Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Sorry Desantis, but I think Disney may have gotten the last laugh

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8tas, Mar 29, 2023.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DeSantis's "team" is so disingenuous.

BTW, I was reasonably certain this is the case. Not because I am a Disney shill, thinking the company to be enlightened. They are creating housing out of pure self-interest.

They have had a problem with employee housing for years. They either own or operate the apartment complex just south of I-4 on the LBV exit. They recruit from colleges and even internationally via programs to meet personnel needs, and have to provide temporary housing to make it work. They have been adding capacity regularly for years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I dislike when the government chills political speech. Because I support the First Amendment. I don't care if private citizens are mean to you. That's called free speech. Sad that I have to explain this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    So you claim, but you don't care if political speech is chilled.

Because the First Amendment is only a weapon to be wielded by you, not against you.

Well tough, kick and scream all you want. More of this is coming and you have nobody to blame but yourself.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The some total of all of your posts in this forum is to fight/own the libs, and rationalize the actions of any political figure who also engages in this just cause. It doesn’t matter if what they are doing makes any sense, or whether it is conservative, liberal, authoritarian or what have you, it is all about beating the other side.

So you have a governor who has a vendetta against a large business business that employs thousands, brings in many millions of dollars (maybe billions?) to the state and is otherwise a very popular company, and said governor meddles in the affairs of the company in a petty cultural issue fight. Even Donald Trump of all people knows it is patently ridiculous and hypocritical, and certainly not conservative in any form or fashion. Yet, you, on cue, are here to defend it.

• Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Are you really this ignorant? The First Amendment protects you from the government, not from other private citizens being mean to you. Private citizens saying mean things to you is called FREE SPEECH.

What a clownish response. Go back to pooping on the chess board and strutting around, because this is embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yeah if the end result is the same, you don't value the principles of the First Amendment, you just like it as a punchline, a weapon.

And that's without even getting into the established point that you actually defend the government "chilling" free speech when they're doing it to the benefit of your agenda.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    "Well tough, kick and scream all you want. More of this is coming and you have nobody to blame but yourself."

8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007

9. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    And that's a bad thing, how?

Would you prefer he specifically taxed timeshares just to stick it to Disney?

This forum really can't seem to make up its mind on what it wants Republicans to do.

10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A gentleman does not kiss and tell.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is a First Amendment issue. But personally, I only resort to FA rhetorically when I am reminding myself why it is important to tolerate speech I find odious and distasteful.

In this case, the bill was hateful and odious, the Disney statement from Chapek came late after the bill was passed, was milquetoast (offensive mainly because it was inadequate) and followed extensive debate with significant opposition from numerous critics, none of whom were targeted with retaliation.

It was obvious the Governor wanted a fight with an opponent that was perceived as powerful, and one that his base hated for reasons unrelated to that statement (black Ariel, Splash Mountain, etc.). He has stated that he wants to force them to change their content, though it is unclear that will continue to be a goal. But the stated desire (more than once), to shape content is even more egregious, though not untypical for his base.

That makes his actions wrong for far beyond FA reasons, at least IMO

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    What is a gentleman?

What is a man?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The "principles of the First Amendment" protect my right to say unkind things to you in a political debate. They also protect your right to say unkind things to me in a political debate. They prohibit the government from punishing either of us for our political speech. The more you know.

L-O-L. I've sued Democratic politicians for First Amendment violations. Derp.

• Like Like x 1
  14. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    That is a totally ignorant quote. I can see why there was no link as it's pathetic. Disney can't pass laws, contributes more to Republicans, and does not dictate to Fl schools . This is simply more made up windmills for the culture warriors to tilt at with zero evidence or support.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    (Some SAEs should remember this.)
    "The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."
    John Walter Wayland (1899)

You, sir, have a LOT of work to do.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm aware that the First Amendment is a protection of people from the government. That's just where the power in the First Amendment is legally vested.

But all of the fears of the founders are realized just the same if speech is chilled just the same through methods I have highlighted.

People associate the problems of fascism with government because government is generally viewed (often-correctly) as the most powerful means of achieving those outcomes, but they can be achieved in other ways as well.

It may not be fascism as defined as a government system, but it is fascism in the sense that the same outcome is achieved.

Ohhh... and what were these First Amendment violations gator_lawyer? I thought Democrats aren't authoritarians. I thought DeSantis was doing this unprovoked.

This should be interesting.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    This is true. When did we stop thinking objectively and independently, and instead just nakedly adopt whatever argument and position advanced by the then-Party leader.

It’s why I’m proudly an Independent, and why I generally despise all three parties (Dems, Pubs and MAGA).

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think the timeshare business should be taxed into oblivion personally, but I posted this more to point out how politics works. Like all scam-y businesses (usually involving multilevel marketing), time shares are a big right-wing constituency, see the Westgate Resorts guy, and Disney is in the business too (which is why they consistently donate to Republicans). You cant pursue a right-wing agenda without also rewarding corporations, even the ones you are in supposed conflict with. Instead, you get mad a token PR efforts of these corporations to appear like they arent completely about their own bottom line and love to line the pockets of bigots in politics who'd gladly execute trans people if they could. I cant speak for anyone else, but I've never once thought Disney was on "my" side of anything, like literally every corporation in America basically.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. GatorJMDZ

Apr 3, 2007
    Please don't pretend to speak for Christians. You represent (thankfully) only a small segment and not one I would chose to be associated with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Perhaps if DeS would actually address some "real" issues instead of imaginary, peripheral ones. Has anyone read of complaints about timeshare taxes. How about home owner's insurance, affordable housing, or car insurance? Odd that I see this the majority of the board looking at those issues but you don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1