Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Gems from My Guy Coach Billy Napier

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by murphree_hall, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    The the 2nd paragraph is BS.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Napier brought in Etienne so how is he not a Napier guy? Blocking matters. Etienne is the better home run threat and a great runner but Johnson does everything. So much venom spewed against every move Napier makes. Meanwhile, the Etienne family is outing themselves as self centered Jerks that aren't hesitant to slam teammates publicity...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Johnson is the guy I want next to me in the trenches. And protecting my blindside when needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Etienne was the better runner, Johnson the better at everything else except maybe receiving was a wash.

The problem is, do we have anyone on the bench that can replace the thing that Etienne did well? Johnson isn't going to be able to play every snap in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yep that pretty much sums it up

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Napier and “snake oil” do not belong in the same sentence. His process may not be exciting, but CBN is anything but a snake oil salesman. I don’t think even you believe that

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I said "if." I do not know if that was part of the "process" BN sold the UF admin (he obviously sold something based on SS's comments about him being consummately prepared with a detailed plan to get UF back on the right track). However, if following the Clemson process was any meaningful portion of what he proposed at UF then it had an expiration date of 2020.

8. cdngator411

cdngator411 All American

Oct 28, 2017
    I think his process would have crushed it pre NIL/portal. Can he adjust fast enough to allow for a process that can succeed in this current wild west environment? I sure hope so, as another coaching change will set us back another 3-4 years.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Easy for Urbs to say when he walked into a team loaded with Ron Zook’s players

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Otherwise he would have been HC at Notre Dame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Senior

Nov 9, 2019
    what is your evidence to claim that plan expired in 2020?

12. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    One of the reasons we can appreciate Ron Zook.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Just to be clear I was talking about Clemson's plan, not necessarily Napier's plan.

14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Bowling Green?
    Utah?
    He did pretty well there too. Pretty sure those teams weren’t loaded.

Meyer is a great coach with other people’s players and his own.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The team he inherited from Ron Zook was loaded. He also inherited Troy Smith at Utah.

I didn’t question his coaching abilities — I did poke fun at his comment when he has inherited and won with other peoples’ talent at his two most significant stops

16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014

Troy Smith was OSU
    Alex Smith was Utah. He developed Alex at Utah. It wasn’t like he came to Utah as the next big thing. Meyer deserves a ton of credit for developing guys. Lots of his ability to develop had to do with setting guys up for success. he always knew how to adapt offenses to suit his quarterbacks .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yep - I got the wrong Smith. But you get my point. I’m not trashing Urbs, but he of all people shouldn’t be talking like inherited roster talent isn’t significant to short-term success. And Mullen had a hand in developing Alex Smith too (and whoever was BGSU’s QB). Urbs made great things happen, but he didn’t achieve what he did without a hell of a lot of help. Case in point: Florida’s nosedive once Strong and Mullen moved on.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.