Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sorry Desantis, but I think Disney may have gotten the last laugh

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You know it’s bad when you have to agree with dangole.
    It just seems Ron wasn’t serious about running at a national level.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    He seems extremely clumsy with no savvy. He’d be an unmitigated disaster on foreign policy

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Marvel does all that stuff, but they meticulously plan everything out. The new SW trilogy was basically thrown together and didnt have a consistent vision, directors are writing. I thought the first one was pretty good, the second one had some interesting ideas, but they completely abandoned them in the third one, which was the worst of all of them. Star Wars' main problem is they just cant give up the Skywalker saga and all those characters. I liked Andor a lot, but I bet more people watched the dumber Boba Fett and Obi Wan shows, so I cant really fault them in riding the IP into the ground, because it seems like thats what a lot of people want.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Did you really have to bring that up? Almost put that out of my mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe he could just pass a law revoking China's national status and appoint some cronies to run it, how come no one has thought of that before

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    The thing is, not much would change in China.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Iger admitted in 2019 that they made too many Star Wars movies too quickly. They went for quantity over quality and Iger just said a month ago they have stepped away to make sure they are very careful in how they continue the theatrical releases so they get them right after Solo.

The expansion into the streaming TV shows on Disney+ have been big hits so that is probably where they will take the development from to improve the theatrical releases.

8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Interestingly Disney's biggest problem at its theme parks is overcrowding rather than lower attendance.
    Huge Crowds Force Disney World to Make Big Changes

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    5 years is 5 years. Not a good ROI on your investment over that time period. All I was saying. Every company has their own issues. Disney's run deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  11. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    No one has argued that, but if you look at your own chart, their stock price went from $99 in April 2019 to $197 in March 2021. It was slightly down or held steady through November 2021 when their earnings call had them show disappointing streaming subscriber numbers and then operating costs for their streaming turned into a huge burden months afterwards and they've been fighting it ever since. That is what you can pinpoint to in their stock problems and it's what Iger has been addressing for a few months now. YTD the stock is up 9%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    My first job out of college was as a project engineer/Scheduler for Tishman Construction who were the Construction Managers of the EPOCT Center project. They had just finished the World Trade Center and every graduating senior in the School of Building Construction wanted to work for either Tishman or Halliburton. I may have landed the top job in my senior class. That said I quit in less than 6 months because I couldn't deal with Disney execs. They do suck as far as I'm concerned.

The truth is although I didn't know it at the time, I was hired as a professional liar. It was my job to convince the Disney people we were right on schedule and under budget even though we weren't always. I was lying to people a whole lot smarter and more experienced than I was and getting caught at it....I couldn't take the pressure, some people are built for that, I wasn't. I broke down and cried all the way home that afternoon, it wasn't crying over losing my job it was crying because I felt the weight of the whole world was taken off my shoulders.

• Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  13. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Andor and Rogue One are the best things in the entire SW universe.

Come at me, bro

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Don’t me wrong, I have no problem with a female Jedi or a black storm trooper. It’s just the way they were depicted it was almost the point of the characters. But overall the whole effort seemed lame and like a production for children. I don’t know how much of that was seeing the originals as a kid and this one as an older adult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    I didn’t watch Andor (yet) but Rogue One was the last Star Wars thing I really liked. Mandalorian Season 1 is the last thing I watched. It was ok.

17. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you liked Rogue One you'll almost assuredly really like Andor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Having a bad job at that age is pretty traumatic. I did one summer of auditing, and I absolutely hated it. Mainly because I had no idea what I was doing, although there were other negative aspects. At one point we were auditing a waste management site, I was doing payroll. We were set up in the employee break room, truck drivers and helpers. One came in and started asking me how much Billy Bob makes. But the worst was this dirty disheveled guy, straight off the truck, came up to me and said “I wouldn’t want to be doing what you are doing”.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While Disney management may or may not have problems today, I'm not sure how relevant your experience in the late '70s/early '80s is applicable to Disney today.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1