Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Gems from My Guy Coach Billy Napier

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by murphree_hall, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    That was one hostile press conference. He was super defensive. No bueno!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
  2. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    That's one dramatic forum post. Way overstated the "hostility" of the press conference. No bueno!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Exaggeration.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Go back and count. Using this metric we’re 9th. It’s great to use when reloading but when you’re in need of players to fill out the roster with high performers it only tells part of the story. We desperately needed those recruits that flew the coop.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Filsaime went on and on the last month about how solid he was, guess a man’s words mean little in the era of NIL or he didn’t like something else all of a sudden..?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Seems that way, and according to the Mullen haters he didn’t even recruit!

7. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Hey, as long as we had a better day than FIU then I am okay with it.

Um, we DID do better than FIU, didn't we???

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah Mullen killed it with those "top ten" classes...

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Senior

Nov 9, 2019
    Napier has to show improvement. The team did improve this year, but the lack of a good D made it hard to translate to wins. Go crazy in the portal and get some players in.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    What is missing is the counter flip. Why is it we have 6 guys flip to other schools at the last minute but don't have any long time commits flipping to us at the last minute?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  11. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent

Which is right where our spending is when it comes to recruiting. And I don’t mean NIL. That’s hard to quantify as the collective is fluid. I mean, the recruiting budget…. Middle of the pack. overall- I like this class and the portal moves and if you factor in - 5 straight losses to end the season and all the cluster—- that was the on field product, the end of season firings… it’s actually remarkable that they hung onto who they did.

the only way to get top 5 classes is 1. Win
    2. Have Bull gators pony up the kind of money they are willing to during a buy out of a coach. Weird to me that we hear huge numbers thrown around then but when it comes to recruits we hear a lot of “the system is broken”

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Probably because Napier would tell a kid not to lead the other school on. That’s a low character move. Either your word is your word or it’s not. One thing I like about his recruiting classes is they all are good dudes from good families.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    It wasn’t the right fit for him, apparently.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Yep, I see that we can add some more portal guys to add to our class number and move up in the rankings. It ain't over yet...... I like all the guys we got. Really like the tall safety kid. Really want to see some headhunters on D next season. This year we were young so a hall pass is expected for the youth. Turnarounds are not pretty but the youth playing is a part of a redo...... Hopefully the improvement comes with coaching mistakes we made last year and we get a few more wins due to the new coaches coming in and the experience gained by our youngsters. C'mon Billy, you need to learn from the mistakes last year and get our "process" to start paying dividends. I'm behind you and want to see you succeed. "Let's do it!
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 5
  15. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    At least he is consistent. If you think guys who sell out at the last minute for a bigger bag of cash after insisting for 6 months that they are committed to your program are low character dudes, then why would you want the type of player that would do that to another school in your favor on your team. One thing I will say about Billy's teams so far (knock on wood), you don't ever seem to hear about guys getting in trouble off the field. I wonder, thoguh, if the NIL money might have something to do with that. Maybe these guys have contracts with companies that won't pay them if they have off-the-field trouble, so the money helps keep them in line.

16. Numbers don't lie: 6 Weeks ago our recruiting class was ranked #3...5-straight losses resulted in the defections and our ultimate freefall to #16.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    A point could also be easily made that they ran away from fans like this.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Getting back on topic, the one thing I took from his presser is his emphasis on getting to know the kids, their families and their stories. Another take was the shocker that a 19-year old offensive line recruit just started lifting weights a week or two ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Diagree. We really need immediate impact transfer guys as we need to have 7-8 wins this year or we are losing our AD and HC and in another rebuild. If we lost lagway and LJ I'd be more on board with you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    I like that he is keeping the focus on the kids we did sign. That's the right approach and we did sign a lot of great players that can contribute.

Today hurt, though, and I don't think it's being melodramatic to point that out. Not sure why so many of these posts have this adversarial tone. What are you going to do if I disagree with you? Rip up my degree and dub me a nole?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.