Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Some Gems from My Guy Coach Billy Napier

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by murphree_hall, Dec 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, I know that. I agree with your reasoning on why those schools did well.

My question is not why did those above listed teams (and a few others like Texas) do so well, but why did WE lose so many? I didn't see any other teams getting raided like we did. Maybe because our class was TOO good given (1) our relative lack of success on the field (and therefor percieved NFL opportunities) and (2) the fact that our NIL game isn't at the level of some of the "poacher" teams. A team can do very well when either of those two is true. But if neither is true, then you probably have a top 10 ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Texas is also a playoff team. They don’t have to overpay. Given a choice between Auburn and Georgia with no fanship involved and they both pay $250,000 a year, which one are you going to?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I believe the problem isn’t the funding with our NIL, as much as it is how it is allocated. There are some players you may counter offer with …and others that just price themselves outside of the pay band.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    The fact that we had a bunch of highly rated commits in the first place is what's creating the perception that we "lost" a lot of the class or got "raided." It's obvious that Billy got these guys willing to come. It seems we either underestimated the bags that were going to be dropped or we overestimated our ability to drop bags.

Either way the staff will have some lessons learned, but we did get highly rated guys at positions of need, we've done some work in the portal, and the offseason is far from over. This is why evaluation is premature until we actually know who's going to be on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Well at least you admit you see some of the glaring issues 2 years in.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We were 5-7

7. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Process is always changing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Texas definitely overpaying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Umm....is this a serious question? Literally all of them lol

Ever hear of a guy named Kyle Trask? What about Pitts? All those guys committed under McElwain. Mullen brought in some impact players from the portal, but he won with McElwain's recruits. This has been discussed ad nauseam

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    You come off so condescending in support of Mullen and then ask a question like this? Trask, Pitts, Gardner, polite, Henderson, swain, Hammond, toney, Scarlett, Perine, Zuniga, Davis, Miller, etc etc etc

Mullen brought in van Jefferson and Grimes to fill out the recieving which was huge and then Shuler as a solid and necessary bolster to the defensive line. He hardly brought anyone in after that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree 100%. The big time programs may bid high for 1 kid but your right they don’t have to outbid others as their current state of the program sells itself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I heard Urban say something on Ali Peak’s show recently.

Bssically he said your players are your players. If you come into a program you don’t get to say I need my players. You win with who you have. I’m summarizing of course but just love Urb’s mindset and mentality. I’ll get guys I need but we are gonna win with who’s here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They are justing paying across the board. I doubt they are paying like losing schools are paying. Losers have to pay more in general, that’s just common sense. They can overpay if they need to for certain players but maybe they really don’t have to like Miami would, Probably us too

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It took Mullen four full years to wreck the program and it may take the next guy tgat long to build it back. It’s being attempted through recruiting maiming hs kids so we don’t have what fsu has. Fsu will spin the wheel and see what they have next year. They will have to get lucky to be a playoff team next year. The true powers build through hs recruiting and supplement through the portal. Freshmen and soos which is all Napier has don’t win against good teams. It’ll be 25 before Napier has upperclassmen that he recruited. It may go south and they may all transfer before that but it’s impossible to build a hs pipeline of talent like Bama and Georgia have any faster. Birthdays only come once a year. Hopefully we pick up a handful of rentals this year to win a couple extra games. All those freshmen we played aren’t going to be seniors next year no matter how much folks jump up and down.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So when a guy leaves to go to the NFL that’s a bad thing?
    Other than Henderson all those guys went pro. Furthermore Henderson left under Napier a theme that’s becoming all too common place.

16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Yet when guys were leaving in droves recently the theme here was they weren’t willing to work or weren’t very good. Thus the huge issue with depth on the defensive side of the ball.

The cognitive dissonance with respect to our player retention is just puzzling to me. Must be the fans fault.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    When should we expect top players that the new guy recruited for his system to stop leaving after 1-2 years to go to our rivals or even lesser schools?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    You have 10 guys calling you in the weeks and days before ESD asking for $100k more. What do you do?
    $250k more?
    $500k more?
    $1,000,000 more?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Is it? That sounds like on the job training to me.

What evidence do you see other than coach speak to support this idea?

New and creative gaffs on special teams?
    Poor clock management, poor play calls in key spots during the game?

20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    What? You asked what talent Mac left Mullen. All those guys and then some were there when Mullen got there. Mullen added very little talent in his time there. Wrong Henderson btw. Cj Henderson. Basically you're saying Mullen was left with a bunch of pro talent....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.