Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Lol, ok. Weird way to word that post, but ok.

The way the post reads is that the collective would be willing to give Canady the same money they gave Skylar. Not that they’d be willing to give Canady the same money that Skylar may have been worth.

2. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I would not consider our pitching coach controversial!
    There was never any public animosity. I agree it was done quickly, but it needed to be done to assure the pitchers present and to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    That one had obviously been in the works for a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    That there hasn't been an announcement from us is par for the course. But on Prothro's social media she is still trumpeting herself as the head coach at Memphis and that seems a little strange.

5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    lol....we did announce it....39 minutes ago while I am watching college baseball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    All this talk about OU buying their softball team, but today my mind was a little blown when I saw this article since paying cash for ringers doesn't really go hand in hand with being a witness for Christ:

OU’S PATTY GASSO FOCUSES ON WINNING SOULS MORE THAN GAMES
    https://www.baptistmessenger.com/ous-patty-gasso-focuses-on-winning-souls-more-than-games/

“That’s when God really made it clear,” Gasso said. “‘You need to stay here, and this is where you need to do My work.’ I started to understand that my job is more to open the door for Christ to win souls. It’s not about me.”

And for 18 years since, Gasso has done just that, doing her best to glorify God along the way and instilling in her players something much deeper than wins and losses on the softball diamond.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    I put “pitching coaching carousel controversy” in quotes because I was presuming that OU was making it a controversial issue in Canady’s mind to influence her decision as to which program she would choose. CTW chose wisely. It is now up Canady to determine which University and Softball program meets her career and softball life goals.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Now we will see if there ever is an announcement regarding the student assistant. I could be wrong but I don't recall that Charla was ever officially announced and you had to figure it out when Fall ball started. Wouldn't surprise me if we need to wait until then for confirmation unless the suspected individual posts something on her own.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Oklahoma program is extremely religiously orientated. There was a lengthy article, probably last year, describing it. They basically have organized worship 24/7/365 and that isn't much of an exaggeration. The vast majority of players attend but, supposedly, any player who wishes not to be involved in religious activities is free not to attend. One has to wonder, however, considering how pervasive it is, if anyone that opts out isn't ostracized to some extent. I'll try to find the article but haven't got a lot of hope I will succeed.

11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Im religious and i font lile that

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    As I expected, I can't find the specific article I had in mind. I did a google for "oklahoma softball and their religious emphasis" and there are more hits than you can count so I can't find the one article that went into great depth regarding this issue that I found informative.

13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Jocey is LDS, and that is not evangelical as in Oklahoma.
    I wonder if that was an influence on her leaving?

• Like Like x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Could be. No real idea. Jocey is very religious in her own faith. I read somewhere that Tim was influential in setting her up with like minded folks in Gainesville but that is outside the formality of our program, as it should be. That was one of the things that pounded on me reading the article I referenced. Not just regarding those that may have a different viewpoint on religion but also there are a myriad of different faiths and I wondered how that would fit in the Oklahoma program. We have several kids who appear to be of great faith. Aubree Munro, from the past, is obsessive about her faith and it is the primary focus of her life. But, I have never heard that religion is a formal part of our program as at Oklahoma. Edit: I should have added, although it does not appear a formal emphasis on religion is a part of our program, everyone also appears to be encouraged to practice whatever they wish outside the walls of the program. As I said, faith appears to be the most important thing to Aubree and, yet, without it being emphasized in our program, you won't find anyone that loves Tim and the Gators more than her and supports the program more with every last ounce of her being.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I find it odd that if they are attracting the "mercenary, I am in it for the cash type of athlete" that they are at the same time claiming to be extremely spiritual, since that is very inconsistent with true faith. Not that a Christian shuns money but it's not a primary motivator.

• Winner Winner x 3
  16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lol, fake juice. Pretty common in locker rooms. Kinda like Freeze ordering up hookers for players on fri’s and sat’s, then baptizing them on Sunday morning.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. kittie11

kittie11 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The attitude of some of their players aren't like the teaching of my faith. I was always thought to be humble and loving. Be like Jesus not a a$$ hole.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Please, enough with this “In the know” stuff.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that at least two others here besides myself gave 20k each for a two year period to start the Softball NIL program. Last year each player got 3 checks for $ 1,500.00 and the balance of the 200k went into a reserve fund. Just three weeks ago, the same group of supporters gave at least 20k more for this year and next.

So yes, all the players got the same amount.

Players were able to set up their own NIL deals and Skylar did with various business in town. So of course she made more NIL money, albeit, on her own, not through the NIL program that was set up.

A few weeks ago, we had a meeting with CTW and he is trying to raise more money and has come to the realization that the all equal amount is still a good idea but he knows he will need to have extra money to offer our “5 stars” players and money to pay for “signing bonuses”

So if you want to keep mocking the “in the know” posters, feel free to post about it and we will just keep all the info to ourselves, unless you would like to pony up 20k and you too can be “In the know”

I can tell you that some of us have already stopped posting info and I’ll keep offering info that is ok to share, but it will not be in an open thread like this, that you can read, it’ll be in private messages to folks who appreciate the info we bring.

People like you drove away all the football insiders and now people like you are driving away the softball insiders as well.

Now you can get your info from a random twitter poster instead of people that are in the room when these things are discussed.

Go Gators!

• Like x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Is it possible to actually give 15 stars to one singular post?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Thank you 1990 - you hit the nail on the head which is why we have started our own private conversation where we freely share information with each other without a worry about it going here or being mocked as "in the know". Yes, I am one of the other ones who gave the money like 1990. You can still set up through Sandman a NIL donation of any amount of $100 or more which will go 100% to NIL.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1