactics but it was not fascist.