Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Tallahassee Democrat Sports notes

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Mar 22, 2023.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Tallahassee Democrat Sports notes
    Florida State baseball blew an early four-run lead in their rivalry game against Florida Tuesday at Dick Howser Stadium.
    The No. 3 Gators (19-4) rallied for five runs in the top of the eight to take their first lead of the game and collect the 9-5 victory before a sold-out crowd of 6,384.
    The Seminoles (12-9) led 5-1 entering the top of the fifth. However, they allowed UF to score at least a run from the fifth to seventh innings before the offensive implosion in the eighth.
    Josh Rivera provided the biggest blow in the eighth with a two-run single.
    Jac Caglianone was 4-for-5 with a double and three RBI for Florida.
    Philip Abner collected the victory for the Gators, allowing two hits in 2 ⅓ scoreless innings and collecting six strikeouts.
    FSU starting pitcher Ben Barrett allowed one run on four hits but picked up the no-decision as the bullpen allowed the Gators to score eight runs. Jamie Arnold collected the loss.

"These guys came to compete in games like this. They wanted to do it and the loss was very difficult," FSU coach Link Jarrett said.
    The Gators have won 20 of their last 24 meetings against the Seminoles, including two out of three contests in 2022. FSU leads the all-time series 131-125-1.

"People ask me all the time what this game matters and when we play Miami, I mean, they're important," Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "They're important for our fans. A lot of our players know their players and there's always a little bit extra when we played in-state rivals. But I am really pleased with how we were able to overcome the first three innings and hang in there."

Making his second start of his collegiate career, Barrett did well taming the potent Gators’ lineup. He allowed one earned run on four hits to go along with two strikeouts in a career-high four innings.

It was Barrett’s first appearance since a relief outing since UCF on March 14 and his first start since he threw against Jacksonville Feb. 21.
    The Seminoles were able to get runners on base all game but failed to score runs with their opportunities. They left nine runners on base through seven innings.

UF starter Tyler Nesbit allowed four runs (three earned) on five hits in 3 ⅔ innings, walking one and striking out none.

Reliever Cade Fisher did not record an out, allowing one run with double and two walks in relief of Nesbit in the fourth.

Nick Ficarrotta, Abner and Brandon Neely combined for 5 ⅓ shutout innings in relief, striking out 10 hitters and allowing just four base runners.

"We started a little slow today," O'Sullivan said. "We haven't been on the road for quite some time, I thought maybe we got caught up a little bit and sped up a little, but we hung in there.

"Tyler threw the ball across the plate for us, only walked one. Then the three relievers came in and did a really nice job. Then Jac had three hits and was huge for us offensively."

• Like Like x 7
  2. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    They hates us cause they ain’t us.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    “before the offensive implosion in the eighth.”

I know journalism is at a low point, but really? That’s defensive implosion or offensive explosion.

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He has a undergrad degree, masters and PhD from fsu and is now teaching a course entitled "Proper Use of the English Languish".

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    More like a Tallahassee beat down exposition.

6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator privilege? Lol...

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's whichever way that makes the Gators look better. :D;)

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Well it is the Dallahassee Temocrat……

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. audiogatorjim

audiogatorjim GC Hall of Fame

Mar 15, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing when I read this. An 8th grader should be able to get this right - does F$U have a journalism school?

10. toprowgator

toprowgator GC Legend

Jun 24, 2019
    I believe nowadays a degree in journalism is acquired in conjunction with a political science degree.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Journalism is a Bachelor of Science degree, incidentally.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Boy has some high class larnin!
    If you graduate from F$U is that what is called a GED?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Any idea what they are saying now before they play us again???

14. 407king

407king VIP Member

Dec 8, 2018
    They're waiving a white flag already.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Don't know if they have a journalism school, but after more than 40 years of watching this rivalry (in all sports). they at least have a spin class for PR or damage control. Just sayin'......
    GO GATORS!!!!