Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Im surprised that more female athletes have not taken the Olivia Dunn approach to marketing themselves and to.be honest their looks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    My bills are paid, and I’m the only person I know even close to my age that lives debt free, thank you very much. Not in the habit of paying other people’s bills for them though. I like to watch my money grow. There’s no ROI for me in handing cash over to college athletes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. NWGaGator

NWGaGator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    I won't swear to this, but I thought I read somewhere that Parker Valby has an NIL deal with Nike. Of course, now that she's turning professional, she'll probably sign a new and more lucrative deal. More power to her.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Phil Knight (nike) money backs Oregon. Gatorade is owned by pepsico. There’s no nostalgic tie to UF. The school still gets royalties, but all of it goes to the academic side. Without some sort of nostalgic tie (love’s, fedex, nike, etc), big companies like that expect a return on their investment. You’d have to be a well established household name to draw their attention.

Some kids do get real NIL deals. Lagway appeared in a Gatorade commercial, don’t know how much he got for that appearance though. He was the Gatorade POY in hs, so more than likely has something to do with that. Caleb Douglas did a commercial with a local group of Dr’s, then transferred out of UF a month later. Dr’s weren’t too happy about that, as they spent a considerable amount of money.

Majority of the deals are still going to be done with collectives, which is nothing more than fan funded pay for play. They do some things, make some appearances, sign some autographs, but most are getting paid money that makes no financial sense. The folks contributing the majority of that money will never see a penny back. Also a very good possibility you’ll get to see the players you’ve given your money to transfer out and play against your team at some point. It is not what I would consider a wise investment.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I will get a ROI from seeing the player at KSP for the season. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 8
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think NIL is beyond wasteful and dumb (a 20 year old is just gonna piss that money away on things that don’t accumulate value in most cases, it’s basically flushing money down a drain), but everyone has their own version of what that ROI means. If folks feel their investment makes them happy, then more power to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Great, you spend your money on whatever makes you happy. If this falls under your entertainment budget, I’m all for you and everyone else spending their money however they like.

For me, directly funding the payroll of a college sports team falls outside of the constraints of my entertainment budget, which would shift this into the investment category. Being that I’ll never see a dime of this money back, it’s a poor investment on my part. If the product becomes no longer entertaining, I will also quit spending a portion of my entertainment budget on it, and will seek entertainment from somewhere else.

8. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Not all 20 year old are wasteful or dumb - these are ladies that are in university so they have that going for them.

To your point about being wasteful - CTW told us a story this year about a particular player who, when she received her first NIL check for $ 1,500.00, promptly invested it in a CD (and I don't mean a music CD but a Certificate of Deposit)

Also others invested in AJ1's which some people know either hold their value or appreciate in value.

So your generalization is false in this case.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course he is going to highlight cases like that, it makes people more comfortable, it’s a smart sales technique. But look at our football parking lot for example.

So I would bet the smart savers are the exception, heck think back to when any of us were 20, saving was the last thing on lost of our minds.
    Of course without seeing everyone’s finances we will never know for sure, so no use arguing about it. Like I said, if you enjoy giving, that’s great. It’s just not for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    IF I were to pony up any $$$ for NIL, I'd consider this payout as an expense, not an investment.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Bunch of Dodges there. Perhaps a dealer "helping out?"

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Do what makes YOU happy. If you don’t contribute, just don’t complain.

13. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Her endorsement deal when she turns pro will be worth between 500k - 800k according to what I read.

• Like Like x 2
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ve never once complained about UF fans not giving enough in any sport. I complain about the whole concept that highest bidder wins all the time though. It’s not sustainable.

• Like Like x 2
  15. kittie11

kittie11 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    It's true that girls mature faster than boys. It shows in the football parking lot.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Wasn’t meaning to single you out. Speaking in general.

The highest bidder thing is just what it is. I did not think it was sustainable either, but only seems to be getting worse. With the new rules allowing the schools to pay directly, maybe it will ease some of the strain on the smaller sports, but I’m not really optimistic about that. I think the teams/fanbases/alumni that want to spend the most will continue to do so. If you want to compete with them, there’s things you can do to help without necessarily draining your personal bank account. If you don’t want to spend the money or raise it, I don’t see the point in being upset that you’re being outbid. That’s just life.

I’m not even completely convinced that being the highest bidder is the best route. Hard to argue with OU’s results, but I like our team. Finding players that are willing to take less than they can get elsewhere because they want to play for your team may not be the worst thing in the world. I think there’s a high possibility of finding a group of players that will make a better TEAM in the long run. I also think those players are less likely to be tempted to transfer for financial reasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Did you have a fat finger on @NWGaGator's post about Parker?

18. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Since twitter finally announced to the roster I wonder if we hear any other additions soon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    The kickers are the ones driving the Toyotas right? :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  20. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    The smart ones‍!