Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I would love to see it. Can't imagine the stress she feels having to pitch them to 1-0 and 2-1 games all season.

2. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Was the link to this rumor ever given? I saw on reddit where they're saying from rumors of parents and stuff that she's entering the portal.

3. Stlouie

Stlouie Junior

Jan 11, 2010
    I mean didn’t we have barnhill ocascio and degourney. I think that worked out well

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. sweatinwith6

sweatinwith6 Sophomore

Jan 22, 2024
    I only saw the OU/Canady rumor on reddit. That would be a nightmare

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kittie11

kittie11 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando
    OU always buy players

6. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Running down the street screaming with joy only counts if naked lol. I shaved my head for our girls not that long ago. Go all in!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I’d give you fifty best post ever for that post if I could.

• Like Like x 2
  8. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I get what you’re saying and I understand that for the very reasons you pointed out UF might not be the most attractive place for SOME players. But you’re breaking it down to how many starts and innings do I get. There’s no I in team. I don’t know how many wins Keagan got this season, close to 40? That’s way too much for any pitcher even Canady. I don’t want any of our pitchers to have more than 20 wins next season. That way they all will be fresh for the championship grind. And all opposing offenses will have to prepare for multiple aces all season long. The game is different now, even the Cat Ostermans of the world would need support in this day and age. So to potential pitchers I’d say you’re not going to pitch every inning every day but you will have plenty of opportunities to shine. And win national championships.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Despite all the present and incoming talent I believe we still need a veteran arm. Rumors aside there’s a lot of pitching talent out there. We need an arm but it has to be the right arm. Personally I like Baylors ace, she’d fit right in perfectly imo. I think Canady is super classy and mature and she’d fit perfectly also but cmon man, that’s just a dream. CTW wants talent but I think team and character is more important to him. Let OU have the mercs, wanna be a Gator? Class

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocalaman, if we were fortunate enough to land Canady I’m wondering if there might be a chance that Ava Brown concentrates as an everyday player? First base is all hers next year and she showed the ability of being a bigtime hitter. Splitting her time doing both hitting and pitching may be slowing her development in both. Depending on how Miller develops and whether Oxley is the real deal, Brown might be better off concentrating on being the everyday first baseman. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 4
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Maybe. But Tim Walton says that Brown is a generational talent who has "IT". I think she could be another Lauren Haeger, who pitches and hits. We'll see, but there will be a lot of competition for position next year, even without portal additions.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re right. She’s the closest we’ve had to a legitimate two way since Haeger. I would only suggest it if we were fortunate to land Canady. Having two franchise pitchers that Walton would alternate every other day at tournament time and even in SEC series wouldn’t leave too many meaningful minutes for anyone else. Of course you’d want to have a third and fourth pitcher in the wings. If Brown continues to develop that’s probably her. But if it’s Miller or Oxley, then let Brown give us another powerful hitter who can hopefully extend the lineup. Let’s see how it plays out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I think Brown is going to develop a lot this year.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I considered adding that. But several years ago, in a situation where I don't recall the specifics, I bet I would run naked down Peachtree. I almost lost the bet....it was close. I assure you, at this stage of my life, nobody wants to see me running naked anywhere for any reason.

• Funny Funny x 9
  15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I totally get your point...and agree with the sentiment. But I'm not sure I see Canady as a merc, I certainly wouldn't call Skylar, Korbe or Jecelyn that although I'm sure some outsiders would.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I wasn’t implying that Canady is a merc, I think she’s a class act and would be a great fit. My point was OU can have all the classless mercs but if a kid wants to be a Gator under CTW she has to have character not just talent.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    watched several canady interviews last night on youtube. she appears to have character to match her talent

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well not only did she choose Stanford, but she also had to have the grades to get in. While not what a general admit there would need, you still need really good numbers. And then she won player of the year on top of it.
    All tells me she is mature and has her head screwed on straight. Would be a great get, but still seems like a game of telephone a bit. We will see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. huunterhound

huunterhound Sophomore

Mar 28, 2024
    That comment about Brown perhaps focusing more on one position is the kind of stuff I was trying to get to should we add a pitcher the quality of Canady. It will change what that staff looks like and I think worth discussing. Also, didn't Keagan also have an insane 400 plus batting average with tons of HRs? I also thought that Oxley batted as well. I had asked earlier if Keagan wasn't batting because of her injury recovery and workload being placed on her or is Ava a better batter? With the players coming in, we may not NEED a pitcher to hit unless they are indeed a difference maker at the plate. Aside from the HR potential, Brown probably would not be as consistent as the new players coming in. I personally think some time spent in the off-season with Coach Holloway would improve Avas average close to 100 points. She relies on everything reaching the wall to get on base. Improving her running techniques after contact and simply getting to 1st a fraction of a second earlier would make her dangerous. Probably a part of her game that really can't be worked on with dual responsibility. Also, before anyone criticizes me, I know the track coach doesn't coach other teams, tongue in cheek comment.

20. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    If education is more important to her she will stay at Stanford. If winning a WCWS is more important to her she will go to Florida Texas or Oklahoma. I'll bet she stays. Being the number one at Stanford is a pretty good gig.