Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Gems from My Guy Coach Billy Napier

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by murphree_hall, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Not true. I'd say DJ Lagway is an example of a solid commit. Never wavered from day 1. There are many others who were solid commits as well.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    If you were a solid commit and then you are no longer a solid commit, then you were never a solid commit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    It was a fraction of the number Mullen had …and you know this. Mullen was an awful recruiter before NIL and would be even worse now. The 2 are nowhere near comparable. It’s not even close. You should quit pretending like they are.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I like that and we don’t need players that are just going to transfer out. They want to get out the door get the hell out

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Absolutely. I totally understand taking the money because money is important. The thing I don’t like is committing in the first place. They should just stay out there and wait for the check

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    if they’re gonna leave it’s best to leave now. We don’t need an ETN where we train them for two years for somebody else to use them

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    This is not remotely a free market, never has been and never will be. The schools being the ultimate gate keepers of a restricted "market."

Money does indeed corrupt, as the money grew so did the corruption, and so long as the schools profit off all of this the corruption will remain.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think this is really lost as a lot in the hysteria. We got some great players.

I'm at the point where I'm going to just let things play out. I'm disappointed that we lost a lot from what we had committed a month ago. I'm happy DJ and LJ stuck. We have some really quality pieces. Billy is in the hot seat for sure.

Honestly, we gotta win some games. We gotta beat some teams we aren't supposed to... Like his first game. We are going to need DJ to be a guy kids flock to play with.

I can see a light, but it is a small light where everything has to stop going wrong and start going right.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Legend

Jun 10, 2015
    Is that you Dan Mullen?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm getting that Holy Ghost spirit tommyvee! Now if Napier would just sign J Smith, I would really get going.

11. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Our blue chip ratio last year was as high as it ever has been with the exception of the 2010 class, this class we just signed twice as many consensus 5 star recruits in this one class than our last coach did in his entire time here, and we had a 3rd but lost him at the end due to what he said on IG " he was locked in bit Texas came with a crazy amount of money"

We also just got the best QB we've has since Tebow commitment. There are things to complain about but complaining that we lost a 5 star and only ended up with 2 five stars even though we've had 3 losing seasons (2 under BN) is not one of them. If anything the level of talent he is signing despite the record(and coaching vacancies/changes) is pretty damn impressive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    A snippet of every coach at every school in his press conference on signing day…from the coach with the best class in the country to the coach with the worst …over the past 40 years…

“…we love the guys we signed…we love our class…”

expecting anything else? Not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Smith or Seaton or Mincey?

14. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I know I’ve never seen a tumble like that. I think it ranks as disappointing.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I think Mincey is our best shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    We ended up with a great class, regardless. Can’t sweat the fact that we had people flake out. Our class was too good to be true, so I’m not surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too good to be true for US. For Bama/Geogia, et all, it is too good and ACTUALLY true. No reason we shouldn't expect to hold on to our commited recruits like everyone else does. Love the kids we got, but barring a head coaching change, no team should lose over 1/3 of their class in the month before ESD.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good post, I think it’s how we finished losing quite a few at the 24th hour. BUT, if Billy wins next year we will be fine. Not many people talk about it, but if Jaydon Hill comes back next year it’s a big deal. Jason Marshall coming back is a big deal. Even though he’s under performed. He has super high ceiling. If we can somehow keep Devin Moore healthy, look out!!!
    we have the opportunity for a big year with just a few more portal, additions, namely, a big time receiver. Right now we’ve done at least a B+ job in the portal. Somehow, if we can add Mincy, another high school recruit and four more quality portal guys, I’d say we are in really good shape.
    Not many people talk about Searcy and Collins but the two of them together will at least equal Princely’s numbers from this year if not better. Both of those those guys are starter quality and big-time players. We aren’t that far away

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Where is that written in the rule book?

20. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez Junior

Nov 29, 2016
    Bingo
    Very important point. Our quality indeed puts us at 9. No doubt we are amassing talent. Now I hope it translates into Ws. Then Billy will be off and running. People keep talking about the schedule but there is no reason we can’t get to 7/8 wins next year. Those younguns now have experience. I’m pulling hard for Billy.

“Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born.”

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.