Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Somebody else on a different board said that and I have no clue. I have seen her catch. I have seen her play multiple infield positions. I have never heard of her pitching. I assume this has to be high school. I have watched her twitter for quite some time and she is moderately active including a lot of high school stuff and never anything that I recall about pitching. Do you have any specifics?

2. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    This.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Scrappy "baconed" this. I am curious why if he would explain. I thought the original post was basically asking a question (with some guessing included) as to how the overall NIL situation is handled. While I doubt anyone knows the answer as Walton runs a tighter ship than the CIA, I think it a very good question and I would love to know the answer. Scrappy...why the problem with that question?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Seems clear why Scrappy "baconed" that. He likes CTW smile. Come to think of it, it is a good smile.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lots of discussion on these boards about NIL and who gets what, when and how. Curious, how many of you folks on here donate to Gator softball? Asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I baconed it as well.
    Here are the numbers:

Some posters here were approached to start a softball NIL. They were tying to raise 100k per year for a two year commitment. So a total of 200k per year. Coach Walton wanted the 100k split evenly by all the players. If there are 20 on the roster 5k a piece, 24 players on the roster 4k a piece. BTW, the 200k was raised inside two weeks by about 15 donors - they were looking for a minimum of 10k a year and a two year commitment.

as to other NIL, some players (Kendra, Skylar, Charla and Pal Egan) did get some NIL money from then The Gator Collective.

so to answer your question, no Coach Walton did not spend any/all his NIL on any future players, they get paid when they are on the team.

one more point, the players get three checks, I believe one every three months from November till summer.

any other questions?

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Thanks Friend:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    If you don't have 10k per year to donate and want funds to only go to softball (so Florida Victorious is out) are there any options?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Thanks. I had heard before that he splits the money evenly between the team. Which then begs the question that has always confounded me.....does he actually participate in high dollar bidding wars for elite players in the portal or does he refuse?

10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    You and me both brother. I'm retired, living on a minor pension, social security and my investments. There's no $10,000 to give or anything close to a very small percentage of that. If I know I'm kicking off in the next five years....no problem. If I live the next 20 years or more....big problem.

11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Ariel Kowalewski's (Richmond, TX) Fort Bend Travis High School Softball Stats

Also, Korbe Otis was a very good pitcher in high school. Didn't pitch her 2 years at Louisville. But this is in her Bio at Louisville: Tabbed the 2019 Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) 5A Player of the Year after finishing the season with a .695 batting average with 25 RBIs and 39 stolen bases and carrying a 24-2 record in the circle with 315 strikeouts and a 0.91 ERA

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    We are behind other schools in raising NIL money, and how we distribute it.
    Many get contributions for new players, but maybe not the returning ones. How do you keep a peaceful locker room?
    Maybe they do take care of all and we don’t know. But, I have never heard that.
    CTW’s idea of an equal split is spot on, but we need a slush fund to acquire portal players.
    UF does not have the money of an OK and never will.
    Dawn Staley opened up WBB NIL to the tune of $65,000.
    Oklahoma gave Maxwell $50,000 and is going to pay her vet school tuition at Oklahoma State for four years. That is several hundred thousand dollars.
    Oklahoma had a pitcher that was gonna be the ace since BAHL left. They then brought in transfers from Wisconsin and liberty. And now they’ve got Maxwell.
    If I were them, I would be pissed.
    Therefore, it’s a lot more complicated than we sometimes realize. I’m sure we will get it worked out, but I don’t know how long.
    The reason I gave bacon while ago was just all the wondering if we paid this class to come in or whatever. That did not happen. Also, Otis, and Jocey never even asked about NIL. The saga will continue.
    One more thing and I’ll quit. Maxwell was in Oklahoma State for four years and now is going to play for Oklahoma. She better watch her back when she goes back to Oklahoma State for vet school.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. I made that same comment elsewhere.....how in the world do you dump your school....go to your arch rival to beat you.....and then just stroll back for classes. I would think you'd need an armed guard. Something about this doesn't make sense. Or their naivete is boundless. Or OU is paying for vet school but it doesn't have to be at Okie State.

14. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Hundreds of thousands of dollars to play softball. Ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Vawter may be the exception with the Stanford undergrad degree. But the typical UF grad makes about 12k more a year than the average USC grad, so she might make that money back a bunch of times over by coming here. And play for a better program. but kids are kids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't think anyone at the Oklahoma State veterinary school will care where Maxwell played softball as an undergrad.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Something is terribly wrong here. One of the best softball programs in the nation with the best incoming freshman class in the nation and the second winningest coach in the nation has currently two pitchers on staff. It is beyond my comprehension

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    FV has many levels of contributions, just designated what you give to softball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Look at the different levels of giving on FV. Designate it for softball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    That’s exactly what a couple of us are working on right now. So far the only option is to donate to Florida Victorious and specify for softball only and we believe that the funds will be allotted to softball. We’re looking to get confirmation on this in the next day or two.

• Informative Informative x 1