Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Softball Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by wild4softball, Jun 22, 2022.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How successful is the business? What are her long term goals?
    Pretty much everyone is going to be employed in some fashion. No idea if she wants to coach on the big stage or develop her own niche business, but she checks a lot of the boxes we would be looking for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    The best players are not always the best coaches. A lot of the best coaches spent a lot of time on the pine in their playing years, or never even played the sport they’re coaching, at least not a high level.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    A former player's performance in a given College World Series is probably the least relevant factor in evaluating their ability to coach at a high level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

theemaxpower said:
    Encouraging is super and it's helpful. BUT she did get pulled out of the lineup for the final game of the WCWS because she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Although, she did walk 5 times 3 being HBP. But other than that she was 0-8 with 5 strikeouts. Don't get me wrong I liked her and cheered her on. But saying she was the heart of the championship teams (especially 2015) is kinda suspect. Haeger batted .571 3HRS and 7RBIS that's what hearts do.. they lead by example. Anyway..Go Gators!!

It is NOT suspect. I sat behind the bench during the years she was a Gator. She WAS ALWAYS at the center of helping teammates...including Lauren Haeger. You should be pleased that you were wrong about this one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    My answer was a quick defensive answer, after reading it I deleted it. I understand all those things on your reply.. But why I do think, IF the Francesca rumor is false, why I would choose Ocasio over Bailey (if Bailey would come) is I think Ocasio is a few years younger and she did play practically everywhere plus pitching and batting. She could relate to our two ace freshman pitchers AND fielder/batters. I just think she'd be a jack of all trades. I don't know I could be wrong. It's just my opinion...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    BC Sports LLC
    https://www.bcsportsfl.com/

7. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The opinion that the better player will automatically make the best coach is deeply flawed. I don’t know if either of the girls you’re talking about will be a good coach and don’t think either have enough coaching experience to make a qualified assumption about their future performance in that role.

Playing and coaching are two vastly different things. A lot of times, the best players have so much talent and such great instincts, it’s actually very hard for them to teach others how to do it. It comes naturally to them and they have a hard time relating to those who need so much more input on how to do something correctly. This is true in all walks of life. It’s how the saying “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach” came about. That doesn’t mean a good player can’t be a good coach, it just means it’s not a pre-requisite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Why is all of this in the portal thread?

9. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Not sure, but you’ve contributed to the off topic part of the conversation multiple times yourself so it must not be that big of a deal.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the business.....and that may well be her preferred career path. But sometimes the path changes or isn't what was envisioned. Those type programs tend to be feast or famine. Again, I have NO idea about her or the business, just thinking out loud.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm reminded of a very successful major league guy that was coaching in Cent Fl. He tended to teach what had worked for him, problem being he never seemed to get that most players just didn't have his skill set. What came easily and naturally to him was unattainable for many.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's fair, and a good point. By the same token, Castro has college coaching experience. Which also means she has been a recruiter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    By most accounts Ted Williams was nit a very good coach.l

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. jhoge53_

jhoge53_ Junior

Aug 16, 2015
    When I was a kid last century, my family drove to Fort Myers (FLA) to watch a spring training game between the hometown Royals and the Washington Senators, coached by Ted Williams. After the game, we fans were underneath the bleachers slowly making our way to the parking lot. I noticed a parting of the crowd like it was the Red Sea. It was Ted Williams and the coaching staff walking to the dressing room. OMG, Teddy Ballgame, the Splendid Slinter. Everyone gaping. Ted looking straight ahead. Years later my uncle, Father James, gave me a baseball autographed by Mr. Williams. I gave it to a friend who is a rabid Red Sox fan. What a ballplayer!

• Like Like x 3
  15. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I would love that!! But I would also miss her as a broadcaster. her and Kyle make such a great broadcasting team

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Was it confirmed vawter went on a campus visit to florida? I read she took a campus visit to FSU. However, I did not see anything about vawter visiting Florida's campus. I apologize if this was already asked and answered.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  17. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure if she made it to UF but she has been in South Africa from June 23 through July 14.

18. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Eberle back at OKST as new pitching coach.

19. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    That was fast. I wonder if kelly knew Carrie is the new pitching coach and if that influenced her decision to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    OR, maybe Kelly just had a hankerin' to play for the Gators...?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1