Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Gems from My Guy Coach Billy Napier

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by murphree_hall, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Yep. Might be different if this coaching staff had demonstrated some "do more with less" ability. But over the course of two losing seasons the refrain has been "wait until he loads the cupboards." This isn't loading the cupboards.

Let's face it, even highly ranked recruits are no guarantee, some shine, some merely work out, and some wash out. A handful of five stars is a risky proposition, especially if they are hamstrung by an overall weak team. We didn't even sniff the top ten. Be honest and accept that is a problem.

Napier had better work some miracles in the portal or next season is going to be long and disappointing. With nothing to stop any of those "fewer" top recruits from jumping ship in a year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Some were pretty solid like Filsaime. He wanted to be a Gator, but couldn’t turn down that Texas offer. Ultimately, Texas and Auburn outbid us for these guys down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Crusher, the admin may push the ejection button on Napier next year, irregardless, I am not going to pile on. It seems he will at least start the 24 season as the head coach. I prefer to support the program and coach going forward.

While I fully understand we are not FSU, their fan base was ready to eject Norvell after season 2 and look what happened.

I know this is a message board and if posters prefer to hammer on the negative, so be it, I will not be one of them.

2024 will be a new team and a new season. Of course some believe that Napier is here no matter what, until 25. I am not so sure that is true.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts, even when they present the hard realities that they do. It's all good.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    It was money. He was on Instagram with DJ and LJ and said he wants to be a Gator but it was a business decision. DJ said he was looking forward to running him over or something to that effect.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Napier is not getting let go next year absent some sort of off field scandal. 2025 is a different story. The problem for him is momentum. If he doesn't generate some quality wins next season then this recruiting class could be a high water mark.

Even worse his replacement doesn't inherit that "loaded cupboard" that people like to imagine he would.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

So true. Yet so many on here have no value for that because it doesn’t give them a better number to brag about. They trash our coaches mercilessly for failing to live up to their childish expectations. They all suck.

We landed 5* QB Lagway, 5* Edge McCray, 4* RB Baugh, 2 stud LB, 5 badly needed OL, including Westphal, replaced the Filsaime flip with a safety who’s highly ranked, heavier, taller, snd 2 years more experienced— and held this all together in the face of a 5 game losing streak, and desperate 11th-hour NIL bags from rivals including scumbags who use churches to cheat. Damn fine job Coach Napier and staff. Now go work the portal some more.

Screw the trolls.

Go Gators.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Well, this is the wonderful new reality that was sold to all of us as: "Let players sell a few T - Shirts for pizza money" ........LMAO.

Nor do I blame kids for gaining financial advantage when the opportunity presents itself. Interestingly, the way I see it, this deal was implemented
    because the NCAA was totally inept and corrupt about doaling out fair and equitable judgements against cheating institutions.
    While some players do have allegiance to a University, or have rich parents and are not in need of money, I tend to agree with many pundits that
    keep repeating "It's all about the money". Does anybody know what Lagways NIL check is for btw? Posters (such as myself) need to come to terms with the fact that - "The old college try and love for University" is a dead and gutted fish, discarded in the trash can, a concept forever banished to the dust bin of history.

Perhaps if the NCAA was run by resonable people, that actually enforced the rules fairly, then amatuer football could have remained viable.

With absolutely no proof, nor interest in aquiring it, my assumption was/is that the financial pressures exerted by the TV manipulators, very rich boosters, University Presidents and public opinion, certain programs were "bullet-proof" from penalties associated with cheating, while others most certainly were not.

This is called corruption.

So the people in their wisdom, that run the show of College football, destroyed the bowl system, (For cripes sake, unless it's the playoffs, the good players don't even participate in bowls anymore.)

They destroyed the existing conference system.

They destroyed any attempt at regulating a fair and equitable playing field for most institutions that field a team.

They have created a semi-pro system with unregulated Free Agency. Hell, they are doing it in High School now. See IMG and alll the rest.

For those that think "The Free Market" is the answer for everything, take a good hard look at what has become of College Football. It still upsets me that the NIL was not set up to compensate players, with the same amount of money, across the board. But NOOOOO.....pay a few 5 stars MILLIONS and give everyone else peanuts. These are kids we are talking about. No one will ever convince me that the unequal and outlandish income distribution does not create locker-room dissention. Especially if the 5 star is a BUST.

And here is the irony, there seems to be noise about pumping the "NEW" NCAA chock full of new rules and regulations to "Control the Market".
    You know, the very institution that could not be fair and could not control the amatuer game. SMH

Now, if UF was going 12-0 and hitting the SEC championship and playoffs would I keep my mouth shut...............yeah, probably but we college
    football fans really are a bunch of hypocrites now aren't we. Perhaps we got the system that we are deserving of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sure...and Napier has had the same thing happen with signee never making it to campus. There are few situations in college football that are completely comparable, however the net result is the net result.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Beyond all three.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    But we were the first, and to my knowledge still the only fanbase to start a “fire the coach” website before the coach’s plane had even landed in town.

We also have a large contingent of fans who think recruiting is an immediate cure. 14 Freshmen on the field each game is supposed to mean 9-10 wins. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Mullen’s biggest failure (of many) is not taking advantage of locking down the state while FSU and Miami were down. Spurrier would have, Zook and Meyer would have thought is was Christmas 365 days/year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I've made my position pretty clear.....no coach outside of egregious off-field missteps should ever be let go with less than 3 years tenure. I see no circumstance that should call for Coach Napier's removal prior to next year.

That being said, I see precious few signs that he will be able to turn it around in time to avoid such a fate somewhere down the line. I guess the one thing we can hang our hat on is that a transcendental type QB can really carry a team to results far above their average talent level (Pats have been pretty average post Brady). I hope that Lagway is that player, and I hope that Napier will be able to cobble together enough positive results to be able to survive to get to enjoy those fruits if they come to pass.

I hope you and yours also have a wonderful holiday. Unfortunately I have to work most of it, but I'll still enjoy getting to visit with family!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Someone needs to get out from behind their keyboard and go to some games. This year was the most athletic defense we have had since 2018. They were very young and raw, but extremely talented. They will be excellent for 2-3 more years.

Mullen’s classes were very imbalanced and often didn’t fill needs. That’s why he left us with a weak OL, no receivers ready to play, and running backs immediately passed up by a freshmen and a transfer from Louisiana.

I don’t think that we really need to discuss that stellar defensive talent that he and Grantham left us do we?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Hopefully the work lightens up so you can get an extra day or two off. Make the most of that family time. That’s what it’s all about.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    this one is still a gem from warchant

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

And,,,,, our average player rating places us at 9.

There’s room for transfers.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HankTheMightyGator

HankTheMightyGator GC Hall of Famer

Apr 3, 2007
    Napier may not have ended up with the full house he wanted, rather than two pair, but Aces and Eights is still a good hand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    It is, unless you're sitting at a saloon in Deadwood, SD with your back to the door! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. HankTheMightyGator

HankTheMightyGator GC Hall of Famer

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess your jokes have to be on the nose with this crowd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.